“Wonderful Unexpected Surprise”

Shakespeare by the Sea
Ranked #39 of 143 things to do in Halifax
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We were in Halifax for two nights, and only by seeing some reviews on Trip Advisor did we even know about this. We saw an outdoor performance of Hamlet, in 2 hours 15 minutes and thoroughly enjoyed it. You hire chairs for $2, and the rest is simply by donation. They are currently performing three different shows up to the end of August, excluding Monday nights. Can't recommend it enough! Everyone should go at least once.

There are newer reviews for Shakespeare by the Sea

Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I second every comment from Amanda below. We were on our second (and last ) night in Halifax and came across SBTS info. We enjoyed Snow White with our 11-year old and we adults were laughing as hard as she was. My husband, who used to sing barbershop, was especially impressed by the great singing (and composing/arranging) of original pieces. As a theater junkie, I was in awe of how much fun and creativity this ensemble shared. Truly sorry we're not in town to see their other productions. Hats off to these artists; don't miss the opportunity to see them for yourself!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I recently saw the SBTS rendition of Snow White. First let me say it was HILARIOUS. Just introducing the show and going over the rules the actors had us cracking up. It was a very different rendition of the classic fairytale and was definitely better for it! The jokes had all the kids laughing and engaged, but there were still some subtle jokes for the adults. Really a good activity for everyone.

They've really thought of everything to make sure everyone is comfortable. We rented chairs and blankets for a dollar each so it was super comfortable and warm as the sun went down. The play is fairly deep in the park so they do offer a service to drive anyone with limited mobility to and from the parking lot (you can call ahead and book a time, but the actors/staff are also just around to make sure everyones getting there and back ok).

1  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I've seen three SBTS performances over the past couple of seasons and have thoroughly enjoyed each one. The actors are 100% committed to their performances and put on a show well worth the price of admission (A suggested $15 donation for adults).

I saw their family show (Snow White) on Saturday afternoon. It was a fun take on the well known fairy tale and pulled the entire audience into the narrative. There were some very catchy original music numbers, lots of pop culture references, and some clever gags.

Anyone of any age would most likely enjoy this show. I'd suggest bringing a picnic, going for a nice walk through Point Pleasant Park and then taking in some nice outdoor theatre.

You can rent chairs for two dollars, and they are under a nice canopy that kept us in the shade throughout the entire show, so there's no need to lug your chairs around the park.

They are doing Hamlet this year as well and I really hope to make it back down to see their take on my favourite Shakespeare play.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I watched a play by this theatre company in July 2013 in Point Pleasant Park. It was a very pleasant evening. I recommend it to everyone who would like to spend fun time with their family and friends...