“As Always”

Da Maurizio Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Da Maurizio Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 733 Restaurants in Halifax
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Cross street: Salter
“As Always”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We were happy to return after a long absence and find the food and service as we expected - all excellent

Visited May 2013

Halifax, Canada
“Still the best restaurant in Halifax”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The food and service are exceptional. We had the calamari then the lamb shank and the beef tenderloin followed by the tiramisu and the triple creme brulee. All excellent. No more expensive than other fine dining restaurants in Halifax. We will definitely be going again.

Nova Scotia, Canada
“Enjoyed a great meal and appreciated the attentive staff here!”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We ate at Mistura's in Toronto last spring, and it was no where near as lovely a meal we had at da Maurizio's last weekend. Everything we had was delicious and especially liked the risotto. Until we can go back to Italy, I'll definitely return here!

Sydney, Canada
“Worth the price!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have been going to this restaurant for approximately 20 years. Never cease to be amazed.. the food is excellent and the staff is so friendly! My personal favourite is the escargot :)

• Visited November 2012
Cape Breton
“4 Hour Dinner? Almost expected breakfast.”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

4 Hour Dinner? Almost expected breakfast.

Along with Gio (to be reviewed) da Maurizio is one of the best restaurants in Halifax. Ambiance, service, and most importantly, food, brings the movers and shakers in Nova Scotia to da Maurizio. Alone, or with others, I've dined at this restaurant at least a half dozen times over the past two decades. It's not a place we can't afford to eat on a regular basis in the fashion that we normally enjoy. Typically when we eat at a better restaurant the pattern is similar: Martini (or other interesting item from the drinks menu) and a glass of Chardonnay for my wife. Appetizer, Main, possibly a dessert and then espresso or coffee. We drink wine with our meal. At da Maurizio you're looking at an Italian menu that beckons you to try all the courses offered, as you might in a restaurant in Italy. I suspect this isn't actually the way most customers dine at da Maurizio. The prix fixe menu offers a starter, a main and a dessert for $40, which is reasonable and, I suspect widely accepted. Neither my wallet nor waist line could accommodate a full menu discovery at this restaurant. On our visit on Saturday night, after our cocktails (my son and I gave the sour cherry Manhattan a try-nice, but we couldn't taste any alcohol) we all began with an appetizer: Scallops, Foie gras, Escargot. I ordered the roasted vegetables (listed with the salads) that we would share at the table. For pasta only my son and I ordered selections: gnocchi and ravioli. After a long, long wait (to be discussed further on) our mains arrived: Provini veal chop, Tenderloin Steak and the Seafood plate. We were approaching the point of being uncomfortably full to truly enjoy the final course. Not to be deterred, my son did order dessert (it was his birthday) pecan tarte with vanilla ice cream. We all had an espresso to finish the meal. With the tip we spent just shy of $400.
Other than the food, which was flawless, how was our experience this time out? Not great. We did make reservations for 6:30, so we were not walk-in's. We were greeted warmly and led to our table downstairs. We had never eaten before in this area of the restaurant. I have two criteria that must be met if I'm to have an exceptional psychological/emotional dining experience. First, the table has to be out of the "run way" and, secondly, the courses must flow. Neither of these requirements were met on Saturday night. The table we were led to had a low overhanging ceiling that even forced my rather short wife to duck down in order to be seated. My son is much taller and was cramped in this space. The downstairs has two rooms. The preferred would be the inner room with the fireplace. The room where we were seated has a staircase that we were seated along side. The constant running up and down of the waiters, sometimes carrying chairs, as well as the the diners coming and going was more than enough to distract me and detract from the wonderful food. Only the pace of the meal could make things worse. From the moment we were seated it was as if time stood still. We waited to be welcomed by our server, waited to order our cocktails, waited to get them, waited to order our meal, waited unreasonably long periods of time between courses. I joked that maybe we’re invited to stay for breakfast. It took four hours to complete our meal and pay. I've eaten with large groups of students in Europe where a leisurely meal took 3 hours. Three people and four hours was painful. A table of eight diners in our room was "comped" drinks because of some snafu with their orders.
So, was this particular evening exceptionally busy and the kitchen and staff could not keep up, or is this common practice now at da Maurizio? Three or four waiters regularly ascended and descended the staircase so I don't think it was a shortage of wait staff.
My advice: don't sit downstairs. If you do then refuse to sit under the stair case over hang. There are also three tables set for two that are positioned on the other side of the stairs. If a waiter brushing by you in the narrow walk way as they serve the inner tables would bother you then I would refuse those tables as well. The exception might be the inner most table which offers almost total privacy and isolation. But that also carries its risks.
How to order at da Maurizio. Unless you are intent on just sampling each course and returning your plates partially eaten, consider the prix fixe menu. But if the set menu is too restrictive you can ask your waiter if appetizer portions are available in any of the courses. A person with a normal appetite can not order from each course as you might in Italy.

The wait staff is competent, and when necessary apologetic. Unfortunately that occurred too often last night.
Would we go back? Yes. Would we recommend da Maurizio to friends. Yes again. Just watch where you sit, watch what you order, and perhaps visit on a week night instead of Saturday.
The Meals

Antipasta

1. Foie Gras:
Seared Quebec grade A foie gras, deglazed with port, orange zest, brandied cherries and demiglaze, served on toasted brioche.

2. Escargot:
Escargots sautéed with garlic, prosciutto and wild mushrooms finished with white wine, cream and shaved Montasio, served on puff pastry.

3. Scallops: Sautéed Digby scallops served with a maple, balsamic and chili reduction, accompanied by glazed pork belly and red cabbage slaw.

Insalata
1. Roasted Vegetable “Salad”
Roasted beet salad, served with goat cheese, arugula and candied pecans, dressed with a blood orange vinaigrette.

Pasta
Ravioli
1. Handmade ravioli stuffed with herb roasted chicken, sautéed with wild mushrooms, crispy prosciutto, cream and demi-glace.
2. Gnocci
Handmade gnocchi sautéed with Gorgonzola, mascarpone, fontina and Grana Padano, garnished with toasted pecans.

3. —
Secondi
1. Steak with Gorgonzola
Grilled AAA Angus tenderloin topped with Gorgonzola sauce and balsamic reduction, topped with matchstick potatoes.
2. Veal
Provimi veal chop, crusted with porcini dust and grilled medium, served with a red wine and demiglaze reduction
3. Fish stew
Mussels, halibut, scallops and shrimp sautéed with garlic, white wine, fresh herbs and roasted tomato, simmered with julienne vegetables and baby new potatoes
1. Pecan tarte with ice cream
Brown butter pecan tart served with vanilla gelato and cinnamon tuille.
3 espresso