“Great hotel, great location!”

Courtyard Halifax Downtown
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Overall, this is probably your best bet in Halifax. Its central location right by the water, between the Maritime Museum and Farmers Market, walking distance to most attractions, modern, clean and classy.

I am not a picky traveller, however I did spend several days at the Courtyard, which gave me time to make more thorough observations, so if you're interested, here are my likes and minor dislikes;

Likes:
1) Location, as stated above
2) The view, although its a partial harbour view for most rooms, you probably need to request higher floor as there are only 8 floors, not a high building so if you want to see the water, the higher the better!
3)The roof terrace, a nice little bonus for hotel guests to take in some sun while overlooking the harbour
4) The staff, very friendly
5) The rooms are nice, spacious and have everything you need. Having a mini-fridge is great!
6) The Cut steakhouse Restaurant- I should make a separate review just on that one, but I had an absolute delicious meal, and true "steakhouse" experience!

Dislikes:
1) The room towels and bed linen; they are "cheap" material, towels are rough on the skin, doesn't "absorb"... the bed comforter is super thin, they should invest in nice duvets... the pillow cases are almost see-through, really not the best quality. I actually needed an extra blanket every night, as I was freezing and the thermostat didn't seem to work. Might seem like a minor detail but it goes a long way, especially when you stay there for many days like I did.
2) The mini-fridge is very noisy. I don't know if it was just mine, but it kept waking me up at night (making a loud compressor noise).
3) The VERY early and noisy garbage pick-up every second day, the truck beeps and picks up large metal containers which bangs really loudly outside the windows, woke me up every time! Quite upsetting!
4) Although the room maintenance was well done and for the most part was done in the morning, the room was not clean up to standards, the bed's headboard had greasy hand marks all over it and the windows were dirty.

Just a side note; Its great to have smoke-free hotels! I am a none-smoker myself and appreciate the clean air. its just unfortunate that the Marriott didn't reinforce the rules during my stay. My neighbours were heavy smokers, I could smell them in the hallway and into my room, our "bay windows" are such that when you're looking outside, you can actually see into each other's windows (a bit odd actually...) and there were water glasses with cigaret butts in them as well as cigarette packs set right there on their window sill. Sure, if I would have brought it to the hotel's attention, they might of done something, but who wants to make a complaint about people staying besides you and feel comfortable crossing them in the hallway afterwards?! Its a shame people don't respect other people's property and environment.

Anyway, all in all: a good hotel pick in Halifax!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kapou

Reviewed March 25, 2012

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and always committed to helping me make the most of my stay. The rooms were immaculate and well equipped, far exceeding my expectations. The location is perfect. The staff puts the hotel over the top. My stay there could not have been better.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Rjkono
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I have stayed here many times and have always been treated well. The rooms are better than the full service Marriott and the service is better.

Beds are great, rooms are clean and the nicely decorated.

Ideally located and close to everything. An excellent value with free wireless internet.

Room Tip: Any room is good.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Robert M
Reviewed March 23, 2012

This is a nice hotel, close to lot of places and in good shape, the only but I have is that the internet connection wasn't good enough but the room was very nice

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2012

This hotel is on the harbour waterfront and has exceptional value and service. I would stay here again, however it needs to be mentioned that the beds are hard, pillows small, and the comforter is pathetic. I am very well traveled, and for North American standards I felt that the bed/pillows/comforter were significantly sub par.

However, due to the location, staff, and value, I would be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LDevious
Reviewed March 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a few nights during our stay in Halifax. We stayed here for the location as it was close to the train station and the harbour. We walked from the train station and had a little bit of difficulty finding the hotel as the front entrance could not be seen clearly from the road.

Our room was spacious, clean, and comfortable and made for comfortable sleep. We had breakfast downstairs and it was good.

The location is really great. It's close to the harbour and a nice walk, if you are a gambler, the casino is also at the end of the walk. It's close to restaurants, shops, and the museum. If I was to stay in Halifax again and didn't have a car, I would definitely considering staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank LovingSunandSand
Reviewed March 15, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel on many occasions in the past, although we have tried some others in the area but find they just don't measure up.
My wife, kids and myself were booked in for a couple of nights this March break and were blown away when we asked if there was a bigger room to accomodate my two girls' sleeping preferences and were upgraded to a King Suite on the top floor with a view of the harbour for no extra charge.
The staff went out of their way at every turn to make sure all of our needs were met and exceeded at every turn.
This is truly a world class hotel with a staff to match, thank you so much Pam for making our stay so very comfortable.
We will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor have immediate access to the roof top Zen garden and Spirit Spa, the eighth...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family