“Superb naan, delicate basmati rice, complex & flavourful curries.”
Review of Dhaba Express

Dhaba Express
Ranked #124 of 733 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Halifax, Canada
“Superb naan, delicate basmati rice, complex & flavourful curries.”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Excellent Indian food and pleasant efficient service. A welcome addition to Bayers Lake Industrial Park, which otherwise has pretty limited dining options. Perhaps the best South Asian resto in Halifax. Sunday brunch includes thali dishes, dosas, idli -- items rarely seen here. Worth the drive.

8 Thank AllenF

Halifax
“Recommended”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Good samosas & green chilli pickle, flavorful curry sauce (a little salty), great nan. Excellent service. A great indian dinner for the price.

• Visited May 2012
9 Thank Halifaxrez
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The samosas, spring rolls, and naan were excellent. I found my lentils and spinach dish to be somewhat boring compared to the lentils I made at home a few weeks before. My partner's butter chicken was good. Both the lentils and butter chicken seemed to be healthier tasting and not as rich as other Indian restaurants I have been to. I also found the dishes to be mild and not very spicy.

The waitress was excellent and attentive. She seemed relaxed and came to our table with a smile and always kept our water glasses full.

Overall, I thought the Dhaba Express had excellent service with good Indian food, but not the best I've ever had.

• Visited April 2012
6 Thank Lobster500
“Good Indian Food”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

On reading the previous reviews for Dhaba Express and then having eaten there I wonder how objective some of the reviews actually are. The location is fine with easy parking, and the decor is pleasant, but I go to a restaurant for the food not the decor. The service was excellent and the waitress was friendlier and more knowledgeable than those at the Taj Mahal. The food was OK but no where near the best Indian I have had. I had a papadum and a vegetable samosa followed by chicken curry and basmati rice and a dhaba's paratha. The samosa seemed like it had been microwaved. The chicken curry was "on the bone" which took me back to the 80's when you had to state on or off the bone when ordering. I didn't find it particularly spicy hot or even medium for that matter but that's my personal taste. Prices are very reasonable. All things considered one of the better Indian restaurants in Halifax.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank Edwin F
Truro, Canada
“The best Asian Restauraunt in Town”
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I am very passionate when it comes to food, especilly spicy and hot. When I heard about a new restaurant opening in Halifax named Dhaba Express, I thought about my past experience back in India in the 70s. Dhaba restaurants were very popular in the northern parts of India as well as south. I preferred the southern dishes as against the northern, as it is more spicy and hot, as I am from the south.

My visit to Dhaba Express situated on Oland Cres.Bayerslake Halifax was really exciting.
This was a special trip for me to visit and enjoy the Indian cousine. I was really surprised to see the fabulous menu that they had, such as Chicken curry, mutton curry,Chicken Korma, Biryani, vegitarian dishes etc. Mind you, back in India, they never had a variety of dishes such as the Dhaba Express of Halifax. The eatery was always outside the BOX with a few chairs and tables and a single menu such as Naan bread/Puri, chickpeas and some curried meat or vegitables with a side curried/spiced potato dish.

Dhaba Express was always closed on sundays in Halifax. But for the past two weeks, I was told that they are open on sundays. How wonderful!!! I live in Truro, about 120 km from Dhaba Express of Halifax and my best days for travel are just sundays. Summer months I spent the time in my cottage on weekends, but I am glad that I will be able to make more trips to Halifax on sundays because of Dhaba Expres.

To me, Dhaba Express has the best Chef and makes the world class asian foods. The atmosphere is great, the waitress are very courteous and accommodating to pick your menus.

I extend my Best Wishes and congratulations to the management and staff of Dhabba Express for opening such a wonderful establishment in Halifax.
Keep up the good work folks...Will see you again very soon.

• Visited November 2011