“Very reasonable price for Halifax”

Future Inns Halifax
Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed August 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed 3 nites in total at Future Inns in Halifax. the first two nites were in the beginning of our trip and then we came back for one more nite at the end of our trip.

We found the prices of halifax hotels to be a lot more expensive than we thought so when we came across this we were quite pleased. It is a no frills hotel but clean and the staff were very helpful. the parking situation is excellent but be aware that it is a 15 minute drive or so to the downtown/harbour area. We had a rental car so it wasn't an issue for us.

All in all if you're looking for a clean hotel in Halifax area that's not too expensive i highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mystique7

Reviewed August 14, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights while staying in Halifax.
Hotel was very clean and was a lot less expensive than one of the hotels downtown.
Very convenient to get on the highway if you want to make a day trip into Peggy's Cove or Lunenburg.
About a 15-20 minute drive to the waterfront.
Even the on site restaurant was quite good and affordable which you don't get at a lot of hotels.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed July 23, 2009

My wife and I were in Halifax on a short "first time" visit to Nova Scotia. I booked through the Future Inns webb Site and the weekend rate was $119.00, Week day rate was $99.00. I contacted the hotel and was told the "flate fare" from the Airport to the hotel was $54.00. I believe there is an Airport to Hotel(s) shuttle bus for about $18.00, which maybe fine if you are traveling alone. (I had booked a car from Enterprise ("Susie Lake Road" location) which was quite close to the hotel and they picked us up at the hotel in the morning. I booked the car for four days, and saved considerable $ over the airport location, even with the $54.00 dollar cab ride.)

They have a computer, internet and lazer printer for guest use, at no charge.
We arrived around 11:30 P.M. and the staff could not have been more pleasant or helpful.
One of the reasons I booked here is the cancellation policy of 4:30 P.M. the day you are "arriving". Our plans were uncertain and we decide to do the Cabot Trail. I wasn't certain of how long it would take, and the night staff were again great and said: "look, even if you call later we won't charge you for the night!" We finally realized that we would stay on the Cabot Trail and cancelled, before we left but I thought it was nicely handled by the staff.
To keep this short, read all the possitive reviews here and we agree with them!
The room and bed were comfortable and clean. I believe you can request a fridge in the room DOA.
We recommend this place and will stay here next time we are in Halifax, Nova Scotia! There is so much to see, we plan to go back!
TAR

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2009

The hotel was very basic, clean and close to shopping, but if the people that you have running it can't accomodate their customers, then people will find other places to go. More on that later...

I have stayed at hundreds of hotels/motels in my life (including some pretty bad ones in West Africa and a 2.5 star in cuba) so I have a wide range of experience in what to expect in various price ranges. At $109 CDN a night outside of Halifax, its a moderate expectation. Expect a 20-minute trip to get to downtown Halifax.

First, the hotel itself: Not a bad hotel. Has your basic needs, and is close to the highway to halifax, and very close to the new-style "Power" shopping area. Hotel was clean, and very basic. Nothing special here. Rooms were small, no real closet, no microwave, no little fridge, and as my 8-year old put it " a yucky TV". This hotel has no pool, a very basic fitness room, and no complimentary breakfast awaiting in the lobby. There is really nothing special that stands out about this hotel. Very close by is the Holiday Inn and Quality Inn that offer up a whole lot more for your money. I have stayed at both and would recommend either over the Future Inns.

Now for the part that ruined our experience at the hotel. We were part of a larger group of hockey parents staying at this hotel. Our group had 15 rooms for 3 nights. Doing the math, that's $4,905 that we spent there just for room rentals. If you're a business traveller that doesn't do the sports travel thing, you may not have sympathy for us. That's fine. For those who understand though, you know that these sport trips are all about socializing and meeting parents from other teams, etc. To do so, means having to come out of your room at some point. Every hotel we've experienced for sports trips have accomodated teams by offering up meeting rooms, hospitality suites, something for people to get together and socialize. Every one except the Future Inns. Despite our repeated polite requests for such, we were denied such a place. The rooms were available, as we could see them empty. So, with no pool in the hotel, no meeting room, no lobby area to socialize in, what do you think happens? People congregate in the halls.

