“You MUST try this restaurant if you haven't already!”
Review of Le Bistro By Liz

Le Bistro By Liz
Ranked #20 of 748 Restaurants in Halifax
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Liz Ingram-Chambers brings you Le Bistro by Liz, where you will find a bit of old world French charm right in the heart of Halifax. A quaint, cozy full of life restaurant that features lots of Parisian cafe favorites, cooked in an open style kitchen.From the moment you enter the doors you get caught up in the unpretentious atmosphere, hear the buzz of friendly conversation and experience the best in customer service. Offering quick lunches, great brunches and evenings that never end with live entertainment Wednesdays through Saturday nights.. Weekend brunches include FREE drink. Le Bistro is the place for any occasion or delectable delight.Le Bistro by Liz is now open and waiting to serve you!
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I took my friend and her sister to Le Bistro By Liz this week and we were all pleasantly surprised!

To start, they had a great selection of wines...something for every palate. We decided on the Vestons de Patates (undressed potato skins) and Moules de L'Atlantique (Atlantic mussels) with creamy, garlicky Chablis sauce for appetizers. Heaven!

For our entree order, the server was very knowledgeable and responsive to our needs (one of us is a vegetarian, another minding her waistline) and suggested appropriate solutions for the questions we had. When one diner had reservations about a creamy vinaigrette on her Salade a l'Orange et aux Amandes, the server offered to provide a different dressing on the side so she could change it if it wasn't for her. For the calorie-counter, she confirmed which dishes are typically considered healthier fare, and offered an agreeable workaround for the preferred Crepe Marocaine (instead of being served in a crepe, the mild-but-flavourful curry dish was served on a bed of rice noodles....delicious!). Our other entree, the Scallops a la Bordelaise, was equally well-received.

On top of all of this goodness, the prices were unbelievably reasonable for the quality of fare provided, and we all agreed the portions were perfect, as everyone was the right level of "satisfied" at the end of the meal. I only wish we'd had enough room for dessert, as they all sounded amazing!

I would not hesitate to go back, or to recommend it to anyone. You MUST try this restaurant if you haven't already!

1  Thank Brenda P

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We happened upon this glassed-in restaurant situated on the ground floor of an apartment building, quite by accident. It's near Halifax's famed Public Gardens and some rather chichi shops, and appeared as if by magic, just when we were feeling lightheaded and in need of some lunch. But once seated, we realized that the menu didn't suit us at all: we were looking for salads and that didn't seem to be the focus of the day's menu. The manageress(possibly Liz herself?) saw us standing up to leave and asked if she could help. We explained the problem and in no time, we had fresh garden salads topped with grilled chicken, precisely what we had hoped for. The restaurant was filled with Sunday brunch clients, yet they were able to pull this meal together without the slightest hesitation, for two hungry guests. We were delighted and impressed. Not the sort of reaction one gets every day.

2  Thank stanbrook
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We arrived in Halifax for the first leg of a 2 week vacation around the Maritimes. I was interested in pubs, music, chowders, and lobsters. My wife wanted something different to start us off. What better way than a romantic evening to start things off, remove oneself from hectic work-life, and enjoy being with a beautiful woman.

We walked to Liz’s from the waterfront. It was about a mile (20 minute walk), but it was a cool evening in June so off we went. The walk was fun, getting to see parts of Halifax other than the waterfront. As you walk there, you begin to experience local hangouts.

The atmosphere in Liz’s was perfect. The people there included couple-groups, couples, and a few professionals – all of whom seemed relaxed, happy, and chatting lightly with each other. Our waitress was very good. We asked for a wine that would be recommended with dinner and the manger came over to help us. Thank You.

I rate restaurants in terms of their potential to be what they are trying to be. In this way, I can give an awesome pub 5 stars and a fancy restaurant 3 stars if the pub is a really good pub and the fancy restaurant was ok. My wife and I discussed the rating for Liz as we were leaving. We are rating it at 4 stars thinking that (1) people who are interested in this type of restaurant should check it out but that (2) it is fairly new (less than a year old) and that they have room to grow.

I ordered a French onion soup and the salmon dish with toasted pecans and my wife order a Salade de Cesar and beef bourguignon. Each person has their own preferences so the following are our opinions. The French onion soup was excellent. The salmon was done nicely, but I would have preferred that the toasted pecans be smaller. As is, there is a pecan/salmon ratio that leans too much towards pecan. As far as the bourguignon, we will admit that we have never had it before. The beef was really good and tender, but the potatoes and gravy lacked flavor. Is it supposed to be bland?? She added quite a bit of salt and pepper and it was better. On the other hand, my wife considers the Cesar to be the best salad she has ever had.

In short, a great evening to spend with a small group of friends or for romance!

1  Thank MacPEI
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Amazing food, Fantastic Decor, Incredible Lemon Parfait Pie!!

i love local buisness that supports local causes like Childrens Wish Foundation. Just Goes to show Liz puts her heart in everything shes does!

A must visit in halifax!

1  Thank Kquinlin
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I am new to Halifax so I haven't been to the old bistro but my husband and I loved Le Bistro on South Park Street. The decor was lovely. not over the top but the colors and the black rod iron and chalkboards, etc reminded us of our trips to Paris for sure. We were only there for brunch this time but we looked at the menu for dinner and we will be back. The location was awesome. The patio might be nice to sit at as well. The ambiance was very beautiful. The food was delicious. We had the Florence eggs benedict with spinach leaves. The brunch was 10.95$ which included choise of blood mary, mimos coffee or tea or juice. Great deal! The holldaise was homemade and had a yummy buttery taste. The eggs were really delicious and the potatoes crisps were to die for. The service was perfect. I loved it- Halifax needed a french bistro! thank you! Merci!

1  Thank LoriNS_Canada