“Cape Breton tour...... simply the best!”

Great E.A.R.T.H Expeditions
Ranked #9 of 50 Tours in Halifax
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: We invite you to join us for an eco-tourism adventure in Nova Scotia, Canada. Our eco-tourism and adventure tour company provides superior service and comfort from beginning to end. No need to waste your day planning, let Nova Scotia's #1 rated adventure travel operator do everything for you! Our small group tours ensure that your expedition with us will be the highlight of your vacation. All of our adventure travel tours include transportation, lunch and guiding services that will ensure you have a memorable expedition. We thank you for your interest in our company and we look forward to exploring Canada's Ocean Playground with you.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Melbourne
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Cape Breton tour...... simply the best!”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I recently planned a trip to Nova Scotia and one of my priorities was heading to the Cabot Trail. Without my own transportation I booked my place on the Great E.A.R.T.H Expeditions Cape Breton tour leaving from Halifax. Having left my backpacker days behind at least 15 years ago I was a bit hesitant at first to go on such a trip as it meant sharing a van with a bunch of strangers (most of whom I assumed would be quite young) and staying in a hostel (which I haven’t done in a long time) but this trip exceeded all my expectations.

Upon arriving at the pickup point I met my fellow travellers from around the world (Hong Kong, Scotland, Germany and Canada) who were all of a similar age but also like me solo travellers who were all keen to enjoy the wonders of the Cabot Trail. We were met by Ryan, our tour guide extraordinaire who on first meeting I knew was going to see that all of us got to have an amazing time. He was not just a driver but a historian, naturalist, environmentalist and extremely passionate about Nova Scotia and in particular Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail. Always ready to answer all of our questions (however silly they may be) and extremely friendly he is the guide that I have always wanted on a group tour (and I have done a lot of trips all around the world). Ryan’s dedication to his job and professionalism put him a class above the others.

His ability to buy food for the group for the trip (we only paid about $15 each for the duration of the trip) was budgeting to the extreme and he took us to some great locations that are off the beaten path. You were able to enjoy the scenery and the environment without the usual busloads of tourists thus making the experience more enjoyable and of course most relevant to me was the ability to take fantastic landscape photos (minus people!!). Cape Breton is an interesting mix of rivers, ocean views, beaches and mountains with a diverse range of flora and wildlife. This trip provided an opportunity to see a quick snapshot of everything the Cape has to offer.

The hike on the Skyline trail was a definite highlight particularly as it seemed Ryan had arranged for our encounters with 4 moose on the trail (a particular must see for me!). Another hike up Salty Mountain also provided an opportunity to see Bald Eagles in the wild. Other highlights included the stay at the Pleasant Bay hostel which was a great place to unwind at the end of the day with a crab dinner and bonfire on the beach as well as the opportunity to go whale watching and view pilot whales going on a feeding frenzy.

This tour provides a great mix of hiking, scenery, wildlife and as a small group tour the opportunity to forge lasting friendships with fellow travellers from all over the globe. Without Ryan’s expertise and personality none of this would have been possible.

I would highly recommend this trip and also other trips that Ryan takes (I also took the Peggy’s Cove trip from Halifax that Ryan runs and although the weather did not co-operate on the day, Ryan was equally as professional and the lunch he prepared was amazing even if I didn’t get a chance to taste one of his lobster rolls as the Americans on the trip ate them all!). If you want to experience the real Cape Breton then this is the tour for you ………………

2 Thank Sim16_12

Pitman, New Jersey
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Best Day of the Cruise!!!”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We can't say enough about the perfect day that Ryan gave our multi-generational, multi-lingual family. We came to Halifax on a cruise with family (some who only spoke Spanish) and ages ranging from 6 to 82. Ryan was excellent with the kids and patient with our need to translate often. He met our desires for adventure and intellect by customizing the hike near Peggy's Cove such that we all got a great hike with a view and an education about the vegetation of the area. He is extremely knowledgeable.

Also we need to rave about the lunch he provided -- so fantastic and fresh -- besides yummy sandwiches we dined on veggies and hummus and fresh fruit and cookies out of this world!

Finally, Ryan gave me the opportunity to re-live a childhood experience of swimming in the north Atlantic ocean. He stopped at a cove with water warm enough to swim and even provided snorkels so we could see the fish in the clear water.

Ryan gave us a perfect day - he met us on time, showed us many spots, gave us time on our own at each spot - nothing was rushed, and he got us back to our ship on time and he even took family pictures for us. Thank you Ryan. We hope to be back again!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank APLMom
Columbus, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Cabot Trail, Cape Breton Tour”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

What: Three Day Tour of the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Where: Halifax, Nova Scotia to Cape Breton return trip (included in the price), tour of the Cabot Trail and Cape Breton Highlands Provincial Park.
When: Sept 24-26, 2012
Extras: Whale Watching ($39.00), Local Snow Crab supper ($12.00)

This was a fantastic tour. We had a small group of 7 people. Ages ranged from late 20's to mid 50's (?). So it wasn't just a bunch of youngsters.

Our tour included many highlights of the beautiful Cabot trail and we did some amazing hikes. None of the hikes were too strenuous, and all of them were fascinating. There were bathroom or outhouses everywhere we stopped, so you never had an issue about having to wait to use the facilities. We saw many kinds of Eco-systems within the one trip. Woods, towns, beaches, waterfalls, marshes, and small fields. Lots of flora and fauna including the biggest variety of mushrooms and fungi that I have ever seen in one place.

Accommodations were at the International Hostel in Pleasant Bay. This hostel is on the rustic side, but provided comfortable beds and a warm friendly atmosphere.

The whale watch was at an extra cost, but I really enjoyed it and saw a whole family of Pilot Whales.

We saw Moose, dramatic sunsets and interesting birds.

If you love nature and the outdoors, this is the trip for you!

3 Thank Wiskermeister
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing Cape Breton Tour!!”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My body may well be back in a cold and wet Ireland but my heart is still very much in Nova Scotia; thanks to an incredible few days touring Cape Breton with Ryan. Even though it was only a few days, it seemed like much longer as Ryan really did go the extra mile to ensure that we all really understood why he is so enthusiastic for this incredible breathtaking landscape. He was so open, friendly and welcoming that right from the beginning, it felt more like going on a road trip with a long-time friend rather than an organised tour. Everything was so organised and he always had a number of options for those of us not wanting to do the planned activities which was greatly appreciated by all. Add to that his incredible knowledge and love for the area and you have the perfect tour. Thanks Ryan for some of the best few days of my life!!

1 Thank David M
Albany, NY
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Way to Spend the Day in Halifax”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We booked Great Earth Expeditions based on the wonderful reviews from tripadvisor. We were not disappointed! We were on a cruise so only could do their "Peggy's Cove Rock Walk" trip. We were met by Amy at the pier, and it turned out we were the only 2 - so it became a private tour. We went to the Citadel where we learned about the history of Halifax and had a great view of the harbor. Then drove out towards Peggy's Cove for a hike/walk that's easy enough for any age group, and I think kids would love all the huge boulders while the adults enjoy the spectacular views. Only ran into one family the entire walk. Then on to Peggy's Cove where we had time to look around before having a healthy lunch on a picnic table with a view. All the while, Amy told us about the natural history, geology and plants of the area. Best way to spend the day in Halifax. We were dropped off in time to stroll the pier before reboarding the ship. Highly recommended!