All reviewsshared bathroomhome away from hometwin bedssmall balconyspent three nightsjoanstoriescereal
Reviewed September 21, 2011

This B&B has an informal feel that worked just fine for me. Arrived in time for late afternoon tea and then headed out to Jane's on the Common, a highly recommended restaurant a ten-minute walk away. The room was small, the furniture filling the space but the deck off the room gave me the sense of space I needed. As chance would have it, I didn't get to take much advantage of the deck off the bedroom as the rain began just as I returned from dinner and continued the entire next day. I did get to hang in a really good coffee shop/bookshop that was a relaxed morning walk from the B&B. The Trident Booksellers and Cafe was recommended by the B&B host. The generous breakfast provided at the B&B kept me full till past lunch hour. I came back to the B&B to dry out before heading to dinner. I had another lovely tea with guests and relatives and then got a lift to the Old Triangle, which is an easy bus ride in inclement weather.

It's a relaxing and friendly place, a little cluttered but clean and very well located on a lovely tree-lined street.

Room Tip: see if you can get the room with the deck...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 10, 2011

I stayed one night at Marigold B&B. Joan, the host, is very friendly and hospitable. I stayed in the room at the front of the house, and it was quiet (no street noise whatsoever). The room was clean and well-decorated. The bed had lots of warm blankets for the cold weather. The shared washroom was clean and comfortable.

Breakfast was prompt and consisted of a generous serving of toast and rich, delicious scrambled eggs. There were no major problems with my stay. The only issue is that the wireless internet connection is stronger on the first level, though it was sufficient (albeit slower) in my room.

The B&B is a short 2-3 minute walk from the nearest bus stop (which takes passengers straight downtown). I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2010

From the minute I arrived at the Marigold B&B I felt at home, Joan is the perfect person to have a B&B as she genuinely enjoys having people to stay.
I felt so much at home, the house was very warm and comfortable and the breakfasts were just great, really good homecooked food.
I strongly recommend this B&B for anyone who likes to stay in a real home where there are no pretensions, just genuinely nice, kind and friendly people.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 24, 2010

We stayed here in September for two nights and couldn't have wished for a better welcome to Nova Scotia. Joan welcomed us like old friends, gave us lots of tips for the area, made the best breakfast imaginable and even though I only contacted her for an extra bed the night before, even that could be done. When we arrived, we were welcomed into the home with a cup of tea and talked with Joan and her brother Michael for quite some time until we really felt at home. If you're looking for a true home on your trip, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank Annikuscha
Reviewed August 23, 2010

This is for someone who wishes they had a close friend to stay with, who welcomed their coming. Very small, intimate, and personal. Location is great and Joan was just wonderful. She offered a lot of excellent free travel advice when asked. Breakfast was almost to order. The flaxseed pancakes were the best I have had. Joan is an artist and has many artist friends in and around Halifax and Day trip distance. I would go back in a heartbeat. Great spot for jumping off across Nova Scotia and the price, with a full breakfast, was low in spite of the season.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo