“Great Short excursion on the Harbour front”

Harbour Hopper Tours
Ranked #3 of 50 Tours in Halifax
Dartmouth, Canada
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Great Short excursion on the Harbour front”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Although I am a local my wife and I decided we would play tourists and take the tour. Man are we glad that we did it is fantastic! the tour is about 1 hour and about half on land and the other in the harbour. The staff were very fun and knowledgeable the tour takes you through the old downtown core of Halifax with many historical sights and stories, then its down for a plunge in the harbour and a wonderful tour of the harbour front from the water. All in all a very enjoyable experience!

Visited July 2013

Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“fun and informative”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The Harbour Hopper tour is a great way to get to know downtown Halifax. The tour guide made the experience fun and entertaining with her stories and jokes. The only thing I'd suggest is that they turn up the volume on the mic because sometimes it was hard to hear especially when we were in the water.

Sk, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Best tour ever (grandaughter)!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

What a fun time....Andrea the guide was a hoot...and told about the Halifax explosion and all the Halifax history. Well worth the money and time!

Halifax, Canada
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Fun, quick, informative, a bit pricy”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My dad, in Halifax for other business, expressed a surprise desire to do the Harbour Hopper so we made it happen. The mid afternoon ride was sold out but we got a later ride. Prices are touch high but my military discount and my dad's senior discount helped. Even at full price it wouldn't be out of range for the majority of visitors.

Note, if you pre-book/pre-pay for your tickets, you have to go pick the tickets up at the Harbour Harbour 'shack' which is on the water's edge not 75m from where the actual vehicles pick up/drop off passengers. There is no ready sign pointing this out and I'm glad another rider pointed this out to me.

Also note that seating is first come first served so if you have a large group, be early if you want to all sit together. There is no wheelchair access as the steps up to the seats is very steep.

The ride was fun and informative. As a soldier myself I would have liked to see (hear) more history of the military in Halifax. The tour guide pointed out City Hall and grand parade but did not mention grand parade is still used for military parades, going back to the city's founding, The tour guide also pointed out the only remaining military barracks building in Royal Artillery Park, but did not mention any details at all about RA Park itself, that it still houses members of the Canadian Army (36 Canadian Brigade Group Headquarters) and the only Army Officers Mess in Halifax.

The water tour is about half the ride and it gives a great waterside perspective of the city. Mind you, so does a ride across on the ferry which costs a mere fraction of the Hopper ticket. But the ferry does not include the ongoing commentary nor the low to the water angle.

Our tour guide was funny and informative and made the ride very interesting. All in all it is about an hour's ride.

I'll be more inclined to recommend the HH to anyone coming to Halifax now that I've actually made the trip myself.

Nanaimo, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fun, but overpriced”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

It was fun to go on the amphibian vehicle, and transition from land to water. That was good! However, otherwise it was $32 for a 50 minute tour. I would not do it again. I recommend you do it once, especially if you have children, but not an experience I would repeat. Colin, the captain, was entertaining, and involved some of the young people on the tour in his presentation.