“Excellent local food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Clay West Bar & Grill
Ranked #214 of 710 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Bar, Canadian, American, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Halifax, NS
“Excellent local food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

We took our family here for dinner. The food was incredible. Our kids had the fish and chips, and the hamburger and carrots. They cleaned their plates. The hamburger was fresh and had a great meat flavor rather than being overly seasoned. The kids fish pieces were a little small but fresh. My husband and I shared the pulled pork sliders as an appetizer. It was a good size for sharing and the pork was very tender. I had the meatloaf with mashed potatoes and veggies. The barbecue sauce was very flavorful but not overwhelming. My husband had the pulled pork poutine. It was a bit rich for me, but he loved it. The desserts were a highlight. We shared the chocolate silk pie...actually our kids cleaned that up with a sundae, while we shared the blueberry grunt. The pastry was delicate and piping hot. This restaurant is an excellent option in Clayton Park and beats all those bland chain restaurants hands down. We have a new local favorite.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank wspears

Halifax Nova Scotia
“Doing pretty well for new spot. Real unprocessed food, a nice change.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

Went for lunch today, only a week or so since opening. Only complaint is it took about half an hour to get our food, which is not useful when you have to get back to the office. The server did apologize and said we arrived just as the kitchen "got slammed". The restaurant was about 1/2 full, but maybe they weren't expecting so that many people to find them so quickly.

The soup of the day looked good, but I decided on 1/2 chicken alfredo pizza with a side ceasar salad. It looked a little small when it arrived, but was more than sufficient. I like my ceasar salads unhealthy--lots of creamy dressing and cheese--and this one was lighter, but the greens were fresh and crisp, as was the bacon! The chicken pizza was tasty, and clearly made from fresh food...real chicken and veggies, real crust. My husband had the onion burger and fries. This was a fresh, hand-made burger. The onion flavours were nice, complex, and I can't swear the fries were fresh-cut, but if they weren't, they had been well-handled.

The menu isn't fancy or complicated--our server indicated they were still tweaking things, which is sensible--but it's very nice to have fresh food. Too many places use frozen or packaged everything, especially in this casual style/price range. The decor also is not fancy, but servicable, and the tacky tiki "roofing" from this restaurant's last incarnation is gone. We had a good, pleasant server who obviously took the work seriously, and knew her menu. I have a feeling this would be a good place to go after work for dinner and a beer. No kids' menu that we saw, though we did see a little one in a high chair. Maybe the kids' menu is coming.

We spent about $30 for two entrees, two non-alcoholic beverages, tax and tip. I'd go back.

• Visited January 2012