“Unremarkable” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bicycle Thief

The Bicycle Thief
Ranked #6 of 710 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Italian, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
“Unremarkable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Last night was the second time I have taken and out of town guest to The Bicycle Thief and was disappointed. The decision to go there has been based on my guest getting the recommendation, usually from their hotel or other word of mouth... so, we go.... The location and the atmosphere is great. But our service and food, sadly, unremarkable :( So much potential, lost.

My friend and I each had starter and entrees. My crab cake (singular) was mushy but tasted fine, not exceptional. And my risotto, over cooked and while not unpleasant, lacked favor, definition and depth. I am not a fabulous cook and even I know risotto is easy!... Butter, some strong cheese, salt and you're done! So, that it was poorly done was unfortunate.

I really want to like the Bicycle Thief. But will be reluctant to to take out of town guest there if I want them to have a good food experience.... maybe I'll just make sure I talk up the view and lower any food expectations :(

.... Sorry Bicycle Thief :(

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

New Minas
“How many positive adjectives are there?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

EXCELLENT!!, EXCELLENT!!, EXCELLENT!!

The food is incredible, the staff are amazing, the atmosphere is spectacular, and the location with view are second to none. My wife and I stumbled upon The Bicycle Thief on a whim and were thoroughly surprised. Their portions were great with more than fair pricing for the quality and experience.

• Visited January 2013
“Birthday night out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a gift certificate to use up so decided to go to the Bicycle Thief.
I am pretty sure the restaurant is always busy, but this was a Saturday night 7pm reservation.
The restaurant is very full, with tables close together, so it is rather loud.not the place for a romantic or intimate dinner.
The service was great. First courses were good calamari, and the seared scallops.
We decided to share a second course, the gnocchi it was superb !
Our mains were , rack of lamb , and the sliced beef tenderloin. The lamb was very good the beef
Was cooked perfectly but I found the rub/seasoning was a bit salty for my taste.
Desserts were also excellent, the caramel cake, and the carrot cake.
I didn't find the food overpriced for the class of restaurant and comparing it to other cities.
But just realize it is not an intimate place to go.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“A favourite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is my favourite restaurant. The food is delicious and the staff is very attentive. The ambiance is lovely and the view on the patio in the summer is great! Love it!

• Visited March 2013
Cape breton
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had heard so much about this place! We were so disappointed. The room was so loud and noisy that the background music sounded like radio with static. The portions ranged from small to tiny. The carpaccio was over_dressed. My pappardelle was barely edible. My husband's lamb was good but the artfully arranged plate looked like a baby meal. My son was disappointed in the rabbit. I will say the butterscotch cake was superb and the service attentive. The experience was overpriced. We would not go back

• Visited April 2013