“Disappointed this time”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I have often dined at the Dharma Sushi, usually after attending an afternoon matinee performance at the Neptune Theatre. This past Saturday, we decided not to change our routine, although, because we were in California all winter, this was our first time for about six months.

As we have been there often in previous years, we expected it to be as delightful an experience as it has always been. How wrong we were!

We were, as in the past, greeted cheerfully and told to seat ourselves. It started very well, for our favourite table for two right by the window on the street,was asking us to sit at it.

We ordered green tea and a large warm filtered saki. Both came, but when I asked if they had any uni (sea urchin), which many do not like, my prescience proved correct: there was none. Perhaps a common dislike of uni is why many sushi restaurants do not carry them. Nor, our server told us, did they have any tuna. Now, a sushi restaurant without tuna is like an aeroplane without an engine: the engine is the driver and much else fails. Likewise with a restaurant. Nor did they have any red snapper.

We did have yellow tail, scallop and mackerel sashimi, along with the same as Nigiri sushi. We also had yellowtail Nigiri and a second order of yellow tail and mackerel. Total cost (including another small sake and tip) was $74.

Our server was as pleasant and professional as usual, but with several key items missing from the menu, we left very disappointed.

There were few other diners while we sat at our table, so we were left with the question, where were the Asians who used always to be eating there while we were there? Is the economy having a deleterious effect on the Dharma?

Because we have been very satisfied in the past, we will likely try this restaurant again - hopefully with a better experience.

1  Thank Melville P

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Went for a Monday lunch, no waiting. Ate inside due to the sun angle on the sidewalk. Quick and friendly service. Vegetable tempura and sushi were very good. Standard prices. The green tea ice cream was not very tasty. We would return.

1  Thank Kim54
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Fine Japanese food at reasonable prices.
Excellent beef, fine soup, excellent Sushi with good variety.

1  Thank XavierNovaScotia
Reviewed August 28, 2011

This place came recommended in a Japanese guidebook and I am quite sure that we would not have ventured in had we just passed the place by chance. It looks quite low-key from outside and it doesn't look very special inside either. However, my wife (Japanese) immediately noticed how very authentic it was: furniture, decoration and menu of a typical restaurant in Japan for a casual, everyday lunch or dinner.
While most of the servers and all the chefs are Japanese, the fish is apparently local and extremely fresh.
On our first visit, we chose from the set-menus for lunch which are excellent value for the quality offered (9,- CAD).
We liked the place so much that we made a point of returning for another meal on the last day of our vacation and this really was the culinary highlight of our trip to NS and PEI: we had their signature lobster menu featuring lobster-sashimi, lobster tempura, grilled lobster, lobster sushi and lobster miso-soup. You have to call a day or two in advance so they can make sure the live lobsters arrive in the restaurants just ahead of you.
It was simply amazing to see what japanese culinary art can make of those crustaceans of which we had become so fond of during our two weeks in NS and PEI - always eating them simply boiled...
I counted three lobsters in total for the two of us and quite a few scallops and we paid 50,- CAD per person which means this multi-course experience was not only the most memorable one of our trip, but also outstanding value!
Due to the simply decoration and atmosphere of the restaurant, I'd hesitate to recommend this place if you're looking for a romantic place. But true foodies will appreciate this place and the lobster dinner is guaranteed to turn a meal at Dharma Sushi into a special occasion.

1  Thank Richard R
Reviewed August 24, 2009

This is not the very chic japanese restaurant, but the value is very good for the price. I will be back. I am quite used to japanese restaurants, and I lived with a Japanese for a year. This one has very good sushi, sashimi and soups. I did not try the tempura. A starter of boiled soja beans was original, very authentically japanese, and flavorish. The fish sushi was also of very high quality. Vast choice of fish.
Service was very friendly and helpfull, with no pressure to leave quickly ( I appreciate to be the one who decides when it is time to go ).
Atmosphere was medium, but some art works bring Japan to mind.
Nice terrace.
Very good quality for price.