“Great staff.”

Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great staff.”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Very impressed by the hard working staff, restaurant manager Kayla was super pleasant and helpful with the wedding dinner planning ! The breakfasts were great and every staff member we dealt with we're friendly and helpful.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
ontario
Reviewed July 8, 2012

we found this hotel very clean and centrally located without having to be downtown. Our room was very clean and all the features were in great shape. The free breakfast was a real one with many choices from bacon and eggs to cereal to pastry. You can eat inside or on a large covered deck overlooking chocolate lake. You are minutes from everything with expressways and back roads handy. Ocean beaches and peggys cove are near.

Room Tip: look for parking early since the lot fills up because the hotel us usually full
uae
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel and choose this as it was close to the family we were visiting ....

The room was lovely and clean however was our room on the 5th floor was above the air con units which were very disturbing during the night so unfortunately we couldn't sleep with our windows open which was a real shame.

The breakfast for us was a real let down - maybe its because we never got there until 0930 and they close at 1000 even so there should still be hot food but all the trays were empty and were never refilled so we had to make do with toast. The coffee pot was left empty and there were no cups.

However for somewhere to stay was perfect just the two points above made it alittle disappointing for us.

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for two nights and found it to be an outstanding place. Close to Downtown Halifax, large comfortable King room and amenities. Indoor swimming pool and gym and you can actually swim in the lake outside! The staff was very helpful and the buffet breakfast was plentiful and good. We couldn't find anything wrong with the place, and would have given it a 5 rating but didn't eat at the restaurant, other than the breakfast.

Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We travel a lot and do not usually stay at Best Western Hotels. This was a great stay! Our room was wonderful, separate bedroom from the sitting room, great view of the lake, super close to all the things we wanted to do in Halifax. Front desk was really friendly and helpful. There is a Grill on the same property that has good food. The free breakfast for the hotel stay is served in the Grill too. It's not as good as the other food we ate there, but the scrambled eggs were fresh and yummy each morning. They alternate ham and sausage each day and both tasted like fake food so after 2 days you learned to get some eggs, make a piece of toast and call it good. No worries with that.

Room Tip: This hotel is pretty much completely remodeled/we had a suite that overlooked the lake - it was wond...
1 Thank Bobbie010
San Clemente, California
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I had high expectations for this hotel because it was my main goal destination when I left California (for you see, when you travel abroad into Canada and you bring a dog with you - they like to know you have a destination - so I had to put my trust into the reviews and the reply remarks of management to hope that where I decided to land almost 2 weeks after leaving California would be worth it).

Getting to the hotel was a bit of a whirlwind. People fly around the twisting turns (it's supposed to be a somewhat residential neighborhood, but apparently people in Halifax are in an awful hurry to get from point A to point B).

The parking lot was kind of small, but thankfully I got there a little earlier than the official check-in time and so many of the spaces were open. Later in the evening, though, boy, did those spots fill-up quick (and that was on a Monday night (let me say, though, Tuesday night was almost not a problem at all)).

Although I came in earlier, I was still checked in and my room was ready. That was a treat - especially in comparison to the front desk clerk who at check-in and a couple of times over my few days of staying there -- seemed to have more important things to do than deal with people. She was the only one that seemed to find everything but her guests important -- the other 3 individuals working the desk were extremely helpful.

As I was staying with my doggy, he received a little amenity package. He got a couple of poop bags and a nifty poop bag holder shaped like a bone with the Best Western logo on it (it's come in handy many times since we've departed the hotel).

The room was nice. It was conveniently situated right next to the back door. There appeared to be more motel-like rooms on the 1st floor, but somehow I scored a room that was actually in the hotel (though not in the tower). We had a somewhat decent view of the lake (though part of it was viewing the deck of the restaurant).

The weirdest part, though, was this strange first aid tape holding the drapes. I actually left a note to the cleaning crew the next morning asking why it was there. I didn't know if they had done it to keep the drapes open or, after it had been removed and I slept the next night, if it was to help keep the drapes closed (as the light leaked in from the sides without it). The housekeepers removed most of it, but forgot a couple of pieces that I had to remove later that day. It just made me a little concerned about what other details the housekeepers had missed that I didn't see. However, for the most part, the room was clean and comfortable.

The floor near the room was a little wonky because it was next to the electrical room. I was a little freaked out about that initially, but I don't think I suffered any ill-effects. Probably on the contrary -- I could be somewhat loud without worrying I was bothering a neighbor (at least on one side ;) Still, however, the floor was weird because of the slants and I, unfortunately, had a bad knee when I stayed there and I almost jammed it a couple of times on the slope.

Breakfast was run relatively smoothly. You had to be waited to be seated (although one morning an impatient mother jumped from table to table asking guests if a table was open as the poor woman who was trying to seat everyone was also having to help clear tables). There were a few glitches when things would run out (both mornings I ate there the yogurt would run out in 15 minutes. The second morning the chef came out with a new batch). But, "free" breakfast at a large hotel will have their glitches. I enjoyed my food, though.

You could access the Chocolate Lake if you were brave enough to scurry down the steep incline and rocks. Across the way you could see what may have been a public beach. The only individual I saw diving into the water from the hotels access point was a dog carefully crawling into the water to get the ball his owner threw out for him. I did see someone swimming, though, but from where, I don't know. They had a swim cap and full wetsuit, so I imagine the water was cold. In any case, it was beautiful to sit at the benches to eat dinner I had picked up at a delicious fish-and-chips place.

Although when I checked in the dog, Coco, was no where to be found, later in the evening and for the rest of my stay she could be found laying about here and there. They also started to waft in a silly smell of chocolate. I found that very amusing, but I wasn't about to go chewing on furniture a la Willy Wonka.

It was nice to walk the tidbit around the lake and all the dog owners seemed very pleasant. The only problem is to walk further than the hotel grounds is only for those who have a strong nervous system. Walking further left me anxious and irritable because all those drivers seemed to be hell-bent on getting somewhere.

However, there's a Subway next to a mini-mart (no alcohol sold there, though). And less then a 5 minute walk a way was a decent Pizza place called EuroPizza (although, I found nothing Euro about it). It was good, though.

Also, as far as getting to downtown Halifax, it was about a 10 minute drive or so, but it was worth it.

Would I come back? Yes, definitely.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank bozobarr
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We recently stayed here for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The reception desk staff and house dog Cocoa (a Chocolate Lab) are very friendly. Our room was great with updated linens and a window that opened to let in the fresh air. We ate in the dining room and found the food very good - I had a pecan crusted salmon filet with salad that was wonderful. My husband had the strip loin which was ok.

Our only complaint is that the binding on the towels has shrunk miserably, distorting the towels. Also, breakfast is included - it's fine for a free breakfast. Cereal, eggs, toast, muffins, biscuits, yogurt...

We will definitely stay here again - the hotel is in a lovely setting on Chocolate Lake and centrally located to travel to various surrounding areas.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Best Western Plus Chocolate Lake Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay-and rest assured-we are packing up all of those defective towels and shipping them back to the manufacturer. During your next visit, you will be happy to see fluffy and straight towels hanging in your bathroom.