“Pleasant, but not compelling”

The Halifax Alehouse
Ranked #163 of 715 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Pleasant, but not compelling”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is a pub of long standing, and perhaps it needs to sit down and reassess itself. The decor is dark and faintly unwelcoming, though the staff are cheery and helpful. And the pub is completely not welcoming to anyone with a disability; it does not meet (voluntary) accessibility standards.

The menu is unremarkable, but the Alehouse Burger I ordered was tasty. The accompanying fries were abundant, but dark and greasy, as if fried in old oil.

One at our table noted that the Alehouse used to offer a much wider selection of imported beers. The current selection is fine, but does not match some of the competing pubs nearby. I had a Guiness, as it was on special, and it was properly poured and presented.

In summary, I enjoyed the time with my friends, but would not rush back to this unprepossessing pub. (And it did not help that women's wrestling was being broadcast on a big screen TV -- in a pub?)

• Visited August 2013

St. John's, Canada
“Very poor attitude”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The staff here were downright rude. As we were waiting to enter we shared a laugh about a story a friend had published on facebook that day. A very insecure doorman glared at us and said "What are you laughing at!" we told him and he replied, "You better not be laughing at me!" We paid the ridiculous cover charge and entered. We soon found out the rest of the staff were just as friendly as the man at the door. We couldn't get out fast enough.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank J E O
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Great”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The servers were pretty cool, we even got free shots from the bartender when we went. We had only heard good things about this place before my friends and I went, seeing as we are from Ottawa. The live music was awesome and the vibe definitely picked up as the night went on (this was a tuesday). I'd go there again for sure if I'm ever back in Halifax. The only thing I am unsure of is how my bar bill got as high as it did...

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Liza C
Chester, Canada
“Best chicken wings in metro”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I go there once every 2 weeks for the 10 wings and a picture of draft for $12.99. I am 60 and this is a favourite treat. Go early and get a 1 picture buzz and 10 of the best wings in metro and then home to nap. The special starts at 4pm Monday, Wednesday and Saturday but get there early because the place gets very noisy as the younger crowd gets there to take advantage of this deal. I have tried the Thursday special which is the same accept nachos instead of wings. The nachos are lacking but hopefully will improve.

• Visited April 2013
Halifax, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“bad night!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

i went there with 5 friends! all of us are professionals and well respected. The band was playing on April 12th was excellent. We had few drinks and danced - the music was great i told my friend I am going to buy beer for the brand members and I did. I bought them 5 bottle of beer - they were so happy. The next i notice that the security was throwing me out. Man the worst security i've ever seen. all my friends were upset and we left to the lower deck.

• Visited April 2013