“Best pancakes and breakfast in Canada”

Smitty's Family Restaurant
Ranked #312 of 711 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: American, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Best pancakes and breakfast in Canada”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

Smittys serve wonderful food especially for breakfast, with real maple syrup! There are many scattered around.There may be a wait at busy times but worth it. Nice to go early and read the paper.

Visited September 2011

Upper Tantallon
“Awful Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

8 of us went to Smittys in Tantallon for Father's Day, June 2011. They were not prepared at all for a full compliment in their restaurant, which shocked me. Being Father's Day, you would think they would be expecting a full house. My daughter in law called them on Friday to make reservations and they told her they didn't take reservations and that mother's day was not busy so we'd be fine. We were told that there would be at least a 45 minute wait for our food, when we DID get a table, and they weren't sure when they could accomodate us. So, we gave them the benefit of the doubt and decided to wait. It took about 40 minutes for them to seat us, although many people came and went during this time. It did take about 45 minutes for our food to arrive, but we expected it to be good once it did, after waiting so long. I had a western skillet, which is basically egg, scrambled with "cooked" sausage, peppers, onion, served over home fries. The homefries were brown, and the scrambled egg was cooked, but the sausage and peppers and onions were totally raw. It was like they scrambled the egg and then dumped the rest in and served it. I have NEVER complained in a restaurant about my food, but I did not feel like paying $12 for something I could not eat. When the server asked how eerything was (about 20 mins after we were served) I had to tell her that I couldn't eat my food .... it wasn't even warm (which doesn't bother me, because I can eat my food any way it is served and would never send something back because it's not hot), but that the "stuff" in my meal was raw. Raw chunks of onion, green pepper and the sausage looked raw. Even my toast, which came with the meal, was hard, like it had sat under a lamp for a while before being served. The restaurant had lots of people running around that seemed to be working, and there were lots of empty tables, but it looked like nothing was getting done. It was one of the worst restaurant experiences I have ever had.

• Visited June 2011
Halifax
“New to Tantallon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

I'm very familiar with other Smitty's locations and know that I can expect to have the same food at any location, at any time of day. I also know that I can expect to have a friendly server who makes sure that I enjoy my meal.

The new Tantallon location lives up to the expectations.

I've now visited this location twice, once for Breakfast and once for Dinner. Each time the restaurant has not been overly busy, which is a shame. It is located in a bit of an odd location, in a small strip mall next to the relatively new Canadian Tire location.

The restaurant itself is small, but feels larger due to the table placement. The breakfast that I had was as expected. Hot, fresh and good. No surprises and the service was as expected fast and friendly.

We had dinner earlier this week as we had noticed some new menu items when we were there for breakfast. This time we were greeted by the owner/manager (I assume) and he was very open and happy to see us. He seated us in the same area as we had been before, directly between both kitchen doors.

Our server, Caroline, was also very friendly and happy to joke along with us. She recommended a particular meal as it was basically the same as one of the meals that we were looking at, but cheaper. We asked about the dessert selection as the sign on the table looked like it was local to the restaurant and we were happy to find out that some of the dessert items were made in the restaurant.

Our meals came fast, and were again good. When done, our table was cleared quickly, and we were too full to try the desserts, so our bill was delivered and we were able to pay quickly and go on our way.

From talking with the owner/manager, and our experience with Caroline, we would highly recommend this location to anyone who is looking for a hearty breakfast, or even a good dinner.

It lives up to the Smitty's brand in my mind, and has that small town appeal that is welcome in a community like Tantallon.

• Visited April 2011