“A really nice place with great fresh food”

Chives Canadian Bistro
Ranked #7 of 751 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Cross street: Blowers and Salter
Description: Casual upscale, farm to table, chef inspired dinning.
Reviewed August 27, 2014

We spent a nice dinner there.
The food was excellent! Really fresh and huge portions.
As appetizer we had a lobster chowder - delicious!!
As main plate, we had meat. So tender and full of taste.

Really nice place to have dinner!

Reviewed August 25, 2014

Warm and welcoming service, casual ambience and, above all, superb food. Dined at Chives last week and I can't stop raving about the delicious Newfoundland cod and an incredibly delicious vanilla bean and greek yogourt panna cotta with lemon curd, blueberries and a pistachio crumble. My fellow diners enjoyed mouth-wateringly tender braised lamb shoulder. Highly recommend Chives for beautifully prepared, local dishes at reasonable prices.

1  Thank HVVgirl
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Great choice of food and well presented. Book ahead as even on week day (though was peak season) they get booked up. First time we tried to eat here they were full but they sent us to their sister restaurant two doors down (yes it's called this) and had a good meal there to.

Reviewed August 22, 2014

This was truly one of the best meals ever. Seven adults of varying ages and tastes and each of us raved about the quality of the food and the service.
The restaurant is housed in a converted bank and has several interesting areas, including a vault, for seating. The menu is not extensive but covers a good variety of what is currently in season. Delicious charcuterie to start (I wish I didn't have to share) followed by a fresh,heirloom tomato salad with walnuts, homemade mozzarella and balsamic dressing....so good!
We had a variety of main courses. I've never seen such perfectly cooked an pur white halibut! A great big smoked pork chop and excellent braised lamb. My favorite dish was the lobster gnocchi. Every dish was worth the calories!!!
Dessert was a peach "tiramisu" and a blueberry panna cotta...yum.
The wine list isn't huge but has good selections. The prices were reasonable for the quality of the meal.
You should go!!!!

Reviewed August 19, 2014

My husband and I ate at Chives on a recent trip to Halifax, based on the excellent reviews on this site; we were not disappointed. The restaurant was bright and casual and the servers were helpful, accommodating, and attentive - and fun. Our appetizers and main courses (we both had fish) were great - absolutely no complaints. But the biscuits - oh the biscuits - I decided I could have made a whole meal of them and had to resist doing so; they were warm and fluffy and so tasty and rich. Then we had to order dessert after we saw it delivered to a table near us: a chocolate truffle concoction that must have been pure chocolate and tasted as good as it looked; only wish I had that recipe so I could make it at home since it was exceptional!