“Friendly and Efficient”
Review of I Heart Bikes

I Heart Bikes
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the best of Halifax by Bike. I Heart Bikes offers guided tours of Halifax and outside nature areas, bike rentals, and a retail shop. Their bicycle tours are the best way to experience Halifax, whether you are looking for sightseeing attractions, cruise ship shore excursions, a fun and interactive history lesson, or simply looking to experience the green side of the city.
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had a day in Halifax and only had an article from the New York Times travel section for a guide. We rented a pair of bikes from Julia, whose cheerful and attentive service was excellent. She went over the map with us and pointed out several places we should see. Julia clearly knew the territory well and advised us on the best routes for getting around. We had an excellent time! We got to see more of the city than if we'd gone by foot, plus we had the freedom to do as we pleased. We couldn't have asked for more! That's why the discounts at several local businesses were so nice, especially Sugah! I heart I Heart Bikes!

There are newer reviews for I Heart Bikes

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We rented some bikes from Sarah at I Heart Bikes and we had a really awesome day!! She was so friendly and made sure we had everything we needed to make the day perfect -- helmets, bike locks, bike baskets with locally-sourced gourmet picnic lunches (yum!), even a picnic blanket! She went over a map with us and helped us find the best way to go, then set us loose. We had a fantastic time and I definitely plan to have another I Heart Bikes experience the next time we visit Halifax!

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Hej guys,
we took a tandem and rode throu the park at the coast and afterwards throu nearly every street in Halifax ;-)
We liked your helmets and the whole store it was so cute. Everyone was so nice.
The bike was very good and secure.
We enjoyed it so much.
Thank you for this experience.
Martin & Marieke from Germany

P.S.everyone in our little town knows I HEART BIKES now, so if they will visit Halifax they will take a bike from you for sure :-)

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Great alternative to an excursion if you've just gotten off a cruise ship. We found this business just by walking down the boardwalk past the shops. On a whim we rented 2 open-framed touring bikes which come with a basket, a cable lock, a full city map and a helmet. Mine had a cute 'peppermint candy' colored bell.
The lady who rented them out explained the workings of the gear shifting which was simple. Bikes were sturdy and easy to maneuver. Adjust seat height-have someone hold the bicycle upright while you sit on the saddle, resting your heel on the pedal in the lowest position. Your leg should be straight...this allows your knee to be slightly bent when you push the pedal to the bottom of its stroke...which allows you maximum pedaling power.
We biked all over the city, starting up Sackville St. towards the Citadel.(we heard that coasting down from the Citadel overlook gives you a sense of flying) To takes breaks in the climb uphill, we would 'serpentine' along side streets and thus see even more sites:Halifax Public Gardens, Bishop's Landing, Parks....for 2 to 3 hours. Total price was around $45 for us both.
One note... at one point when riding over railroad tracks, my drive chain slipped off, but I figured out how to reattach it on my own. I just wound the pedal backwards while pressing the gear shaft forward, thus giving the chain more slack. Then I was able to link the chain along the front chain ring, starting at the bottom and going counter-clockwise. Back at the booth, I was able to clean my hands of the black grease with a mixture of liquid soap and baking soda.
We saw more than any cruise excursion would have taken us to in a day.
All-in-all, we thoroughly enjoyed this adventure!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We thought this was a very good bike trip. The tour was about the right length, a little over 2 hours. We saw the major highlights, including the north and south end, the Citadel, an old church that was there during the explosion in 1917, business areas, one of the many colleges, and several parks and monuments. The tour guide, Marissa, was a college student, and viewed and explained most areas from that perspective. Her detail was about right: not so much detail that you would become lost in the verbage, but enough so you knew what you were viewing and why. She watched out for us in traffic and watched the pace. The route tended to minimize the major uphill rides so we ended up going down the really steep hills rather than up. We would recommend this trip to anyone wishing to view the city from self-propelled wheels! Sam and Linda Kent Sept., 2012

1  Thank Samuel K