“First and last time here...”

Clay West Bar & Grill
Ranked #223 of 711 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Bar, Canadian, American, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Halifax, Canada
“First and last time here...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

The only good thing about this place was the waitress was friendly and did the best she could. Otherwise the food was gross, not much of it. The drink my boyfrind got was $7.50 and tasted like it was watered down. For some reason even though it was pub food it took like 45 minutes to get and they were not even that busy. Definitely will not be back, a waste of money. For 2 beer, one cocktail and a wrap and burger with fries over $70. I am not a picky person when it comes to food but it was just tasteless and not good at all.

• Visited July 2013

Canada
“No Thanks”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Went because we had a Groupon. Nachos with a big wet pile of coleslaw in the middle of the plate anyone? Disgusting. 2 of us got to share 1 napkin and 1 knife, no forks. Philly cheese steak was ok, but really, who eats nachos with coleslaw and no sour cream? Soggy and gross. How were we o eat the coleslaw? With our fingers?? Save your money, eat anywhere else!!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank solagua
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Clay WORST Bar & Grill”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Clay WORST Bar and Grill.....

1* star

First Mistake - Bought a Groupon for Clay WORST Bar and Grill

Packed up the Wife and kids and headed out for a, Family sit down Dinner, out for a change. On route we received a call, and my son was called into work, shoot....Hard to get us all together at one time theses days. We dropped him off and decided as a Family, to continue on to the Restaurant, out in Bayer's Lake.

We arrived at 12:50pm sat and ordered. While we were ordering, we explained my son being called into work and missing our family dinner out, but that we are buying his full meal anyway(still 4 meals bought), and will be dropping it off to him at work on our way home, we should be able to use the Groupon we already paid for, toward our bill. THE OWNER SAID NO!

I was Shocked at his reply, as this does not affect the total spent by even a single Penney, as we are buying the additional full supper for my Son, over and above all our meals, and HE STILL SAID NO!

My SECOND MISTAKE, Being an easy going guy, we still placed the order.

After waiting 1hr:40min our order arrived at our table. My THIRD MISTAKE waiting that long for Burgers and fries, wow! and no apology or small discount even offered for the extremely long wait?

Then the Value for Hard earned Dollar's Spent, is low. After our meal we all felt a little more of what we ordered, would have been nice. Too much Plate, not enough Food on it!

After I paid the bill, I felt just awful, like we were not of any value to them, unappreciated, and a bit upset that my Wife and kids felt it too.

We were first time Customers to his Restaurant, because he choose to participate in a Groupon, we bought, and paid for it, drove to his restaurant, and he chose not accommodate us? Given the circumstances of it being our Family's FIRST visit to his restaurant, it seems to me to be a, no brainer? Possibly better would have been "Yes, yes, yes, sir, please bring your family in, and enjoy you visit here, and I so hope you come back", but NO!, is what we got instead?

You would think with there being so, so, many choices out there, they would be more customer oriented. It's clear they are LOW on CUSTOMERS as they are giving their food away at half price, and want more Customer's, However it does little good if a Restaurant Manager puts on, and Participates in an Advertising "Lost Leader Promo"(Groupon Coupon)for Food at Half Price, only to have a NARROW MINDED OWNER Turn The Very Customers coming in from the Promo Participation, AWAY!

GROUPON SHREDDED and Will Not Return to Clay WORST Bar & Grill.

An Unhappy Family,
BigReg
P.S. In their defence, the servers were kind to us.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank BigReg A
Halifax, Canada
“Perfect place for appetizers + drinks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

They've changed their menu a bit since the last time I was here. It is now back to more of a pub style menu, which is great!

All of us ordered various appetizers and drinks which everyone enjoyed, and they had a half price appetizer special when we were there too. (Thurs night). My personal favorite is the appetizer trio of deep fried goodness: pepperoni, cheddar bites and battered pickles. Great combo!

I'll be returning again soon with a couple of other friends who I think would like to try out their new menu which is less "gourmet" than before. For awhile, this wasn't a "meet friends for a beer" type of place, but now it is again.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank TravelHelper2013
“A Local Favourite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

This place is one of our favourites. A respite from the mayhem that is Bayers Lake. Staff Is always pleasant, efficient and well-informed. They change the menu often, experimenting a little, but keeping the customer favourites. Nachos, burgers, pizza, pasta - typical menu items, but often with interesting ingredients. Tonight's Tacos Al Pastor were delicious - pulled pork, pineapple salsa and avocado crema. Yum.

• Visited May 2013