“Good place to see a band, don't go for the food”

The Carlton Music Bar & Grill
Ranked #189 of 742 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I've eaten here several times when good bands were playing at the Carlton and while it is a great place to listen to live music the food is at best average. They seem to try to be too fancy and should perhaps stick to more average pub fare if they can't pull off more complicated dishes. Next time I'll eat before I go there for the music.

1  Thank RaseBanun
There are newer reviews for The Carlton Music Bar & Grill

Reviewed May 23, 2013

It is hard to know what to focus on first. As a stand alone restaurant, it is as good as it gets. Add to that beautiful surroundings in a historic building and amazing music, and you have a "destination", not just a restaurant. I was there last week for two shows plus food and wine. This was my first visit to Halifax. Everything hit the mark, including the staff/service. I have recommended it to countless friends this past week after returning to Ontario.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I recently went to The Carleton with friends for dinner and a show. It is one of the few true listening venues in Halifax and the staff are great at ensuring others around you keep quiet once the music starts. The sound in the restaurant is fantastic and as an audience member you really feel a connection with the musicians.

The nice thing about The Carleton is they have a range of menu items, so you will find something to fit into your budget - mains range from ~$8.75 to ~$31.50. My three friends had the grilled cheese sandwich with frites and I had the cancun chicken wrap - all of us enjoyed our selections. The wine list is quite limited, but the wines we did select were good quality.

Tip: If you are going to see a show, make your dinner reservation nice and early to get the best seats!

1  Thank PKDancer
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Our friends turn to pick the restaurant - four of us all had great meals, two steak dinners, one fish and caesar and one curry scallops, all very happy. Wine was great. Very busy!

2  Thank Mandria C
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The Carleton is a part of the Music Bar & Grill. You will not get better service and also situated on the corner of the entertainment district in Halifax. During the summer, sitting outside there are many sites to observe and enjoy.