“Excellent Hostess!”

Local Tasting Tours
Ranked #2 of 15 Food & Drink in Halifax
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Downtown Halifax food tours including delicious tastings from locally owned eateries. Our short walking routes are delectable explorations of local neighbourhoods, and include tastings such as handmade chocolates, craft beer, charcuterie, award-winning shawarma and more. Learn about the exciting cuisine,culture, and the people who make Halifax a memorable culinary destination. Tours are led by entertaining local guides and depart from the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market and other downtown locations seven days a week. Evening tours take a relaxed pace and include a full evening meal and wine tastings in a progressive dinner format. Take a bite out of Halifax!
Muncie, Indiana
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Excellent Hostess!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My family (kids 14 and 8) took this tour at the beginning of July. The walking was enjoyable even though it was one of the hottest days of the summer. The guide was very personable and knowledgable not only about the food during the tour but the history of the town, buildings and local culture. This food tour was more than the wonderful food experience, but an immersion into the qualities of northeast Canada. Later in the week we drove to Prince Edward Island and I was amazed at the spontaneous comments the children made regarding the history our guide spoke of as we passed road signs. Kudos for the guide in making the food tour fun and most of all educational for our entire family! This is highly recommended! Also, we have taken food tours in other cities in the US and Canada and this was the first tour that gave a bottle of water in the middle of the tour to carry with us. It was much appreciated and made the tour more comfortable.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Curtis B
bookmakerem, Owner at Local Tasting Tours, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thanks so much for your lovely comments - - it was a pleasure to have you on the tour on that warm day and we're so glad you enjoyed the local history and food! Glad you had a great trip around the Maritimes.

Houston, TX.
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Wonderful to deal with”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was on a cruise and had prebooked on my own this tour. The cruise was a few hours late so I wasn't able to do this exact tour but they actually put me on a later city tour and had a gourmet lunch sent to me so we could have a picnic after the tour. TOP NOTCH all the way!!!! Great bike tour too!!!

Visited June 2013
bookmakerem, Owner at Local Tasting Tours, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
We are so glad you enjoyed your local gourmet lunch from Jane's and your experience in Halifax! Give us a shout the next time you're in town - we would love to take you on one of our local food tours.
Westmeath ont
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We got lucky and had a private tour, on Tuesday June 18th. Emily is friendly, knowledgeable and answered all of our questions about Halifax. The places we visited not only had good food, but where interesting. We got to meet the owners who all have unique backgrounds. Thanks Emily for adding to our amazing vacation in Halifax.

2 Thank CjhWestmeathont
bookmakerem, Owner at Local Tasting Tours, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
It was such fun chatting with you two about the steer BBQs and everything else! Thanks for coming and so glad you had a great time in Halifax!
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“I am not a tour person...but this tour was amazing!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Despite the raining weather, Emily showed up just for my friend and I, prepared with ponchos and umbrellas. She was full of so much insightful and interesting information, that the rain didn't even matter. As for the food, it was all absolutely delicious. There wasn't one item that I did not like. The shawarma (sorry to give away one of the foods) was probably the best I ever tried (and I am Israeli). Thank you so much for taking us Emily! I highly recommend all visitors and even locals to go on this tour!!!! Amazing value !

2 Thank GenVinni
bookmakerem, Owner at Local Tasting Tours, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
It was so great to have you both on our tour and to give you a taste of Halifax - many thanks for the review!
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Rain or Shine Tour Goes On”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My friend and I went to Halifax on the weekend of June 6th and booked our Downtown Hali Food Tour in advance. The weather was really rough on the day of our tour, and so many people rescheduled so it turned out we ended up getting a nice private tour with Emily. She was a really great tour guide and very knowledgeable. We muscled through the walk regardless of the weather and she kept everyone's spirits high.

We tried some really great food, ranging from soups to salads and a great shawrma etc. She gave you the back story on all the owners and how they make the food also. She also showed us some key sites/landmarks along the way.

Overall great experience and definitely worth the money!!!

2 Thank Maria P
Thanks so much for your review and we're delighted you enjoyed our great local food despite the weather!!