“I'd go back there in a minute!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Verandah B&B

The Verandah B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Halifax
The Verandah B&B
Ranked #16 of 22 Halifax B&B and Inns
Winnipeg, Canada
“I'd go back there in a minute!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

Where do I start?

Well, if you're looking for posh, spotless, and downright expensive, don't go to The Verandah.

If you're looking for a sarcastic Easterner with a sharp tongue, and an "I don't really give a crap what you think" attitude, a decent room in a quirky and creaky old home AND YOU WILL LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT, then stay at The Verandah.

So, let's be clear. I booked this place for me and my husband, and my 87 yr. old veteran Dad in May 2012 before heading off to Cornwallis for a Naval Reunion. I read Trip Advisor, and to be honest, I was really quite worried about what I'd find when I got there.

Joan communicated effectively and efficiently (is that what people mean when they say she was abrupt or short with them? puleez), and held our rooms until we got there at almost midnight - no problem. She had a helper who carried our luggage up, and had a pot of tea ready for us to have in her living room while we all chatted and watched some tv.

My Dad got the pink room, which was good because he had the small bathroom and yes it is very tiny, but it's right in the room and my Dad had NO issues with using the space (for gawds sake people - what do you want? the Taj Mahal!?) The blue room was in use by another older lady, so Joan put us up in the loft (um, cuz we're younger and can do the stairs!) and for the same cost. Yes, the bathroom needs a new shower stall as it was mouldy - big woop. I wasn't planning on living there and franklly, the space felt to me like a nice cozy cottage at the lake. So? There was dust and cobwebs here and there, and who cares, really? I only needed to sleep there!

Breakfasts were great, and she said 830 for brekkie. If you're late that's your tough. Eat it cold, or you know where the microwave is. Like - make yourself at home, that's the way Joan is.

My Dad and her had some terrific conversations, and she was never at a loss for words. I especially liked her sarcastic Maritime humor as did the rest of us. But make no mistake, Joan has a heart and she was very kind to my Dad, even took a lot of his B.S. talkin' too!

Anyway, it took me forever to write this. And I'm glad I did, because you have only one life people. If you don't want to enjoy your life, go with the flow, experience someone and something interesting, different, unique and fun, then go stay at 4 Seasons. You get out of things what you put in to them...

Thanks for a great stay Joan. If we get back to Halifax again - we'll be giving you a call!

Chris and Larry, and Al

Room Tip: The pink room has an attached bath. The blue doesn't, but there's one right outside the roo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ChrisandLarry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

The location of the Verandah B&B was fantastic for my needs - it is located just around the corner from the Rebecca Cohn and I was in Halifax for a performance there. I wandered into the Verandah and was lost for a few moments as I was standing alone in the entry way and before being greeted by Joan (I assume Joan anyway as she never did introduce herself). Joan was relatively friendly and offered/told me she was putting me in the basement apartment. She walked me to the apartment and as I looked around all I could think was that this place needed some TLC. Upon leaving Joan told me breakfast would be served at 8:30AM and I said that I would be gone (checked out) before then to which she told me she could only offer me coffee if I could not wait till 8:30AM to eat.
Upon the completion of the performance my wife and I returned to the room and took a closer look around the room and at this point I realized how dirty and unkept the room actually was/is. The window sills looked as if they had never been wiped - the bathroom appeared to have water damage and the fridge had left over food in it.

Room Tip: Avoid the apartment in the basement!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Darcy C
La Crescenta, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

We planned on staying at this B/B for 2 nights but we decided to leave 1 hour after we checked in - we had paid a one night deposit via Pay Pal so we lost the money but it was well worth not having to put up with Joan the owner. I had called her that morning to advise her that we would be arriving around 7:00pm....We arrived around 6:45pm and the first words out of her mouth were "You are too early!" We wanted to turn around and leave this chaos - she was hosting a family dinner which obviously was more important than her paying guests. Joan should retire from hosting a bed and breakfast - she has no people skills what so ever - she throws temper tantrums and makes the guest feel like it is your fault she doesn't understand you! Three different times she told us that she would like to eat her dinner! We had a tour to make at 8:45am the next morning and she insisted that breakfast would be served at 8:30am....she told me to "eat and run" so we could make the tour. She never showed us around the home, never took us up to our room or showed us the bathroom, never told us there was on premise parking for our car....indeed, she never told us anything about the place! She was more interested in her family dinner than in her guests. If she didn't have guests, she would not be able to keep this place going and the way she handles herself, I am surprised she is still in business! This house is in run down section of Halifax and is about 1/2 hour walk from the water front. On the door to the bedroom she has a sign "Bed and Breakfast" You do Both! DO NOT BOOK THIS PLACE - YOU WILL BE SORRY! We guarantee it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Diane B
Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

We chose The Verandah because of it's proximity to our activities but arrived to a most unpleasant welcome. Joan met us at the door and without even opening it told us how exhausted she was; we should have come earlier someone else had our room;and claimed we hadn't paid. We did get another room and she discovered we had paid but her rudeness continued when we tried to negotiate a breakfast time. She told us to go away and come back later! Her house was great and so was the Loft-but we did not feel welcome to stay another night. She should not be running a B&B-not as the host.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank LjgOntario
Waterloo, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

i had to cancel a reservation because a family member passed a way and she had no sympanthy shes out for money money money doesnt give a $%##@ about anything else wouldnt reccomend it unless your rude

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
14 Thank Aaron J
Sudbury, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

Like many others who went to The Verandah, we expected to enjoy our two night stay in Halifax. The B & B sounded central and pleasant, but the reality was not. The host was total chaos, although in a way interesting. We would never return to this bed and breakfast because the service was not at an acceptable standard (the guests were handed soap bars in the foyer and told that there was no hot water because the host had no oil and they would not deliver unless she paid cash). She was quite rude and unpleasant in a chaotic sort of way and probably is okay some days, but certainly is not the kind of host that you either expect or desire in a setting as intimate as a bed and breakfast.
Her place is one of only three that we have visited in the last thirteen years that we would definitely not return to or recommend.
Now we are reading reviews first. A lesson learned.

Room Tip: Don't go there at all.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
13 Thank mary jane n
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

We had planned to stay in Halifax for a week this past August. We booked in January and put our 50% deposit down on the Blue Room and the Pink Room. We wound up changing our plans and cancelled our reservations 8 days before our originally scheduled arrival (well within the 48 hours required). I cancelled our reservations by e-mail and voice mail on our cell phone, both of which were acknowledged. That was on August 8, 2011.

After involving Nova Scotia Tourism, the Nova Scotia Bed & Breakfast Association and the Better Business Bureau we finally received our refunds today - October 31, 2011. It has been the most arduous process to get Joan to conduct herself in a professional manner and I am convinced that we would still be waiting for replies had I not involved the above-noted.

Please be cautious when booking.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends