“Entertaining Nice Meal”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Cheelin saved us one night after we struck out trying to get into 3 restaurants that night. It had a menu small enough to not intimidate you but large enough to offer great variety. Alot of seafood and eggplant dishes which I liked (too bad my family doesn't). Portions were large and the food was very good. It wasn't spectacular (versus my past personal dining experience) but I would definitely return to sample more of the menu. We had Chicken Moo Shoo, the "Saturday noodles" and S&S chicken (which was thinly battered pieces of real chicken, not those hideous industrial balls).
My favourite part of the night was our waitress. She was very friendly but she made some assumptions about us that I found amusing and made me chuckle (she was NOT being offensive). Since we are an Chinese/WASP couple with two young kids and I don't speak any Chinese she offered advice that I felt she sincerely meant to be helpful. They offered us cutlery rather than chopsticks and were surprised we preferred the medium size rice serving (the small one would have only fed me alone). Hey I'm Asian. I love rice! She also explained how to eat the Moo Shoo (the use of the wraps and the sauce & filling). The wraps were very large compared to what most places offer but like all Chinese restaurants you have to pay for extra ones. These details are included because I think they are funny and added to my enjoyment of the meal. Some might have been offended but this was not at all the intention of this young lady.

1  Thank Paul L

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Had a very enjoyable meal at this restaurant. Ordered the sweet and sour mango scallops which were very good. Very good sized portions. Waitress service was good and excellent value for money.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

my wife andhad a lovely meal of lemonchikenwith chicken fried rice and 1 each of spring roll and egg roll.

Mark Nichols Ottawa

Reviewed July 9, 2013

A friend of mine and myself went for lunch on the advice of a third person. We first found parking to be an issue, with lack there of. We were greeting and seated quickly, which is important when having lunch on a work day. The place is very clean and tidy and well lit.
We ordered from their lunch menu and had a couple extra appetizers. The food arrived in good time and the portions were very fair and hot. The dumplings and egg rolls were very good, but the ginger beef tasted like there was a perfume mixed in. An odd taste that prevented it from being any good. Still not sure what it was but it wasn't what I wanted.
All in all, a nice to place to eat but not sure if I want to eat from this place.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I hadn't had a decent chinese meal since leaving Europe 6 years ago, we came across this restaurant by chance, saw that other customers eating there were Chinese, which is a good sign. The food was fresh, flavourful and plenty of it! The service was excellent and friendly. The only let-down was the rice, as I like mine light and fluffy, and the rice was a bit stodgy. If you try anything try the steamed haddock with Ginger, it's a must! We will definitely be re-visiting!