“Homecoming”

Ranked #5 of 22 Halifax B&B and Inns
Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
“Homecoming”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Having stayed at Brent and Wanda's wonderful home in 2009, it was always on the cards that we would return. Great hosts, lovely comfortable rooms, beautifully furnished and awesome breakfasts! Perfect location for airport and downtown Halifax. Sorry other B&B's in Halifax, but as long and Brent and Wanda have a B&B, we won't be visiting you! We love Peaches the cat and we loved our conversations with Brent over breakfast!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed November 3, 2011

My partner and I absolutely LOVE this B and B. We have stayed here 2 times while on business in the area. We stayed in the nautical room during the first visit which was a nice size and had a view of the garden. You have a bathroom across the hall.

The second time we stayed in the private Garden suite. Absolutely stunning!! So worth the extra money. I soaked in the beautiful claw foot tub every night. Very elegant room. The cute kitty was so sweet. Breakfast was superb. Georgeous 2 acre property. Enchanting forest in the back. Nice owners. You will not be disappointed. #1 B and B in halifax without a doubt!! Look no further :)

Looking forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: Pick the garden suite for sure. Amazing view of the garden and stunning bathroom.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Waterloo
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Wonderful comfortable accommodation, gourmet breakfasts, beautiful location and surroundings. We will make this our home when in Halifax again and hopefully that might be soon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2011

A good place to stay at the start of our tour of Nova Scotia, an easy drive from the airport and easy to get into town. We stayed in the Cottage Suite a spacious and comfortable room with large en suite. The breakfasts were tasty and wholesome, served by the 'cook' who was also a friendly & welcoming inn-keeper.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2011

This was the first time we had ever stayed in a B & B. It was a lovely experience because our Hosts (Brent & Wanda) made it very enjoyable. They have a beautiful home and it is set in a lovely area. Beautiful trees and gardens. We stayed two nights in the Garden Room, the bed was very comfortable and the room was tastefully decorated. Brent cooked us two gourmet breakfasts, which was served in a lovely dining room. We were met each morning by Peaches the Cat, she is lovely and friendly. Brent was very informative with regards to getting around Halifax and where to eat. You definetly need a car but getting into the city is very easy. We found that Halifax has major traffic problems at rush hour so be aware. Thanks again Brent and Wanda for making our first experience in a B & B so enjoyable.

Room Tip: The rooms all look out to gardens. It is a quiet area.
auckland
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed at Blue Forest Lane B&B for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The B&B is of a highest standard in all respects. Brent and Wanda made us feel welcome. The home is set in a lovely peaceful garden, very quiet and relaxing. The rooms are spacious and well appointed, beds very comfortable. Breakfasts delicious. Very interesting conversations. We have no hesitation in recommending this B&B.

