“Great hotel”

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
New Brunswick, Canada
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed here for one night, At the end of August. The hotel is in a great area on Salter St., right next door to the Alexander Keith's Brewery and basically waterfront. We stayed during the world juniors volleyball championships which were takin place across the street. The hotel was as such a bit busy and outside was loud. But it quieted down by 6 pm.

The rooms are well appointed, our king bed room facing the water was room 621. The hotel is VERY clean. There is a full tub in the bath, Mitchell toiletries, a bar fridge and coffee maker at the entry, a large chest for your clothes, and the room has a seating area with a couch. The room has an awesome view of the waterfront.

The staff at check in we're very friendly (and plentiful, there were 5 ladies at the front desk waiting to serve). The hotel is in a great location for sightseeing, the guided harbor hopper tour bus leaves literally from a minute away, Keith's brewery is right next door, Pier 21 is a minute away (don't miss Saturday morning's farmers market) and the casino is a 5 minute stroll away.
Two of Halifax's best restaurants are part of the same building (Cut and da Maurizio). No need to cab to dinner!

Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We planned a family vacation to the east coast this summer and had the privilege to stay in Halifax for 2 nights. I found the courtyard Marriott online and booked from there. Upon arrival , we were greeted very kindly and got to meet the staff I had been dealing with over the phone. That alone was a blessing. We Got to our room and it was just perfect! It was what we needed and the staff made sure we had everything we needed traveling with children. Throughout the stay , if there was anything at all we were looking for or what not , we could count on the staff at courtyard Marriott to go above and beyond to help us. We will most definitely return to this hotel when we go back to halifax. Thank you courtyard Marriott for making this a memorable trip!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I recently spent 2 nights here before traveling around NS with my small hiking group. I have stayed at Courtyards all over the US, which, along with its high TA rating, is why I chose this hotel.

My flight was delayed and I arrived very late. Check in itself was efficient but when I got to my room it was not the type I had a guaranteed reservation for. I called down and they said they had the rooms of the type I reserved "blocked" for some reason that I never understood. After much (and very unnecessary, IMO) conversation they agreed to switch me to the type I had a guaranteed reservation for.

After I got in my new room it was around 10:30 and I was very hungry so I stopped by the front desk to ask where I might be able to get something light such as soup or salad. They sent me to someplace that, after walking there, turned out to be a bakery that only served baked goods and no soup or salad.

The front desk staff was very nice but these experiences left me wondering if I was in the twilight zone.

The room I ended up in, a king bed with sofa, was typical Courtyard, very nice and well equipped. A description, photos and list of amenities can be found on the hotels web site so I won't repeat them all here.

The building itself is L-shaped and my room was near the junction and facing the courtyard so it should have been one of the quieter rooms. But I was shocked awake from a sound sleep at 2:30am by what sounded like a fight in the next room. There was a loud crash against our common wall, followed by several more along with loud voices.

I called the front desk and after a while it quieted down and stayed quiet for the rest of the night. The next day I moved yet again to a room father down the hall as the loud guests were staying that night as well.

While this hotel by itself is a solid 4 (very good) rating, I feel very differently about the location than most reviewers. I was here over a Friday and Saturday night and it appeared to me that Halifax gets a lot of young Nova Scotians staying here on weekends in order to go to the nearby bars - in other words, drunk tourism.

The area adjacent to the hotel is very rowdy and loud, with drunk punksters yelling and screaming in the streets, and even in the hotel hallways. During the day on Saturday, I saw 3 young males on their way to the elevator after checking in. In addition to their overnight bag, each was carrying a 12 pack, which says it all. I guess the locals don't get off the farm much and when they do they really party down.

Had I known I would have stayed at the Westin where the rest of my group stayed as it is farther away from the concentration of bars that are within a few blocks of Courtyard. All of that said, my room was otherwise very comfortable and it was much quieter the second night.

The hotel provides free non-secure wifi and the signal was strong in my room. They also have several wired computers in the lobby for guest use but they were actually slower than my wifi connection.

This Courtyard has a casual restaurant (Courtyard Cafe - breakfast and dinner) and bar (Double Eagle Lounge - dinner) in the lobby, but there is no free breakfast for guests. They also have a 2-story restaurant adjacent to the hotel called Cut with what they call a "stylish urban grill" on lower level and a "fine dining steakhouse" on upper level.

I had breakfast in the Cafe both mornings. The first morning I ordered the bagel with smoked salmon, a menu item. When it came it was served with fried diced potatoes. Fired potatoes with a salmon bagel - really? I just had cold cereal the next morning and went well.

My room did have a mini fridge but I don't know if they all do or not. The guest rooms do have a coffee maker with coffee and tea supplies, and there is also free brewed coffee for guests in the lobby. Ironically, if you order coffee in the Cafe you pay C$2.50 for it, even though the free coffee pot is only a few feet away.

