“Best in Halifax”

Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
“Best in Halifax”
Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

This modest place with counter service actually provides the best Mexican food in the city. We had beef enchiladas at our most recent visit. The pulled beef filling was flavourful with just the right amount of spice. There were two very large tortillas, topped with melted cheese and salsa. The meat dish was accompanied by a choice of extras - we had green salsa, guacamole and beans. My wife is from California and has some experience with Mexican food. She declared this excellent. Neither of us could finish the very large portions.
This was fine quality food at a very low price. The place may lack charm but the food more than compensates for that.

Visited May 2013

Nova Scotia
“Very good food”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Good location close to the Public Gardens and Downtown Halifax. Eat in or take out. Eating in is casual (nothing fancy). The food is great and the prices are reasonable. Try the burrito! It is a meal on it’s own.

• Visited April 2013
Dartmouth, Canada
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I ate at Cantina Mexicana last month and were glad we used a Groupon because we would have been quite upset had we had to pay full price for a very mediocre meal. We chose this particular day based on the tantalizing Facebook picture and description of the daily special: chili rellenos. The picture showed five large plump stuffed peppers of different colours, whereas what hubby actually got was one tiny shrivelled specimen that in no way resembled what was advertised. Nevertheless, he said it was quite tasty. I went for the burrito, which although it tasted good, was ruined because it was just lukewarm.

Other reviewers have mentioned the huge portion size. Huge? No. Large? No. Adequate? Barely. Maybe it was because of the Groupon, but in terms of value for money, this was one big let-down.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank cornish24
Christopher C, Owner at Cantina Mexicana, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hello. I am sorry you were disappointed, and it is so out of tune with other reviews we have had on Trip Advisor, Yelp, Urban Spoon, Facebook & twitter, as well as critic reviews the Cantina received.

As I understand it you were let down on the portion size, the fact that you did not get 5 stuffed peppers and that the burrito was lukewarm. I must point out that the photo is a picture of the peppers after they come out of the oven and is a group photo, not meant to represent the portion size you would get. The peppers do enhance in flavour with more time, which may lead to them becoming smaller. I am glad your husband thought they tasted good. The food is made in front of you as you order, and so it is viewable before you take it, and if it had not been large enough you could have had said so at the time and we would gladly have substituted something else.

We do not reduce the portion size for groupon purchases, in fact mot of the time we do not know it is a groupon until the customer pays. And most people find the portions overwhelmingly large. So I am not sure what happened in your case.

Our burritos and tacos are meant to be eaten by hand, not with a knife and fork, and so they are not covered in a sauce, put in a microwave, or super heated in steam so they can be held in your hands when eaten. The burriots are wrapped after the fillings are put in. The meat, beans and rice is warm and the salsas etc are cold. We then grill the burrito to heat it from the outside in. We have had a very small number of complaints on this issue and we are trying to find a way to address it. The overall customer concensus has been that it is just about correct as we are doing it now.

The full price of your dinner would have been 18.25 for the two meals, less than $10 each not including the reduction for Groupon, which brought it down to under $5 each. I am unsure what your expectations are for a $10 meal in terms of portion size or table service etc.We are very proud of the service and food quality we provide. Our food is cooked fresh daily, we have no freezers, no microwaves, and no deep fryers to help us keep to our mission of tasty food served fresh, with no radiation to make it super hot.

Once again I am sorry for your experience. I am glad you both found the food tasted good, and I understand that the other factors ruined your experience. I will discuss this with the staff at the Cantina with a view to finding a solution to the problem you have identified
Halifax, Canada
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Went there with my husband (from colombia) and friends from mexico. we had an amazing time food was HUGE and so tasty. we will be back and am so happy the deliver. Staff was friendly and helpful.

My number one mexican place in Nova Scotia

• Visited January 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“Great lunch spot!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Stopped in after hearing about it. Had a beef burrito and man was it good. No deep fryers, no freezers all fresh and all delicious! Tucked in a little corner by the gardens on South Park Street. Try it!