Belfast
Reviewed August 24, 2011

In November 2010, we booked to stay here 2 nights [2&3 July] at the start and 2 nights at the end [14 & 15 July] of our trip through the Maritimes. When we arrived after our transatlantic flight to Halifax, the house was empty - there was no one there to receive us. I contacted the owner Brent by cell phone and he and his wife were in Peggy's Cove - he said he thought we were arriving on 3rd July, blaming problems with his computer. He also told me how lucky we were that he happened to have his cell with him as he doesn't usually carry it!! We sat in our car as waiting outside was impossible because of the local mosquitoes.
When he turned up about 30 minutes later, he said that to compensate us, he would upgrade our room from a room with separate bathroom to a larger room with en-suite. It was a large and comfortable room although the curtain between the bedroom and bathroom was a poor arrangement particularly when someone is using the toilet. Also, some things were not in full working order - see below.
As this delay in getting into the B&B meant it was getting quite late, and we had had a 21 hour day and were exhausted, we hadnt the energy to go out for a meal so we asked for some tea and toast. Brent happily agreed and insisted we have some of his wife's excellent strawberry shortcake but somehow it never materialised! Still, the tea and toast was welcome.
The next evening I was feeling unwell - I blame it on a burger at Toronto airport - and was very sick until 4am so next morning I just had some tea; my wife had breakfast. On both mornings, as Brent presented the breakfast, he said "this is really good - you'll like this". This amused us as we thought it was a matter for the guest to judge whether the food served was good!!
He also 'talked up' the ginger jam and said a previous guest couldn't stop eating it because it was so good. I asked was it home made but he proudly told me no, it is from England and its what the Queen eats and then showed me the jar!!
It was Robertson's - a very common and unexceptional jam manufacturer in the UK whose label features a 'Royal Warrant'. It certainly isn't a jam I would boast about to my guests!
When we returned nearly two weeks later, Brent announced that he had upgraded us for the first night. As we were tired after a long day's travel we just accepted it and trudged off to bed. It occurred to us next day that an upgrade is supposed to be a bonus for the guest but we had the bother of packing up to move rooms for night #2. Furthermore, we found out the room we should have been in was occupied by a guest at the end of a three day stay so he had obviously upgraded us to suit himself and the other guest, not us.
Going back to the upgrade room gave us a chance to see how the owners had dealt with a few 'faults we had pointed out almost two weeks earlier. The bulb in the ceiling light had not been replaced. There were two sinks in the en suite - one had no plug and the other had a plug but drained very slowly. Brent certainly fixed the draining issue - he removed the plug! So when I wanted to wash and shave next morning, there were two sinks neither of which had a plug to retain the water! I didn't bother saying anything as we were due to move rooms that evening and I was becoming weary. And the cobwebs were still there.
Breakfast each morning was well presented - and talked up by Brent!! - but far from filling. For example, juice, a small dish of fruit, an omelette with a 1/4 slice of grilled ham and 1 small piece of toast. One morning I asked for more toast and got it along with the comment that I was quite slim for someone with my appetite. I was tempted to say that if I continued to have small breakfasts, I would be even slimmer.
Breakfast on the final day was a first for us - scrambled egg on garlic toast which Brent told us "this is really good". Maybe I have led a sheltered life but i have never had garlic toast for breakfast - and I don't think i ever want it again for breakfast.
And, they had 'run out' of green tea. My wife had been having green tea at the three previous breakfasts so what kind of mismanagement allows one to 'run out' of something a guest is having daily??
As we were leaving, I asked if our deposit had been taken into account when Brent had processed our credit card payment - he assured me it had but if there was any problem I should let him know immediately I get home and he would sort it out - his computer was still 'down'.
I decided to check my online banking and found that the charge he had processed had not been reduced by the deposit as he had indicated. I pointed this out and he immediately said he would process a card refund. I said I would be happy to take the $60 in cash but he said he didn't have $60 cash. This seemed strange for someone running a business.
The other thing i noticed from my bank account was that the charge for the first 2 nights was processed on 1st July [the day before we were due to arrive] and the charge for our stays on 14th and 15th July was processed on 5th July. Brent certainly doesn't seem to have any computer problems when it comes to charging, only when it comes to dates of arrival and refunds.
In summary, this is a large, comfortable house [with a big hairy cat] and the food is well presented but not up to the standard we got in most other B&Bs on our trip. It's a good 20 minute drive into Halifax which is fine if you want peace and quiet but not particularly handy for downtown attractions or restaurants - though it is not too far from the airport. This has been the longest and most difficult review I have written re our trip. There were good and bad points about this B&B but the one thing that makes a B&B is the person running it. Brent is a friendly guy who was very helpful with tips about the area etc but needs to drop some of the BS and produce the goods. He can talk up his breakfasts forever but they were way behind many of the breakfasts we got elsewhere in both quality and quantity. He also needs to stop talking nonsense to his guests. On the last day, he told us several times that we were getting a great deal as we were getting CAD$1.55 to £1 whereas US guests were only getting CAD$1 for the US$1. Go study the principles of exchange rates, man.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank toberwino
HalifaxNSCrossbow, Owner at Blue Forest Lane Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Sometimes there are reasons for why things happen and I'm not one to make excuses but things will go wrong once and a while, unfortunately this time it was with the wrong person. That said we tried our best to compensate but it just wasn't enough. We upgraded the couple for 3 nights and I have nothing to gain by upgrading guests only the appreciation our guests give us. The couple in question who were in their room on arrival, asked if they could stay an extra night, I could have moved them but I knew the couple from Belfast where returning that evening and I preferred to give them the better room. "Obviously this was a mistake". Also we gave them what we give most of our guests or what we consider to be a great breakfast, as most of our guest do appreciate and are very pleased with, we even gave them a snack the first evening they arrived and that was criticized. One thing we do repeat and often, "we say to our guests, if there is anything we can do to make your stay more comfortable or if there are any concerns please let us know as we are always willing to please and help. I think this guy got out of the wrong side of the bed.
The comments made above from the guest from Belfast are unfortunate. After being in the B&B business for seven years we often hear from some of our guest that upon arrival at their Bed and Breakfast destination, that a lot of the owners will greet their guest, show them to their room, give them a key and say "good night and see you at breakfast" Breakfast is served and that is it. Basically ignored by the operator. If I has just done that and not been so friendly and talkative with this couple I probably wouldn't have incremented myself, I guess some people would be preferred to be left alone. I get a sense from the comments made that they must of thought I was bragging or something. I think the gentlemen above needs to either know how to take a joke or get a sense of humour. And as far as the currency is concerned it was meant as a complement. seeing that the Euro is worth more than the dollar. Granted there are always little things that need attention and we do our best to address this, but to be constantly looking for every little flaw and then criticizing the operators character is a bit much. Please remember that a Bed and Breakfast is all about people and relationships. I would suggest that this guest get a hotel or motel on his next trip anywhere.
To close there was a previous guest from Boston at Peggy's Cove who had a flat tire and she called us for help. The problem was we could not get the tire off and this delayed us from getting back on time. I'm now glad I didn't tell him what happened because I don't think he would have believed anything I said or appreciate any extra efforts we made.