“Excellent ribs”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lower Water
Transit: Scotia Square and Waterfront transit stops are within walking distance.
Description: Baton Rouge Halifax is located in the heart of Historic Downtown Halifax.Specializing in fall-off-the-bone Back Ribs,Reserve AAA steaks and daily fresh local seafood.Immerse yourself in a combination of rich history and delicious food, tied together by maritime hospitality that is second to none and remembered by all
Shediac, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent ribs”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We went to Baton Rouge in Halifax for lunch today. Our meal started off with a great soup, then we had the best ribs we've ever had in a restaurant. They were fall off the bone with an excellent BBQ sauce. This was served with French fries, which were also excellent. The service was very good, our waiter was very attentive to detail. It was well worth the drive from Shediac, NB for this meal.

1 Thank Danmic1
Rebekah M, General Manager at Baton Rouge, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are luck to have great staff. Mike is a real gem! It makes our day when we get a great review like yours. Hope to see you back soon.
Rebekah

Augusta, Maine
“Super Service and a great meal!”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was my second trip to this restaurant and it was not a disappointment. The service was great and our server Mike, provided great suggestions on food and wine. We did not have to wait long for our food and it was hot and tasted great. The staff interacted and it had a family feel. This restaurant is known for it's ribs and I had them on my first visit but this time chose a chicken dish and was equally pleased. Prices were reasonable.

1 Thank RAL102
“Great place for a birthday!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

What do you get for the guy who has everything? A great meal of course! My wife and I treated our oldest and his significant other to dinner at Baton Rouge (the chains latest location) in Halifax and we were impressed with the quality, quantity and speedy delivery of the food and beverages to our table.

We started with some of the best Margarita's we've had anywhere and then plowed through copious amounts of Jumbo Tiger Shrimp, Cajun Spiced Calamari and 4 Cheese Spinach Dip appetizers. The shrimp were luscious and firm, the Calamari tender with just the right blend of spice and the Spinach dip hot and creamy.

For Entree's we had a variety of the their offerings - The signature Rack of Ribs - tender, juicy fall off the bone with a tangy, bold BBQ sauce served with crisp coleslaw. The Rib / Chicken combo - the same great ribs with a Breast of Chicken cooked to perfection. The Filet Mignon - grilled to taste with a spicy peppercorn sauce on the side to heat things up. Finally the Seafood Linguine - pasta cooked al dente with a creamy seafood sauce and succulent scallops and shrimp. The waiter made sure that the wine pairings (including several local wines) matched perfectly.

The downside was we were unable to consume all that was served so when they came with the complimentary birthday cake we were hardly able to finish that with 4 forks. Luckily it all traveled well and made for a wonderful lunch the next day.

Parking is always a challenge in downtown Halifax, so Baton Rouge has an arrangement where they validate parking at Purdy's Wharf - about a block away - just a pleasant stroll to help settle what was a wonderful dining experience!

1 Thank Edgeinfo
Rebekah M, Manager at Baton Rouge, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
We are so glad that you enjoyed your evening with us. I can't wait to share your great review with our team. Thanks again, and hurry back!
Cheers,
Moncton/Canada
“Great Anniversary”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I went to Halifax to celebrate our 35 anniversary had no plans of where to eat and found this place at first did not want to go in but we went in. What a great place staff very friendly our waiter was perfect both our meal's were great. At the end of the meal our waiter brought us a nice piece of pie which we did not order with a big smile on his face he just said Happy Anniversary, I have no Idea how he found out. Thanks for a great time can't wait to go back

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank beerbelly
Rebekah M, General Manager at Baton Rouge, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
We are so glad that you had a great night with us at Baton Rouge. We appreciate hearing positive experiences and I will be sure to share them with our team. Hurry back, Moncton's not that far away!
Halifax, Canada
“Really disappointed”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I was really turned off this restaurant recently when my husband and I and our new baby went there for supper. We hadn't been out in a long time and didn't feel like cooking so we decided on Baton Rouge. Everything was fine up until we were leaving. The bill took forever to come and our baby (who, by the way, slept through the entire meal) started getting fussy. We asked again for the bill and finally got it. As we were walking up to pay, I overheard a certain male server say to our server in a very rude tone "Who would bring their two week old baby to a restaurant anyway?!" as if he was appalled at us for doing so or mad at the fact she was crying. It made me feel really guilty for even being there and definitely put a damper on our evening. This may not bother some people but I'm a pretty sensitive person so it did bother me. It was very loud in the restaurant in the first place and I'm 100% sure that no one else but that server was bothered by the fact we had our baby with us. I will not be returning to this restaurant that is for sure!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Heather B
Shannon J, General Manager at Baton Rouge, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Hello Heather,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. First let me say that I am so sorry. I am a mother of two small children and understand how important it is to go out to a restaurant and feel comfortable. Could you please send me an email at info@batonrougehalifax.ca detailing the date and time of your visit. I would like to investigate this incident with our teem so that we can prevent it from ever happening again.