“A favorite stop”

Ranked #81 of 748 Restaurants in Halifax
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have dined in the Dartmouth location on several occasions and they never fail to impress. The wait staff are very pleasant (most of them original staff members from opening day). The food is always fresh and well presented. Great wine list.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We went to the Ela! this evening with great expectations. All started off well. We were a bit rushed and mentioned this to the waitress. She took notice ensured promptness and was very pleasant and attentive.
As a disclaimer I am particularly concerned with the appropriate texture , doneness and boldness of foods.
For appetizers we ordered Kalamari, to supplement the Kopanisti Dip that came with our Entre. For the entre we ordered the Grilled Platter which included Grilled Chicken, Rack of Lamb and a choice of Souvlaki (we chose Scallops) potatoes and Greek Salad.

The appetizers were generous and delivered promptly. The Kopanisti Dip, served with Pita was excellent, we thoroughly enjoyed it. The Kalamari we found less enjoyable. We like fried Kalimari crisp and tender but found it soft and a bit chewy and the Tzatziki Dip seemed lifeless with the Kalamari.

The Platter also arrived in good time. Although, again, it was very generous it was the main dissapointment. Essentially it was overcooked. The scallops were dry. The chicken (breast meat) was tasty but had a hard external overcooked layer. The rack of lamb, requested to be medium rare, on the rare side, consisted of six lamb chops of very disperit sizes and degrees of doneness which pretty well covered the range of possibility. The potatoes and salad were fine.
In summary, the service and ambiance were excellent, the dissapointment came in the food itself.

1  Thank Andy H
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have been here about 6 times now and it was great everytime. Appetizers are good. They give you bread and herbed olive oil/balsamic vinegar dip for free. I have tried the mousaka,Makaronada,stuffed haddock. If you are a couple they have platters that are great with lots of food. We get the Grilled Platter comes with souvlakis(your choice of pork,chicken,lamb,scallop)grilled chicken breast, 6 lamb chops, and your choice of greek potatoes or rice, and greek salad. I always get the potatoes, they are roasted and are very flavourful(lemony?)the platters cost about $50.00, but between 2 people not so bad and unless you are hungry you will be taking some to go! SERVICE is excellent, the staff really care and are very attentive and professional. I would recommend ela! Hope this helps, Thanks for reading!

1  Thank Halifaxlocal
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Service extremely slow. All our party had finished main course while one member was still waiting for hers and it was a salad! Food basic and portions very small. Very overpriced for what it was. Not an experience I would want to repeat.

1  Thank Merry1995
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I love Greek food and just moved to Halifax from the US. A friend told me about Ela! and suggested I should go. I really liked this restaurant. I have never ordered a dinner plate, but the appetizers and salads are very good, especially their Village Salata and the Taramosalata dip (the flatbread that comes with it is delicious). Service isn't the fastest, but the waitstaff is very pleasant. They have a nice patio in the summer, a small bar and an attractive back dining room. Overall, a really nice place to eat and a great place to gather with friends in Halifax!

1  Thank NSPhysician