“Great food, great service”

Chives Canadian Bistro
Ranked #7 of 737 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Cross street: Blowers and Salter
Description: Casual upscale, farm to table, chef inspired dinning.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Great food, great service”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

My husband and I ate at Chives on a recent trip to Halifax, based on the excellent reviews on this site; we were not disappointed. The restaurant was bright and casual and the servers were helpful, accommodating, and attentive - and fun. Our appetizers and main courses (we both had fish) were great - absolutely no complaints. But the biscuits - oh the biscuits - I decided I could have made a whole meal of them and had to resist doing so; they were warm and fluffy and so tasty and rich. Then we had to order dessert after we saw it delivered to a table near us: a chocolate truffle concoction that must have been pure chocolate and tasted as good as it looked; only wish I had that recipe so I could make it at home since it was exceptional!

• Visited July 2014

Oak Park, Illinois
“A fine first meal in Halifax. ”
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

Very helpful and professional staff. The food was fresh and nicely prepared. Overall, this place justified it's rating as one of the top two or three restaurants in Halifax.

Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent Food, Amazing Atmosphere and Great Service”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Chives is a fabulous restaurant with delicious, local and fresh food. Our server was fantastic and provided great wine pairings to go with our meals. I had the Chef's special (seared halibut) and my partner had the lamb. Both were superb. We went on a Monday evening and it was packed so I would definitely recommend making a reservation.

One of the greatest meals I've ever had and very reasonably priced given the quality and service. Absolutely recommend and totally loved it.

• Visited July 2014
Toronto
“A lovely meal in a casual room”
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Chives is upstairs on Barrington st. It is worth climbing those stairs for the excellent meal that awaits. The plates were well turned out, but not precious. Haut cuisine, but presented in a genuine unpretentious way.

The room is pleasant with a casual clientele. Our visit had some tourists in shorts and tshirts, some young couples done up for a fancy night, and the odd suit.

Excellent menu, simple wine list, and an all round excellent meal.

Visited August 2014
Halifax, NS
“The best dinner experience in Halifax !”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Can not say enough about this place, we took fourteen family members out to celebrate birthdays on Sunday and picked Chives. Let me tell you we are a true foodie family and a little loud mainly because of all the laughter. They put us up in a cove which was just perfect lots of room and great lightening. Steve was our waiter and I still can't figure out how he kept us all straight, he was so pleasant and never rushed anything. The food was above and beyond, just simply fantastic, there was nothing that came out that someone was not saying you have too try this. It was just so special too sit down and have everyone say that we have too come back. Do not miss this place they go above and beyond with their food, so fresh and vibrant it was just perfect. It is a little pricey but oh so worth it.

• Visited August 2014