“Surprisingly good pho”

Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The menu is extremely varied. Before looking at the menu, I advised the server as to what sort of light meal I was seeking and she immediately made some recommendations for me that were superb. Attentive service, nice wine selection. Fussy palates supported.

There are newer reviews for Gio

Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Went here for new years eve. Had the foie gras and oysters to start. Seared foiegras was amazing, the tart it was on was a bit hard but tasted great. The terrine was decadent, but served with far too little 'crisps' to spread it on. Oysters were ok, fresh but condiments were unexciting. Had the elk dish as a main, probably one of the best dishes I have ever eaten! The only complaint was the radishes served almost as a garnish, they had no business on that plate. Had the ginger beer cake for desert, not very good.

Service was slow snd wasn't even that busy. Took almost 25 mins to come back with our bottle of wine. She forgot to put in an order for one of our cocktails. Slow to refill our wine and didn't leave bottle on table.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I ate at the bar rather than in the restaurant as there was no one in the restaurant due to weather. I wanted light dishes, so started with the chowder, which was excellent. It definitely needed to be kicked up a notch with some heat, and my server was able to bring some Sambal sauce rather than relying on Tabasco or Franks, both of which don't do it for me. The finished product was great, I should have ordered a larger bowl. I then ordered the crab cakes, as the duck which I always enjoyed here had been removed from the menu. I have had crab cakes from Boston to San Fran to Alaska, and any restaurant in Halifax should be able to deliver a quality product. I couldn't eat the two of them; overcooked, dry, and way more filler than crab, in fact I couldn't even taste the crab. So disappointing after expecting what can be a wonderful dish. The server removed it from my bill, but that was not really what I was looking for when I had to tell her of my disappointment.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Reservation necessary as it was very busy, but when we told the waitress we were in a rush the food came out quickly. I had the gnocchi which was amazing for the first few bites but became progressively salty as I dug in deeper. My colleagues both had the soup of the day (asparagus) and the beet salad which they both said was great. The bread was warm and delicious (it had piece of dried fruit, so was almost like raisin bread). Service was good, and if we had the time we would have stayed for dessert because the dessert menu was very tempting.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We recently had a pre-theatre dinner with friends, the first time I have visiting Gio in 2-3 years. It was better than I had experienced prior. Our server was amazing, everything arrived at the correct time, glasses were always full, and she was hardly noticed (the mark of great service). I had the sea bass tacos as an appetizer. The sea bass was perfect. The hen entree was very good. My wife had the beet salad followed by salmon - each was spectacular. Can't wait to visit again.

1  Thank RBG-Halifax