“Delicious!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bicycle Thief

The Bicycle Thief
Ranked #6 of 710 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Italian, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Ottawa, Canada
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We had the pleasure of eating in this restaurant while we visited Halifax at the end of July. We loved everything about this place. It's located right on the Halifax Harbour. The food is expensive but worth every penny. The wine selection was perfect too and so was the service. I would definitely eat here again and recommend this restaurant to work colleagues, family and friends. Make sure to reserve a seat ahead if time otherwise you may be in for a long wait. Thank you for reading my post.

• Visited July 2014

Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic, buzzy and delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Set right on the waterfront you could be a little suspicious that this eatery, like many others who have prime waterfront locations, would be ordinary. However, this bustling restaurant is anything but that. Full of well dressed (read as cool and funky) regulars and tourists, this restaurant is top notch on all levels. A substantial menu full of locally found/created produce, extensive wine list and a bar staff that knows how to make classic cocktails, you will leave The Bicycle Thief well and truly happy. Wait staff is slick but very friendly. We would love one of these right here in Toronto!

Visited August 2014
Halifax, Canada
“Awesome meal and service but very loud!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Here's a place I frequent often with friends as the food and service is fabulous. I would not recommend for a quiet romantic dinner. It is very busy and loud.

• Visited August 2014
Halifax, Canada
“Good food, but not the setting for a quiet evening out.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

I preferred the food at the last incarnation of this location. They have added capacity but this means that the venue gets crowded and very noisy. We went for our anniversary. We booked a window table which was not available when we arrived. We were given a table near the bar and it was very noisy. This location seems to be geared toward a younger crowd. I'd not recommend it for family dining or for a romantic dinner. It is a fun place to go with a group of friends for drinks and some OK food.

• Visited September 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

During a recent visit home to Nova Scotia we decided to try the Bicycle Thief. There were 5 in our party. Three originally from Halifax and two who were experiencing Halifax for the first time. We had never been to the Bicycle Thief before but had heard good things so we decided to leave the kids with the parents and enjoy an adult meal. As with other reviews I will break this up so you can read what matters to you.

Atmosphere – I really liked this restaurant. It was comfortable and not overdone. We all liked the plates. Strange thing to comment on I know but the side plates had their logo on them and the dinner plates had the restaurant name on them. It was just kind of a different touch.

Service - We visited on a Wednesday night and I was glad we made reservations as it was busy. We were greeted and seated promptly and our waiter was over in a reasonable amount of time to greet us. He took drink orders and seemed quite knowledgeable about the various wines and beers on the menu. My husband and friend asked the waiter to surprise them and were pleased with the beer choice. What really impressed us was at one point our friend ordered a beer he didn’t care for. When the waiter came around he commented that he should have let the waiter continue to make his beer choices. Within minutes a new beer was brought to the table and the old one removed. This was not requested by our friend and we were just overall extremely impressed with this level of service. I wish I could remember his name because all through the meal he was great. There just the right amount of time.

Food – The menu is not large but it had a lot of choices and most of us were torn between 2 or 3 dishes that sounded delicious. My husband and I decided to share a calamari appetizer and it was very good. Also ordered were the muscles and potato and leek soup which our dining partners said was very good as well. For entrees our table ordered the lamb, the steak and lobster, the haddock, steak and I had the salmon. Everyone said their meals were delicious. I can say the salmon I had was perfectly done and just melted in your mouth. Being from the East Coast and now living in Ontario it has been a while since I had salmon that good.

I would recommend the Bicycle Thief. Not sure I would take my kids there as they are still quite young but for an older family or a couple or dinner with friends, definitely check this place out when you are in Halifax.

• Visited July 2014