We had a horrible experience with the "Room Assignment Manager" (Ironic, the guy who could actually get us a meeting room) who made it his mission to get everyone out of the halls and into their rooms with their drinks. It wasn't the message he was sending, it was the aggressive, controlling manner in which he dictacted. He offered no alternatives, didn't care that we had no place to socialize and let the situation escalate into a tense situation. There was no politeness, no customer satisfaction, and no accomodating the needs of the clients from this guy. And this is a "Manager". He threatened to call the police on us, wasn't interested in our concerns, nor had any sympathy for our situation. He did this in front of a large group of people (about 20 people) and made no attempt to apologize to any of us for his completely unacceptable behavior. He was rude with our kids (8-12 range) and gave them no outlet for their energy. We are all still shaking our heads after this incredible bad experience.
Yes, we were socializing with a drink or two, but were quiet, respectful, and nobody was under the influence at that point. Meanwhile, we received text messages from other teams down the road about the great room that the hotels gave them for their socializing, setting up a projector for the kids, a meeting room for the kids to play in, etc.

Normally, I would let this kind of thing just slip on by, but I couldn't let this go. I escalated to the General Manager days later, who arrnaged a meeting with me and two othe rparents who felt the same. In the end, despite his apologies for his rooms assignment manager's behavior, nothing was offered to us. I was really looking for an apology from the offending staff member, that would have made this really go away. I have received nothing to date.

Now, Future Inns use the "Where Business Stays" as its tagline. If that's what they want to cater to, then that's their decision. However, they accepted us, as a sports team, knowing full well the expectations. From their website is this little diddy:

"At Future Inns we pride ourselves in excellent value and unrivaled Guest Service. With complimentary amenities like internet access, parking & local calls, and full service features like on-site restaurants, we promise your stay will be complete. Whether you are traveling for business, visiting on a family vacation, or just passing through, our hotels will put you just steps away from local shopping, dining & entertainment and within easy access of major highways and airports. "

"Unrivaled guest service"..."We promise your stay will be complete"... hmmmmmm.

In closing, if you're a business person who wants a no-frills hotel with nothing special about it, go ahead. If you're a family, or god-forbide, a sports team looking for a bit more than just a room, keep looking down the road.

• Stayed: April 2009
3  Thank CharlesMoncton
Reviewed October 23, 2008

I can't understand the bad comments left for this hotel. It IS about a 20 minute drive from downtown Halifax BUT a cab costs $20 (we took a few so this is accurate), and you're saving about $100 a night. I enjoy staying in suites and the suite at the Future Inns was way above expectations. It cost $150 a night and had a king sized bed in the bedroom with a large flat screen hd tv and several chairs, along with a huge closet, dresser and tons of space. The living room area had a double pull down bed with a tv, plenty of seating, a sink, fridge & microwave, as well as a desk. The bathroom was also large in size and very clean. Parking is also free, something you will not find at a hotel downtown. The service was very friendly and went out of their way to make sure I was happy and comfortable, they carried all of our bags to our room, we arrived before check in so they called housekeeping to clean our room right away and let us enter early. The suite was just as nice if not NICER than the suite I stayed in at the Prince George and at $100 cheaper per night I felt it was a great deal. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone, it maybe a 20 minute drive to downtown Halifax but there is plenty of great restaurants and shopping in the area.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 16, 2008

Booked on-line and completely satisfied with this hotel. Conveniently located, easy access to city, shopping areas and restaurants (hotel also has its own excellent restaurant).
Surprised at the quality for very reasonable rate for the 2 night stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 21, 2007

Future Inns Halifax is a spotless and modern facility about twenty minutes outside of Halifax that is very convenient to the airport. The lobby is quite comfortable and the restaurant and bar are excellent. Ample parking is available.

Rooms are very large and well-decorated and the facility appears to be completely non-smoking. The furniture is of pickled oak with a pale white stain. The decor in my room was pleasant with blue/beige draperies, valences, and spread. Lighting is good and prints of country watercolors are easy on the eyes and a step up from the framed things one usually finds in hotel rooms. An alarm clock, blow drier, coffee maker, iron, and other amenities can be found in each room.

The bath is large and well-lit with a giant modular tub/shower. Water pressure is great. Towels are fluffy and plentiful and French Milled Soap is a plus. There is lots of space for your toiletries on the large vanity.

I like the quality of this hotel very much; however, it is not convenient to town. I think that on my next visit to Halifax, I'll choose a better location.

• Stayed: August 2007