The Verandah B&B
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Halifax
See available hotels
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
Atlantica Hotel Halifax(Halifax)
  • Room Service
  • Free Internet
Waverley Inn(Halifax)
  • Pool
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I had to be in Halifax for 2½ weeks during major surgery for my son. I am thankful that I stayed with Joan at the Verandah. She was very kind and compassionate regarding my situation and went out of her way to help. Her B & B became my home away from home during this very stressful time.

Breakfasts were wonderful, and my room was very comfortable and clean. The location couldn't be better for the hospitals, Dalhousie University or downtown and the harbor. I highly recommend it.

Expect all of the quirkiness and charm of a century-old house. Ensuites weren't built back then, but Joan has managed to create one by combining 2 closets attached to the pink room. Space is cleverly used, but be aware, it is small. If you need a larger one, the bathroom outside of the blue room is spacious, charming and clean, but it is not an ensuite.

Room Tip: Ask for Pink Room if you want an ensuite, just be aware the bathroom is tiny
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank CanadaMapleSyrup
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed in the top floor "loft". The room needed a good cleaning. The toilet did not flush, and the shower did not drain properly. We had an extra person with us for one night - there was a substantial extra fee for the use of a sofa bed, and we had to make up the bed ourselves. The owner spoke a lot about how expensive everything is. Breakfast was good, pretty basic. We found this B & B very expensive and not a pleasant or relaxing experience.
The location is excellent for Dalhousie, or for the harbour in general.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank David W
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We were in Halifax for a few days and chose this B&B for it's proximity to family. The room was adequate in size, though very warm with little ventilation and too much light, all resulting in a rather uncomfortable and abbreviated sleep. The owner is quite unpleasant and we were disappointed with our stay. This B&B is not recommended for those with children.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank LittleCanoe
Reviewed July 13, 2011

You have to stay here!! My husband and I found by chance this little slice of heaven in the big city , we were making last minute reservations when a woman at the Lord Nelson reffered us to this Bed and Breakfast. The owner was sweet beyond words, we have never received such amazing hospitality!! She even offered to pick us up! The rooms were gorgeous!!Complete 5 star without the price, the sleep was amazing as well as the food!!We ended up over sleeping and she made breakfast for us anyway and enjoyed an amazing chat!! There were others there who had taken advantage of her kindness, and when I saw the previous reviews I couldn't believe it!!! She is a sweetheart and we will always remember this place!! Recommend it to everyone!!Our friends from Ontario also enjoyed it too!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are gorgeous!!!
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Despite a great location we were subjected to a bait & switch similar to what we now read in other reviews. We called ahead and reached Joan on her cell and she promised us the Blue Room. when we arrived she didn't remember who I was or speaking with me, she had been at a party when we called and said someone was already in the Blue room. But....she had the loft, which was en suite and turned out to be $30 more. Fortunately we were there for just one night and will be the only night we will ever stay at the Verandah.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business