“Yummy restaurant, minor hiccups.”

Chives Canadian Bistro
Ranked #6 of 742 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Cross street: Blowers and Salter
Description: Casual upscale, farm to table, chef inspired dinning.
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We were quite excited to dine at Chives, as it had come highly recommended by a few friends of mine who had gone to school in Halifax.

As we walked in, we noted that the ambiance was quite nice and staff was very friendly. It wasn't very busy yet, although we do know that it can get busy as a reservation was recommended.

I opted for two appetizers: Lobster Gnudi "a la king" and Alantic Seafood Chowder. Both were amazing! Both were ample portions, and together created a great meal. The gnudi was perfectly made, and served with a huge amount of lobster and sweet peas in a delicious sauce, in a nice dish. The chowder was unreal. It was both very satisfying, yet light at the same time. It also had a large amount of seafood in it. Both were unreal.

My mom had the special of the day, which was the halibut with some sort of lemon vinaigrette and seasonal vegetables. The only reason I don't give this restaurant a full five stars, is because the lemon vinaigrette really overpowered the dish. When she took her first bite she literally recoiled. I didn't believe her until I took a bite as well. We mentioned it to the server, who was very nice about it, but also stated that it was supposed to be this way. I honestly think someone just really didn't properly taste the vinaigrette before plating up the dish--I wouldn't be surprised if they had complaints about it that night.

We also had a sampling of the cheddar biscuits which were delicious (served in a cute, paper bag), and I had the pumpking bread pudding (which was unreal!).

All in all, this restaurant was a great pick. Despite the minor hiccup with the halibut, you can tell that the chef has a great flair for combining flavours, and that the ingredients are fresh and delicious.

Although it is a bit on the pricier side, we felt the prices were justified for the quality of food and the amount of seafood we received with each meal!

2  Thank Sandie K
There are newer reviews for Chives Canadian Bistro

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Nothing bad can be said about Chives. We went on a Tuesday night and it was packed. Everything from the seafood chowder to the lamb was perfect. The buttermilk biscuit they give us was to die for. I would go back there just for the biscuit. The service is also very friendly and the waiters are good at pairing wine with every single dish. It was simply amazing.

1  Thank Camille_the_foodie
Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

Halifax has a lot of dining options and we are happy to have chosen Chives among all the options available. The food was made out of fresh ingredients and extremely tasteful. My husband took the chowder which did not disappoint and was full of delicious seafood. I had the snow crab spring roll which were a little small but full of flavor. For entrees, the lamb was to die for. Maybe the best lamb we've had in north america and the cod was perfectly cooked, slightly breaded and served on a bed of quinoa salad. The service was top notch and our waiter kept filling our water glasses which is always a plus when it comes to attention to details. The biscuits are also worth the detour, served with molasses in a brown paper bag. Overall, highly recommended and one of the best dinner we've had out in a long time, reasonably priced too.

1  Thank MissYGlobeTrotter
Reviewed June 18, 2014

After a very rainy and chilly June day, we had a comforting meal at Chives. The hot seafood chowder was full of seafood and very flavorful. My husband had a tender lamb shoulder dish and I had duck breast with risotto. The lamb was especially delicious. Service was attentive. If we travel to Halifax again, we will return.

1  Thank 613Traveler613
Reviewed June 9, 2014

From beginning to end this place is a standout. The service was great, the specials thoughtful, the plating tempting, and the flavours exquisite. The menu features a local blend of land and sea options. The seasonal veg is a standout and custom blended to match the protein and sauces, speaking of sauces. Wow - lick the plate great. The wine list is limited and a bit pricey, but the options are generally of high quality. Take a risk on a Nova Scotia white if you are enjoying seafood, these wines have improved greatly over the last decade.

1  Thank bluesonwhyte