Except for the drunks on the weekend, this really is a nice Courtyard. Perhaps as a business hotel during the week the area might have a very different personality. If the area had been quieter I would have rated it a 4 overall, but I dinged it by 1 based on my experiences.

Room Tip: Do not get a street side room if you want quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank AustinWhitewater
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

We booked last minute into this hotel on August 6th and were pleasantly surprised; front staff were courteous, the location was perfect for sightseeing and our room was very comfortable. Requests for additional towels and a minor bar fridge concern were addressed within minutes. We will definitely return to the Courtyard on our next visit to Halifax.

Room Tip: Higher floors have an excellent view of the harbour!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

We spent 2 nights at the hotel during our tour of Nova Scotia..The rooms are quite comfy and roomy..The room had a frig which is an added plus! The staff are dedicated to making sure each guest has an awesome experience..Since we drove from Ct to Nova Scotia we utilized the valet parking..The cost was $19.95/day which I found reasonable..Another added plus is the proximity to many great attractions, like the Maritime Museum which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel..Both evenings we had fabulous meals and there are many great restaraunts located minutes from the hotel..The only reason I could not rate the hotel 5 stars was the hotel is not "Pet-Friendly" I usually travel with my dogs and I can only hope that the next time I come to Halifax, the Courtayard will have changed its policy!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor, the view is breathtaking!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Moncton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

The hotel is understaffed and poorly trained. We had to wait on several occasions for everything from to getting our car from valet parking (35 minutes) to housekeeping responding to a request (90 minutes) and getting concierge service is sometimes impossible as there is no concierge except for the front desk, which is often staffed by one person with limited knowledge of Halifax.

One specific incident illustrates my case. During my stay I forgot some credit cards that the hotel staff promptly said they would send back to me via courier the next day. This was all my important credit cards, including my driver’s license and health cards. I was relieved to know that they were safe and would be returned within a day or two.

After fours days and no courier package I contacted the hotel. Nobody knew about the package and no one could give me a tracking number for the shipment. Surprisingly,  there was no Hotel or Housekeeping Manager or Duty Manager on duty. There was, in fact, on one in a managerial position despite the fact that this was the end of July, one of the busiest times for the service industry in Halifax.

The front desk person who I first spoke with and who said that she would send my package was also not working on this day. The person at the front desk did confirm that my package was sent but didn’t actually know this first hand nor could she give me the name of the courier, nor the pick-up date.

I decided to wait. After two more days and some restless sleeps I decided that I had to do something, given all my identity cards were missing. I called the Hotel again and again was told that there was no management available. In fact it was the long weekend and no one in authority was available for 2 more days.

I then called the other Marriott in Halifax and spoke to their assistant manager who put me in touch with the american based customer service department for Marriott. They, in turn, contacted the Courtyard Marriott and this resulted in the discovery that my cards were still in the hotel safe.

I drove the 5 hour return trip to pick up my belongings the next day. It has been nearly two weeks since this incident and I am yet to hear any apology from this hotel, let alone some compensation for the unnecessary anxiety and stress.

Overall, the hotel has a nice downtown location but takes for granted that this will be enough to be a success.

Room Tip: For a special treat ask for a hotel room on a high floor with a waterfront view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank travelhoundIndia
Dave P, Manager at Courtyard Halifax Downtown, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Hello Mr. Travelhoundindia, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback here on Tripadvisor. It is only through valued insight such as yours that we are able to improve on the product and services we offer to our guests.

I am shocked and embarrassed on how this all played out and I completely understand your frustrations. I would not feel much different had it of happened to myself. Your wallet was found and stored nicely away in a safe. We had it ready for delivery then we had a rare communication breakdown...100% our fault. This truly is not the level of service we are known for or capable of providing. Without a doubt we completely dropped the ball in this situation. This experience is being used as an example to staff on service and expectations of delivery (pardon the pun).

Again Mr. Travelhoundindia we are truly sorry for this experience. It was nice to personally chat to you about this and hope we can come to a resolution on this matter soon. We do value you as a client and I hope this does not hinder you from choosing Marriott as your home away from home when you travel.

Dave Power
Director of Guest Service/AGM
Courtyard by Marriott Halifax Downtown.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

This hotel is located on the waterfront in the centre of Halifax. The rooms are large,quiet and well appointed except for the rather older model TV. There is an indoor pool,an exercise room and even a laundry room. There is also a great outside deck on the 8th floor which overlooks the waterfront. Just bring a bottle of wine. The hotel provides complimentary coffee in the lobby as well as newspapers. Wi fi is also free. The front desk staff (particularly Stephanie) are extremely helpful. The restaurant is quite good.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the 8th floor. That is where the deck is.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple