“so happy to have found this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Little Europe Bistro - CLOSED

Little Europe Bistro
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Canadian, Eastern European
Dining options: Waitstaff
Dining options: Waitstaff
Halifax, Canada
“so happy to have found this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Last week my husband and I got the idea to go to the Hydrostone Market for the evening, we had plans to eat and take a walk and figured we would pick a restaurant for dinner when we arrived. We stopped in several places to look at their menu's in the early evening and were struck by the friendliness of two restaurants which happened to be side by side, Salvatore's and Little Europe. Salvatore's looked good, and we had heard some great things about their pizza but they weren't licensed and the dining room was quite cramped so we chose Little Europe. When we had stopped in earlier my husband had noticed the kitchen was actually a part of the dining room and he thought maybe they would put on a little show or something. There were a few other people dining and I was surprised when we ended up being seated in a semi private area over looking the street. (The restaurant is pretty small and these seats are definitely the best ones.)

There was only one waitress and, from what I could see, one chef. I have never seen anything like this place anywhere in Halifax and if there is anywhere else I would like to know where it is. The waitress was kind, attentive and actually made both my husband and I genuinely laugh. We even watched her run down the street after an older couple who had forgotten a scarf.

Our food was amazing. The ravioli is handmade and changes daily, Chef Ramsey would be proud. When I asked what sauces I could have on it other than the spicy rose sauce it would usually come in the waitress listed some options and asked what sauce I had in mind, apparently the chef's in this little gem are very accommodating and will make any sauce you want if they can! I asked for an alfredo sauce, which wasn't even on their menu, and she said it would be no problem. My husband had their rotisserie chicken and I was pretty surprised to find out that there was no charge for white meat. The waitress told us the fries weren't to be missed so he chose them as a side. My pasta came with a small cucumber butterfly sitting atop it. The food was amazing, just like she had said it would be. As we left it was nice to get the chance to tell the chef so ourselves. He nodded and smiled extra wide when I mentioned the cucumber butterfly.

All in all this little place made me feel special, they made a meal just for me and the staff seemed to genuinely enjoy talking with us. I highly recommend going to this restaurant, maybe I will see you there!

• Visited June 2013

Bedford
“Inconsistent and having a hard time keeping a chef”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

I am a return customer that adores the handmade ravioli. I have been told on 3 occasions they are sold out at lunch! I had been asking before accepting a table at this shabby bistro, of the availability . On my last visit I was assured by Garwin their new chef this would not happen. Alas they lost Garwin to the Delta and again it occurred. The one waiter told us we would be comped and this did not occur. This Hamachi owned restaurant needs to concentrate on keeping their limited menu available and consistent. A thorough cleaning would be in order too.

• Visited June 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
“A little bit of Europe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Love this place. The staff is so friendly and helpful. Homemade pasta not to be missed. Such great value and ambience. Definitely give it a try.

• Visited May 2013
Nova Scotia
“Strange experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were in Halifax recently, and decided to eat in the Hydrostone area. Our favorite, Epicurious Morsels, was full so we wandered around to see what else was there. At first we thought Little Europe was closed because the windows were dark. and the place did not seem at all inviting. However, a sign said it was open, so we went in. No one else was there but the staff of two. We sat in the main room for a minute, but then asked if we could sit in the window. We thought we could at least lure more people in and see the street scene. The waitress said the manager did not like it brightly lit in order to give it some ambiance, but she put the lights on low.

It was a cold evening and the waitress only turned the heat on after we had been there some time. When we commented that every time the door to the place next door opened, the entry door, just a curtain away from us, opened, too, and let in a draft. Her comment was it always does this and then she locked the door because she said they were now closed. This was well before the posted closing time.

Now the good part to all this is that our meal was very good. I cannot remember exactly what we had but there was an interesting Mediterranean style appetizer and a very good home made pasta. There was a decent wine selection too.

With some spiffing up of the decor and some better lighting this could be a great little place to eat.

• Visited March 2013