“A lot of fun”

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“A lot of fun”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I went to Halifax with my 11 yr old son. It was a first time experience for both of us. When I paid for the tickets I thought it was a bit expensive but when the tour was done, it was well worth it. I can't say enough about the tour guides, they knew their stuff and were very animated. I would recommend that you try to book early enough in the day as they sell out quickly on nice days. I arrived at 13:00 and only got tickets for the 16:15 tour.

Kranj, Slovenia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Excellent tour”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

One hour driven 1mio $ worth amphibious vehicle in down town and harbor of Halifax is accompanied with excellent tour guide who tells you a lot of stories of the city which you will actually remember.

Vancouver, Canada
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“good overview of the city”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is the second amphibious vehicle tour of a city that I've been on, and this one didn't quite measure up to the first (in Austin, Texas). However, it still gives a good overview of the city in just under an hour. It's a good idea for your first day in the city, so you get a sense of the place.

The tour guides are young and mildly entertaining, as they work through their schtick. You do learn a few key things about the city, like the purpose of the Citadel, the big explosion, etc. The water portion comes near the end, and you go up and down the harbourfront briefly, getting a quick peek at the destroyers.

Though it's somewhat on the pricey side, it's still a good option if you have limited time in Halifax and want to see as much as possible in a fun way.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank lomimu
Toronto, Canada
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“WORST EXPERIENCE EVER”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Harbour Hopper Tours gave my family the worst first impression of Halifax possible.
With a family and without, I have travelled to five continents and dozens of great cities and countries, and considering I am a born and bred Canadian, I did not expect this level of incompetence.
My family and I arrived in Halifax airport mid-afternoon and had set aside our first day to do the Harbour Hopper tour so that my kids could get a feel for the city and get ideas for what they would like to do the next day, out of the various options I already had planned out. I had called a week in advance to ensure that the tour would run, rain or shine, and dutifully took the ferry over from Dartmouth (where we were staying in a great B&B). We bought our tickets for the 5:00 p.m. tour over an hour in advance, and set about to walk the waterfront a bit beforehand.
Forty minutes later, we're standing outside, first in line for the tour and wondering why no one else is in line, when the ticket office calls my cell to say that the 5:00 tour has been cancelled due to mechanical issues, and that the next available tour would be 7:00. With the time that would take, plus travel time, my kids would be out way past their bed time.
As well, it was also Sunday and the last ferry back to our car on the Dartmouth side would be 6:15, so if we were to do this tour we would be stranded.
After a long and useless debate with both the unhelpful young CSR on the phone AND the manager at their main office, it was now 5:30 and the only solution the place had was to refund our money. Nevermind that we had taken the time, effort, and money to ferry across for this tour specifically, and all other major attractions were now closed. In the end, I had to apologize to my kids as we left on the ferry back to Dartmouth having wasted our afternoon/evening and accomplished nothing of our Maritimes vacation, thanks to Harbour Hopper Tours. Thankfully, Cape Breton and PEI were great and salvaged some great memories for my kids and I!

Issues at hand:
No advance warnings that tours DO NOT run "Rain or Shine", and that IF a mechanical issue arises, ticket holders DO NOT get tickets on the next tour, but are forced (if able) to wait hours until the next empty tour seats (in this case, much too late if you have young kids).
No reserve tour buses/boats in contingency for this sort of eventuality. The manager said that there was only one working vehicle out of their three. This despite myself and my kids SEEING two running tours during this time, with our own eyes--one with a load of tourists in the street, another on the water.
No suggestions by employees that were helpful---more of a "sorry, but tough luck" attitude.

In summary, no answers, no truth, and no tour.

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER.

Visited July 2012
6 Thank BubbaBri888
Ottawa, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Tour of the harbour”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

A tour of the harbour, both on land and on the water, a little more than one hour duration. The tour guide was quite interesting and amusing, found out a lot about the buildings in the Halifax harbour, and facts about the port's history. Thoroughly enjoyed the tour!