“Not what it used to be” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Bistro By Liz

Le Bistro By Liz
Ranked #18 of 710 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: French, European, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Liz Ingram-Chambers brings you Le Bistro by Liz, where you will find a bit of old world French charm right in the heart of Halifax. A quaint, cozy full of life restaurant that features lots of Parisian cafe favorites, cooked in an open style kitchen.From the moment you enter the doors you get caught up in the unpretentious atmosphere, hear the buzz of friendly conversation and experience the best in customer service. Offering quick lunches, great brunches and evenings that never end live entertainment Wednesdays through Saturday nights Weekends brunches includes FREE drink Le Bistro is the place for any occasion or delectable delight.Le Bistro by Liz is now open and waiting to serve you!
Dartmouth, Canada
“Not what it used to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went to Le Bistro by Liz last week for an anniversary dinner, and to be honest, I was sadly disappointed. The original Bistro was my all-time favourite place to go, both for the food and the ambiance, so version 2.0 admittedly had a lot to live up to. The look of the restaurant is very similar and the menu seemed to be too. I ordered the pâté which I remember as fantastic. While the original was chunky and balanced, and served with a delicious blueberry coulis, this one was downright terrible. The consistency was grainy and far too puréed, with no seasoning and overwhelmingly liver-y. It came with a ginger peach chutney (compote maybe) which was nothing more than a few canned peach slices on the side of the plate. My partner had the mussels with the spicy marinara sauce and we both thought they were great. The sauce definitely has a kick to it but it worked. For our entrées, I had the linguine with scallops and mushrooms which was pretty good, and he had the bifteck au Bistro, AKA steak. I was surprised when he, someone that doesn’t cook at all, said that the steak tasted like it had been boiled, and when I sampled it, I agreed. It seemed like the steak had been steamed during cooking so it lost all its charbroiled goodness. The quality of meat was also pretty low, more something you might buy for a quick cheap dinner for one than something worthy of being served in a restaurant. Finally, we finished with a lavender crème brulée which was fine, but nothing special. Service throughout the meal was decent, but overall I feel that the whole experience was a few levels lower than what I expected or remembered.

Halifax, Canada
“Very good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was our first visit to Le Bistro by Liz. and we were not disappointed. Our server Clinton was just a wonderful server. We started with the Artichoke Pâté which was one of the best we have had in a long while. I had the Beef Bourguignon and my wife had the Crepe Florentine both were outstanding. The topper was the Creme Brûlée which was delicious, it was just a great way to end a perfect meal.
Great atmosphere, nice and quite. The linen tablecloths add to the French feeling. We will not wait long to return.

1 Thank gjsamson
Toronto, Canada
“Scrumptious”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

A big party of us dined here prior to a conference. The seafood crepe was scrumptious, accompanied by a nice wine. Friendly service and good atmosphere.

Visited June 2013
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
“Outstanding Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We visited Halifax last week for the first time in several years. Decided to visit Le Bistro as it used be a favourite spot for us. Arrived Sunday at lunch time to find that the Brunch Menu was in operation but I was craving the seafood crepes off the main menu. The owner overheard me saying this to a waitress and after checking with the chef offered to cook the crepes for me and mussels for my wife. Both dishes were as we remembered them....delicious. You can't beat great food and outstanding service except I also thought that the prices were very reasonable compared to other Halifax restaurants. Highly recommend

Halifax, Canada
“Best Dining in Halifax!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Le Bistro by Liz is a gem! The atmosphere is warm and inviting, and the staff are well-trained and very knowledgeable. Best of all - the food is outstanding! I've enjoyed dinner and lunch, and it's always consistently excellent. We even booked our office Christmas Party there and everyone was very impressed. Make sure you meet Liz on your visit too - she is passionate about creating a great experience, and you will enjoy meeting her!

• Visited May 2013