All reviewsshared bathroomhome away from hometwin bedssmall balconyspent three nightsjoanstoriescereal
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Marigold B&B is in a great location and Joan was a great introduction to our Canadian adventure. She welcomed us warmly & let us watch the wimbledon tennis final with Andy Murray narrowly losing to Federer. That aside our stay was a lovely 4 nights. The local area is quaint and Quinpool road nearby provides lots of places for meals.
Breakfasts were brilliant. We needed this relaxing start and Joan really helped as well as being a good source of local info- buses , places to go .
Oh and try & get to the local cinema with its art Deco style - its great

Room Tip: Shared bathroom may be a disincentive but no problem for us. Ours had its own balcony
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I had the pleasure of spending the night at Marigold Bed & Breakfast and was immediately impressed. While I had planned to go out and explore Halifax as soon as I got in, I was instead welcomed into the home where I sat with Joan and several of her very interesting friends chatting for several hours. I felt like an old friend rather than a guest coming in to spend the night; it was very comfortable without a hint of pretentiousness. The house itself seemed to me like a large artist's studio and had a very "lived in" feel about it that made it seem all the more homey.
When I told Joan of my plans, she made me an early breakfast that was reminiscent of those I had when I was in Ireland. While it didn't include fried tomatoes or pudding, there was a nice bowl of fruit followed by an incredibly fluffy omelette (she's not stingy with the eggs!) and four slices of bacon.
I will admit that at first I was bothered because there was no TV in the room, but I wouldn't have had time to watch it because I was just too busy either sightseeing or chatting with Joan and her friends.
Stay here, you'll love it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Canuckker
Reviewed February 22, 2012

We stayed three nights and the B&B and really enjoyed our experience. The neighbouhood Joan lives in was in a great location and she had a lot of good local stories to tell. We felt comfortable immediatly and will surely return there when we come back to Halifax.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Veronique B
Reviewed November 24, 2011

when i was hesitatiing about the verandah joan saved the day this was the best place i have gone to especially in a new place i have never been too she takes care of you is a very good cook nice conversations you will have laughs do yourselfs a favour and make reservations here :) you will not be dissapointed

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 21, 2011

This B&B has an informal feel that worked just fine for me. Arrived in time for late afternoon tea and then headed out to Jane's on the Common, a highly recommended restaurant a ten-minute walk away. The room was small, the furniture filling the space but the deck off the room gave me the sense of space I needed. As chance would have it, I didn't get to take much advantage of the deck off the bedroom as the rain began just as I returned from dinner and continued the entire next day. I did get to hang in a really good coffee shop/bookshop that was a relaxed morning walk from the B&B. The Trident Booksellers and Cafe was recommended by the B&B host. The generous breakfast provided at the B&B kept me full till past lunch hour. I came back to the B&B to dry out before heading to dinner. I had another lovely tea with guests and relatives and then got a lift to the Old Triangle, which is an easy bus ride in inclement weather.

It's a relaxing and friendly place, a little cluttered but clean and very well located on a lovely tree-lined street.

Room Tip: see if you can get the room with the deck...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo