“Food was lukewarm + "we don't use microwave ovens" = dilemma”
Review of Cantina Mexicana - CLOSED

Cantina Mexicana
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Food was lukewarm + "we don't use microwave ovens" = dilemma”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I had high hopes - all fast, fresh, spicy and freshly prepared. But all 4 dishes on my combo plate were lukewarm. Thing is, they don't use microwave ovens, so if I wanted it hot, it would have to go in the oven, and I did not have time. The waitress forgot to give me my soup first (& I forgot to ask for it first), but it too was barely lukewarm. Ughhhh!
The waitress was very apologetic about both the meal & the soup & the order they came in, and even offered me a free meal (next time, not this). I declined - I would not return, even if it was free.
All the food came from (I think they're called) steamer bowls - I could even see the wisps of steam (but there were no lids).

I will not return because the restaurant's philosophy, though it looks good on paper, is not end-user-friendly - if you're going to proudly say you don't use microwaves, for heaven's sake, make sure the food is HOT.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank britt77

Veenendaal, The Netherlands
“lovely steaks”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

we eat here with 6 adults and 2 children (8 and 2.5 year old) in the evening around 6 pm. Big place, very busy but in spite of this all very good service en nice personel.
Everything was possible such as an half meal for the youngest one. Meat was really very, very good

Visited August 2012
“Very yummy!”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This is a very casual, counter-service restaurant with friendly staff and delicious food. The menu is not huge, but everything I've tried was very tasty and inexpensive. The taco plate has three tacos with your choice of fillings (chicken, pork, beef, veggie or seafood; the meat is seasoned and pulled not ground) and toppings (lettuce, cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro, salsa, rice, beans, etc.) for $8.26. Three of us had dinner and soft drinks for less than $40, including a plate of chips and guacamole to share. Awesome!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank JustMeinNS
Halifax, Canada
“a rare find... fresh and authentic”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The title says it all... in a virtual food wasteland that is Halifax it is nice to stumble into authentic mexican fare. The Taco's and Burrito's are so fresh and flavourful. This is a great place to stop in and load up some taco's. You choose your fillings and enjoy. There are some negatives: there is no parking dedicated to the restaurant (find a meter and hike there.... foot traffic is their mainstay), there is no real comfortable or sensical seating in the place, there is not much ambiance, it is counter service only and the price are reasonable but not great.

In short, if you are walking in the area and Mexican is on your mind this is a great spot to pick up some food and enjoy in the park.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Shrekman1969
Halifax, Canada
“How can Mexican food be bland??! Only at Cantina Mexicana.”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The owner (who is not Mexican) suggested we try the 3 taco platter so we could sample different fillings. So three of us tried three different combinations each and all of us were totally disappointed. The meat and fish fillings were apparently "seasoned" and there were 4 different intensity salsas, of which NONE had any flavour. It didn't help that the meats were only lukewarm as were the corn tortillas (which promptly split in half). The couple at the table next to us also gave the place a "Meh." There are numerous Mexican spots around town that will continue to get my business and referrals. This is definitely not one of them.

• Visited August 2012