“Good hotel & staff”

Four Points by Sheraton Halifax
Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here at the start and end of our recent trip throughout the Maritimes. Very clean, comfortable hotel, good service and pleasant, helpful staff. It is very conveniently located and within walking distance of most attractions, including the Maritime Museum, the waterfront, farmers market and others. No restaurant or bar in the hotel, but it provides access through an indoor mall to the Niche, a good place to stop for a drink. If you feel like having two the hotel provides a wooden chip that is good for the second drink. You can also pick up some very good, fresh muffin tops and coffee in the morning at the Niche. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Four Points by Sheraton Halifax

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I have written to the corporate office of Sheraton in hopes that they might reposnd but after some 6 weeks I have given up. We arrived late after a flight delay. Reservation had been made for months for 4 people; staff insisted it was for 3; regardless insuffiecent towels for the next 3 nights; huge water leak in the corner of the room - it was late so we ignored it; then the BIG one - got into bed only to find a wet, yellow stain with a distinct odour of urine. We were moved to another room but no compensation for the episode and were told it was a goood thing because there was a night club next door and we probably would not have been able to sleep on Friday night. Hotel was generally outdated and not as clean as it should be. Staff was friendly but not real empathetic. Good location but I would NOT recommend staying in this hotel!

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Brian2082
jodysampsonRDM, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Dear Brian2082,

First off I would like to apologize that you have not received a response to your email to our corporate office. This is certainly not the norm for our corporate office as they respond to every email in a timely manner. Would you be so kind to forward me that email so I may follow up with our IT department to ensure we are not missing any other valuable messages from our guests?

I was sorry to learn of your concerns regarding your recent stay at Four Points by Sheraton Halifax and at the outset, would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed.

I trust you will accept that the difficulties you experienced are certainly not reflective of our normal standards. Please be assured that the issues raised have been investigated and appropriate action has been taken to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future.

We do pride ourselves on our exceptionally high standard of service and I do sincerely hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience.

In closing, may I thank you, once again, for taking the time to bring your concerns to my attention. We are grateful for your support and do hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you to the Four Points by Sheraton Halifax in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Jody Sampson
jsampson@fourpointshalifax.com
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Besides the hotel having a great location in the downtown area, we found the staff to be very helpful and friendly, the beds truly "sweet sleepers" and the rooms well appointed and comfortable. The hotel layout did seem a tad unusual. From the lobby you must take the elevator to the second floor, walk a long corridor, climb a few stairs to enter the Maritime Centre, walk a corridor in the Centre, then take an escalator up one floor. All this to reach the one and only Sheraton restaurant - the Niche Supper Club and Lounge. Over the course of our four night stay at the hotel, we were, however, pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Niche's breakfasts and dinners. Notwithstanding our overall favourable impressions of the food, we were one evening taken aback to see a mouse romping across the floor, then up and around the chair cushions of the vacant table next to ours, obviously on a mission for tidbits. The server kindly offered to move us to another table but reaching any other table in the room seemed well within the scope of this seemingly fearless creature, so we remained at our initially assigned table with a minimum of one eye each cast to the floor.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank nrwell
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We recently spent 2 nights at the Four Points Sheraton. The hotel location is excellent, only 2 blocks from wharf and walking distance to many other attractions. The concierge was most helpful, giving us an umbrella to use one evening as well as advice on where to go. Our room was comfortable and clean, but the bed was wonderful!

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room rate that includes breakfast. There is a nice resturant attached.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
jodysampsonRDM, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay. We have just completed phase one of our renovations, which included: new flooring, beds, and vinyl. We will start phase two in early 2013, which will include: new washrooms, curtains, and hard goods.

We hope to see you back with us again to experience the new feel of the Four Points Halifax.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

When we arrived at the hotel, I realized that I had forgotten my purse in the cab. It had been after a long, long flight, and I was so frazzled, I just forgot it. The concierge, Trevor, was extremely helpful. There are many, many independent cab companies in Halifax--like 30+! I had no idea which cab I had taken. The concierge kept me calm (the bag had all of my family jewelry in it!), and found the right cab company and had my bag back to me within 20 minutes. I was really, really impressed. He really took it upon himself to make my problem his problem. He went above and beyond! Thankfully, my partner and I could relax once the bag arrived and enjoy our night in Halifax!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
jodysampsonRDM, Guest Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Great to hear Trevor has made such a lasting impression on your stay. I have passed your comments along to him and he has been recognized for going above and beyond the call of duty. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we look forward to welcoming you back to Halifax.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

What this hotel has going for it is its location. It is central to downtown Halifax and close to the water. We chose it for those reasons but our expectations were high because it is, well, a Sheraton and because of that, it was pricey for a hotel. We expected clean and lush. However, our room felt cold and sterile, and while the bed was comfortable, the wifi fast and easily accessible, the service prompt and friendly enough, it was just that, a place to stay. The room itself was clean except for the bathroom, which had hairs in the bathtub and very grungy tiles. It appeared to have been cleaned looking down at the tub, rather than from underneath. I expected better of a Sheraton and would have asked to change rooms but by the time I was drawing a bath, it was late and we were already settled in. However, I won't choose this property again.

Room Tip: Check for cleanliness of bathroom before accepting the room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
jodysampsonRDM, Public Relations Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Halifax, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us in Halifax. We take great pride in the cleanliness of our rooms and upholding the standards of Starwood Hotels and Resorts. Please be assured that the state of the bathroom upon you arrival is not our standard and your concerns have been brought to our housekeeping managers attention.
We have just completed full renovations on our guestrooms under the new Four Points by Sheraton brand standard and will be completing full bathroom renovations in 2013.
We hope to be able to welcome you back again to our property.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed here for one night in a King room on the 6th floor. The room was relatively spacious with a full-size couch and arm-chair. The decor was tastefully updated. The bed was very comfortable with good quality linens and feather pillows. Overall it was very clean and comfortable.

The bathroom was VERY spacious. There was a double-shower head and great water pressure. Decent toiletries. Towels however were a bit small and thin, and there were just two sets supplied.

We did have a couple complaints with the bathroom. The tiles on the shower walls needed to be bleached as there was noticable mildew in several locations. Also the towel bar was just about falling off the wall. We reported these two problems to the front desk when we left.

The room was very quiet - we were on the courtyard side and heard no traffic noise and no sounds from other guests either. We did find the A/C a bit noisy - it woke us up several times through the night as it cycled on and off.

The staff were all very friendly, helpful and welcoming.

We would consider staying here again if the price was right.

Room Tip: Our room on the courtyard had no traffic noise at all.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and the new renovations to our guest rooms. I have shared your comments and concerns with our team. We will be continuing our renovations in 2013 which will include full bathroom renovations. We look forward to seeing you again in Halifax!