“Halifax On Review”

Four Points by Sheraton Halifax
Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed August 25, 2006

We stayed in Halifax after a wonderful experience on the Cabot Trail.
The Sheraton was located 0ne block from the waterfront area which was handy and within a short walk to many restaurants.
The hotel stated that there was a restaurant on the second floor which was deceiving because the restaurant was not in the hotel at all. You had to walk through the second floor through the plaza to get to the restaurant - we didn't order room service but it would be a long treck for your food to arrive!
The hotels hot tub was broken which was dissapointing as we were looking forward to a soak but the pool was a nice temperaturealthough there were a lot of kids and families swimming.
The room was very long and unique - we had a corner room that gave us a glimse of the waterfront - they are building a hotel right in front of this property which will limit the view of the waterfront area.
The room overall was fine - we had a sitting area with leather couches and a tv with a seperate bedroom with a king size bed. We paid $ 170.00 per night - I had originally planned to book the Marriott but it was full and that property carried a price of $ 230.00 - overall it was a fair price for the location. Pier 21 was very interesting to get background into the immigration to Canada and the waterfront was nice with Buskers and many bars and restaurants. Many restaurants in the area for dining - Overall a fairly nice experience - not a lot of character to this new hotel but a fair price for the location

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
13  Thank luv2travel67

Reviewed August 22, 2006

I researched several Halifax hotels on their websites and chose this one for the best price and for the location, walking distance to everything. The website also gave excellent descriptions of the different room options, and a map to the property that was very clear and helpful since I'd never been to Halifax.

My room was very clean, with one of the most comfortable beds I have ever had in a hotel, a spacious living room area and bathroom, and ample choices on the satellite TV. My room was on the side away from the harbor, with a view of a central courtyard with murals of old-fashioned shops painted on the walls, nothing special; but truthfully, at this location I wouldn't pay extra for a harbor view, it's not that special at this particular part of downtown.

The parking garage opened directly into the lobby, which was very convenient. The pool is in an odd windowless subterranean setting, but was very clean and well-heated. The fitness room next door to the pool was clean and well-equipped. There was a computer with internet access and a printer in the lobby. Staff was friendly and very knowledgeable of restaurants (I recommend Little Fish for seafood). The hotel restaurant has gotten excellent reviews, but I skipped it to see more of downtown and save a little $.

If you're not going to be in the room except to sleep and you want easy access to the restaurants, Citadel, museums, shops, and nightlife, this is the perfect spot. If you want a spectacular view or a fancy property with "character," go elsewhere. I would stay here again because the location was great, the price was the best compared to similar properties, and because I had a very nice room.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
13  Thank Kinnereth
Reviewed August 21, 2006

My wife and I stayed but one night here but we enjoyed it. The room is very spacious and well appointed. A portion of the mirror in the bathroom was heated so that it did not fog up, a nice touch.

Without a doubt, that which we liked best about the place is its location. It is within walking distance of so many restaurants and places to shop!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
13  Thank joan&mike
Reviewed August 3, 2006

Spent five nights here and have never had a worst experience at a hotel. First we arrived to find out that the hotel or somewhere very near was under construction. There was no mention of this at booking. So from 7 to 7 everyday we were treated to the sound of jackhammers and rams. We got into our room to find our toilet backed up and it took a few hours before it was fixed. After the second night there our room still had not been cleaned and we were out of toilet paper. We clled down at 3pm and they said they would send up toilet paper and then clean the room. However, when we returned to our room at 11pm, the room was still not cleaned and there was no toilet paper. Finally the night manager brought up the toilet paper. The phone to our room was also not working correctly and therefore to get the front desk we had to call the hotel from our phone, we were charged for these calls! The entire stay was plagued with problems that really just made our stay a nightmare. At checkout after we voiced our complaint we were offered 1000 Starpoints, which I quikcly refused because I never plan on staying at a Sheraton again! I sent three emails to the Starwood hotels head office after our stay and after a fourth I finally received a reply with numerous excuses, but no apologie for all of the problems. All I wanted was for someone to take responsiblity and apologize for our horrible stay. I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL!

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alw0
Reviewed August 2, 2006

The best part of this hotel has to be the location. It was basically a block from everything and the hotel staff were very helpfull with tips on how to get around. The rooms were very clean and well looked after. The underground parking was well lit and very easy to get in and out of. My suggestion though is that you walk everywhere you need to go downtown because the roads are very narrow and the drivers have much more patience with pedestrians than fellow drivers. Anyway, back to the hotel.......we did have a few minor problems that you may want to be aware of. The night we arrived (dinner time on a Saturday night), they closed the hotel restaurant for a private function. We really would have preferred to eat at the hotel after a long day of driving but we were forced to walk around downtown looking for a place to eat. It took us several restaurants before we found one that had room for anyone that did not book ahead. I was so mad that they would close a hotel restaurant that I refused to eat there the rest of our stay. I specifically asked not to be put near an elevator on my reservation request but obviously that does not matter because that's exactly where they put us. Fortunately the elevators were not noisy and other than a few rude people that seem to think it's ok to yell and laugh at 2:30am it was generally quiet. All in all I would recommend this hotel but suggest you phone ahead to know exactly what you are getting.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple