“Best Chinese food in Halifax”
Review of Cheelin

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Halifax, Canada
“Best Chinese food in Halifax”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I have been going to Cheelin for years, and feel it has actually improved. There is a large selection on the menu from more North American style Chinese to authentic dishes I have never heard of. All dishes are made with fresh local ingredients, no msg hang over. This a destination for a great meal but the restaurant lacks ambiance.

• Visited February 2014

Canada
“Great Chinese Food: Great Value”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Had lunch here. Several set lunches to choose from. I love eggplant so I had that along with lots of veggies and rice, also a big homemade veggie spring roll. Very generous portion size, great taste and thus very good value at just under eleven dollars. I had a glass of red wine as well, as restaurant in brewery building next to hotel where I was staying (Marriott Courtyard) so I didn't have to drive. Friendly service. Big restaurant, nice decor.

• Visited November 2013
Halifax, Canada
“Absolutely the Best Chinese in Halifax”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is by far the best Chinese food in Halifax, and according to my foodie brother, also some of the best compared to top Chinese restaurants in New York and Toronto (where he has lived). The chef (Fanny) excels is in her use of fresh ingredients (much of it purchased on Saturday at the Seaport Market), seafood and by far the best vegetable dishes imaginable. This is a vegetarian’s paradise. If you are looking for typical “Canadian-Chinese” don’t bother coming here - this is not the place for chicken balls and red sauce. What you should know is that there are two menus, and, if you ask the very friendly wait staff, they will fill you in on the “Chinese menu” which is only written in Chinese. Be sure to try the “dry squid”. This is a dish with strips of very lightly battered squid, along with strips of green and red pepper and aromatic Szechwan pepper. So much better than heavily battered crispy squid. Also excellent are the dumplings (vegetarian ones), any of the egg plant dishes (especially Wu Xiang eggplant), the greens with black pepper and the tofu and fungus dish (again off the Chinese menu, so I don’t know the name). Sometimes it is best to just ask that Fanny pick whatever vegetable dish is the freshest, and await the surprise. Our family had been going there for years, and our children had their first restaurant experiences at this place, where they were always welcomed and treated. The only thing I have noticed in recent years is that the dishes aren’t always consistently top notch, meaning if Fanny isn’t cooking, there can be the occasional mishap. But it is so worth exploring the menu, that the occasional inconsistency should not put you off.

• Visited October 2013
Annapolis, Maryland
“I wanted to like this place”
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

The ginger beef and vegetables were above average. However, the restaurant offers to make many of their food gluten-free. One would assume that gluten free soy sauce would be used. One would be wrong. Ordering their fried rice which was supposed to include shrimp, chicken, beef, pork, and mushrooms in a wheat-free soy sauce. What arrived was a giant platter of white rice fried with no sauce, a small amount of chicken and random blobs of a couple shrimp. I mentioned to the wait staff that I'd essentially gotten the chicken fried rice. When the bill came, I was charged for the lesser chicken dish.

This restaurant isn't worth your time.

• Visited September 2013
“Entertaining Nice Meal”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Cheelin saved us one night after we struck out trying to get into 3 restaurants that night. It had a menu small enough to not intimidate you but large enough to offer great variety. Alot of seafood and eggplant dishes which I liked (too bad my family doesn't). Portions were large and the food was very good. It wasn't spectacular (versus my past personal dining experience) but I would definitely return to sample more of the menu. We had Chicken Moo Shoo, the "Saturday noodles" and S&S chicken (which was thinly battered pieces of real chicken, not those hideous industrial balls).
My favourite part of the night was our waitress. She was very friendly but she made some assumptions about us that I found amusing and made me chuckle (she was NOT being offensive). Since we are an Chinese/WASP couple with two young kids and I don't speak any Chinese she offered advice that I felt she sincerely meant to be helpful. They offered us cutlery rather than chopsticks and were surprised we preferred the medium size rice serving (the small one would have only fed me alone). Hey I'm Asian. I love rice! She also explained how to eat the Moo Shoo (the use of the wraps and the sauce & filling). The wraps were very large compared to what most places offer but like all Chinese restaurants you have to pay for extra ones. These details are included because I think they are funny and added to my enjoyment of the meal. Some might have been offended but this was not at all the intention of this young lady.

• Visited August 2013