“Hidden Gem of an Indian Restaurant”

Curry Village Restaurant
Ranked #57 of 748 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We went to Curry Village to alleviate the Curry Cravings that I experience regularly after coming to Halifax (there are not a lot of Indian Restaurants in the Town), and I would happily recommend it to others. I only knew of it through a flier, as the entrance is easily walked past unnoticed.

It has a little hidden sun deck upstairs, that is lovely in the summer evening.

The staff were very friendly, my girlfriend was in the mood for a coconutty dish, and was unsure what to order, the owner came over and offered to make up something off-menu to satisfy. Later on he came over and chatted for a while about life in Halifax.

The dishes were excellent, especially the Pakoras (bhajis), which are some of the best we have ever tasted.

It is well worth seeking out this restaurant.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We went here for dinner. The place was fairly occupied. We had our kid (2yr old) who was starving and needed something quick. We got to our seat and asked for menus. We ordered the Tarka Dal (yellow lentils) and a chappati (flat bread) for my kid and my wife ordered Aloo Tikki for starters. For mains, I ordered the Chicken Bhoona. To summarize - the dal was more garlic than lentils, could taste anything beyond the garlic. The Tikki was, well pan fried potatoes with salt. The hot and sweet sauce saved the day for a flavorless appetizer. The main was a total disappointment. I'm from India and I have never seen or tasted Chicken Bhoona the way it was represented here. Excessive turmeric and boiled chicken coated with yellowish gravy sauteed with onions, peppers. We had reached Halifax after a tiring drive all day and if it had not been for fatigue, would have walked away from this place without eating. I always say that just because you are of Indian origin or Indian - does not give you the right to open an Indian restaurant and call it Indian food! Would not recommend this place.

5  Thank vm101010
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

There is nothing to say about the food. Just fantastic! The service was, well, too fast! We hadn't time to finish our entrees the plates for main dish were on the table. Just too fast, but really I'd rather experience that than slow service! I highly recommend the place, not the greatest decor, but I go to restaurant for food, and that was #1!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

When my girlfriend and I first moved to Halifax, we tried Curry Village because of a recommendation from my cousin. Although we have tried other Indian restaurants in Halifax, we think that Curry Village is the best and it is the only restaurant like it that we go to consistenly. For what it is it is very good and if we are in the mood for Indian food we think either Curry Village or that I will make it at home. The later option is becoming more and more rare lately as the novelty of me spending 4 hours in the kitchen has long worn off. I will admit that I do prefer the Indian food that I make myself but most of the time we just go to Curry Village and have never been dissapointed. We like Curry Village because the food is good, the service is good and the prices are good. For Indian food in Halifax I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

We liked onion bhaji and samosas for snacks.Nan and spicy curry and Biriyani...Simply Awesome. We visited couple of times and will go back again.