“Really great food!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I will admit that normally we get our curry fix from the Taj Mahal, but since it has been closed, we started visiting Curry Village and I'm glad we did! We usually get take out, but last night we decided to eat in. For the two of us we decided to share a Tandoori platter, an order of butter chicken, some shik kebab, and paleo rice.
The shik kebab appetizer was wonderful, although I have no idea what the little container of sauce that came with it was supposed to be. It was an odd neon orange/red color, very thin with no taste that we could descern. That didn't matter to us as the meat was wonderful. Next came the Tandoori platter with shrimp and two types of chicken...this was absolutely wonderful...perfectly spiced and tender. The veggie rice that came with this was very tasty. The butter chicken was, as always, fantastic, but even more so this time. Why, you may ask...because this time our server had asked how we would like it spiced! We had it medium, and it had just the right amount of 'kick' without being overwhelming.
All in all, a great meal and I'm very glad we chose to sit in for a change instead of doing take away...otherwise we never would have gotten to try our butter chicken with a kick!

Reviewed December 1, 2012

This place is truly a hidden gem in the quaint, charming, maritime city of Halifax. It is a bit hard to find, but once you find it, you'll be glad you did.

The service was excellent. The owner, Sunny, gave us a royal treatment. His hospitality, attentive and sincere, was unmatched and we felt like we were eating at home! Sunny gave us very appropriate suggestions for our family of three, and we weren't disappointed.

The food was extremely delicious. I ate lamb bhuna, which consisted of tender lamb pieces in a tomato and ginger gravy. I really liked how we asked for mild food and we received exactly that. The garlic naan was especially soft. It was evident that the kebabs were done by a chef who had lots of experience with a tandoor, because the meat almost melted in my mouth. I must also mention the complimentary onion pakoras that the owner brought to our table, because they were perfectly crunchy and had the right amount of spice and oil. I was rather delighted that the owner had ditched the cliched papad for the pakoras. Very creative, I must admit.

The prices aren't too bad. The food isn't very expensive, especially when you realize that the food you are devouring is fit for a king.

All in all, Curry Village is definitely the best Indian restaurant in Halifax. In fact, they should open another branch, because their food and service is unmatched by any other restaurant in town.

~Isha (age 14)

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Visited curry village for three or four times during the last year, ordered in a few times too. never got disappointed. They really know what they are saying, when they say hot, medium or mild. Lamb vindallo and the butter chicken is awesome. Nice and friendly stuff. Lacks a bit of decoration and doesn't have a good parking place.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have beed a reguler visitor to the Curry Village for last 15 years! I am very impressed with the quality of food, authentic taste with Bangladeshi and Indian flavor, served by a ever smiling and friendly staff most of the time by the owner himself.
They will go an extra mile to make my dining experience memorable and fulfilling.
I can not, honestly, think about any other restaurant serving quality food in a cosy and cordial environment better than Curry Village in Halifax.
Very highly recommended for anyone who would like a bangladeshi or Indian style food in Halifax.
Dhiman Chowdhury

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We have been ordering Curry Village for years and last night was the first time that I had been in the restaurant. It's not surprising that the food was even better coming out of the kitchen.

Other than the amazing Butter Chicken & Naan, we had the Lamb Vindallo as per the suggestion of the waiter. It out sizzling - this would not have worked for delivery. The service was really good, though the non english speaking waiter had little bit of hard time understanding our orders. There is not much choice of indian food around Halifax, I've been to many indian restaurants in toronto and curry village will be among my top five.

The management can think of decorating the place a bit more like an authentic indian place. BUt if you like indian food, you should definitely visit Curry Village.