“Great meal in a fun atmosphere”
Review of Bistro le Coq

Bistro le Coq
Ranked #44 of 737 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
San Francisco, California
“Great meal in a fun atmosphere”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I have been so lucky lately in the restaurants I eaten in. I have to thank all my fellow reviewers here on Trip Advisor. I make my selections based on the revierwes I find here and I have not been disappointed. This restaurant is no different. The oysters were heavenly and very fresh. Everything was delish and perfect bistro food. Everyone in the place was very happy and having a wonderful time. All in all a great fun dinner.

• Visited October 2013

Halifax, Canada
“Friendly service and excellent food”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We enjoy eating here every time, even when we have to sit at the bar. The staff are very knowledgable and always recommend excellent, affordable wine pairings.

• Visited January 2014
Windsor, Canada
“You're kidding,right?!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I visited Le Coq last week in search of an authentic French meal. I had wine,escargot,steak frites,creme brulee and cognac. I know! It was a shoot the works kind of night. The food was good,but nothing was "wow". The best dish was the escargot. I had a side order of mushrooms with the steak-6 pieces of mushroom that were dry and I think cost$3.50. When the waiter brought the bill there was a charge I didn't recognize(the whole bill was just over $100.) When I asked( I think the charge was $2.99 ) he explained that it was because I had a refill on my coffee. You're kidding,right ?!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Alan G
Utila
“Yummy and perfect Service”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I wish I could remember our waitresses name because she was awesome! We wanted a wine recommendation and confidently brought us an excellent bottle. We did not ask for the price so were a bit concerned, but it turned out she brought us one of the cheapest bottles!! So not trying to rip us off at all. The food was delicious.. I had tuna TarTar and french onion soup.. Prices are reasonable for portion size as well. Atmosphere was awesome and the restaurant is beautiful. Wish I could go back! Such a cute spot! I know my friends LOVED the french fries done with Duck fat... but that sounded just a bit too exotic for me :)!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Brooke N
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“A very fine restaurant -- for the able bodied.”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This was our first visit to the Bistro le Coq, and it was a satisfactory debut. The wait staff were considerate, the menu choices diverse, and all the meals were well-prepared and presented. Portions were on the large side, so unless you are a big eater, or like doggy bags, be conservative in your ordering. There is a fine list of wines, and a diverse array of cocktails.

The restaurant is noisy, however, and it was frequently difficult to hear the conversation at our table, and there were just four of us.

The one huge drawback to this establishment is that it is absolutely inaccessible to anyone with any physical disability. Wheelchair users, those with vision or hearing problems, indeed anyone with modest mobility issues, should avoid this restaurant. The restaurant is dark, and has different levels separated by short flights of stairs. The layout is very hard to negotiate. And the restrooms are down a set of stairs in the basement. In this day and age this is totally unacceptable.

• Visited December 2013