“refreshing concept - great service”

Q Smokehouse & Southern Barbeque
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Description: Authentic southern barbeque on Argyle Street. Follow the tantalizing barbeque aroma through our front door, saunter on up to the counter and order up a po'boy, a rack of pork or beef ribs or a basket of spicy wings. And don't forget the sides - creamy mac n' cheese, fluffy yellow cornbread or maybe grilled peppers and onions to round out your barbeque feast. Patio open during summer months.
Dieppe, Canada
“refreshing concept - great service”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I love the concept of Q smokehouse, the food was good but maybe not great. I was surprised how small the sides were but the dirty rice was really good and it still felt like value for money. The service and atmosphere was good. I would definitely come back.

1 Thank reviewerjaz

Halifax, Canada
“If it ain't broken, don't fix it”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I have been big fans of the Q restaurant but haven't gone in over a year so we decided to go there last night for what we thought would be a guaranteed great meal. We were very disappointed. The side servings have decreased, especially the corn bread and fries. I took the pulled pork sandwich which was ok but lacked taste. My favourite part used to be the macaroni & cheese but even that has lost it's taste and creaminess. My wife got the quarter chicken (leg) and beef ribs. She ended up with a very dry chicken breast and wing and the ribs looked burnt and were definitely not fall off the bone. The only diet or no calorie drink available was water.

This has happened to us many times; a new restaurant opens in the city, we love it and then eventually, they decide to change the recipe or give smaller servings. Why can't restaurants keep a good thing going? I much rather sacrifice price for what I love than the taste, amount and quality of the food given. Bad on you, the Q!

Halifax
“Not worth mentioning”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I would like to start this review on a positive note; the service staff were friendly. Also, the BBQ sauce that I got with my ribs was very good. When it comes to the food, there were a few issues. I am a chef by trade and am also a BBQ enthusiast. To start, the speed of service. The restaurant was by no means crazy busy, but had a few tables; and my wife and I ended up waiting 25 minutes for our food. Typically, I would not complain about that sort of wait time at a normal restaurant where the food is for the most part prepared à la minute; but when it comes to a "BBQ" joint that would probably smoke their food during the day, I would expect 10-15 minutes tops. Secondly, the proteins. We ordered the ribs and the pulled pork. The pulled pork had nice taste but was far too tough/chewy to be called pulled pork. The consistency of pulled pork should be that you are able to tear the meat apart easily with a fork. This was tough tid-bits tossed in a sauce. When it came to the ribs, I was very disappointed. First off, one that was a "connoisseur", or merely enjoyed true smoked ribs; would notice that the ribs were par-boiled leaving next to no flavor in the meat. Secondly, the ribs were over cooked. When ribs are cooked properly, they should fall off the bone; but only where you take the bite out of the meat, should fall off. I would recommend that if you truly enjoyed BBQ, to save your money and take it elsewhere. One place that I will try; but have yet to, is Boneheads. When I try what they have to offer, I will be posting a review.

Ottawa, Canada
“Eat chicken...?”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This review is pretty simple. It's a BBQ joint that lives and dies on its chicken and ribs. Four of us tried this place last weekend. Three of us had chicken, and in all cases it was dynamite. Three of us had ribs, and in all cases they weren't even close to good. If I was rating it on the chicken, it's at least 4 / 5; on the ribs we had, it's 2 / 5 at most. Also worth of mention, it was unreasonably slow too considering that weren't really busy and we waited over a 30 mins after ordering.
The lemonade was fresh squeezed in front of you when you ordered - that's unusual around here and pretty good too!
I might go back; I might not. But if I do, I'm having chicken!

• Visited April 2013
New Glasgow, Canada
“Once was enough”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Tried this restaurant last week as it was on our "bucket list" of restaurants to try. We went with a family of 4 and we had a hard time deciding what to chose. Finally decided on the po boy sandwich, pulled pork sandwich, Caesar salad with chicken and chicken nuggets for the youngest. The po boy sandwich was very good. The chicken sandwich and salad were too salty and both my husband and daughter found bones in their meals. (not appetizing) This is a serve yourself place with huge wooden tables that were really sticky/ grimey feeling. The waitress was indifferent and just it seemed she would rather be anywhere but there. The total cost was under $50 so price wasn't bad. I probably wouldn't eat here again as it didn't really "wow" me.

• Visited March 2013