Great E.A.R.T.H Expeditions
Review Highlights
Peggy's Cove Day Trip Success!

My wife and I booked this the day before the tour and were contacted by the owner by phone to... read more

Reviewed September 9, 2018
John H
Sterling, Virginia
A Bit of Everything

I went to Nova Scotia with my girlfriends. I had a wonderful time touring with Ryan in his large... read more

Reviewed August 29, 2018
Kathy P
Moorestown, New Jersey
via mobile

All reviews great earth expeditions cape breton cape split peggy's cove healthy lunch rock walk nova scotia hiking tour smoked salmon hour hike small group provincial park provided lunch natural formations ocean floor great hike local flora
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My body may well be back in a cold and wet Ireland but my heart is still very much in Nova Scotia; thanks to an incredible few days touring Cape Breton with Ryan. Even though it was only a few days, it seemed like much longer as Ryan really did go the extra mile to ensure that we all really understood why he is so enthusiastic for this incredible breathtaking landscape. He was so open, friendly and welcoming that right from the beginning, it felt more like going on a road trip with a long-time friend rather than an organised tour. Everything was so organised and he always had a number of options for those of us not wanting to do the planned activities which was greatly appreciated by all. Add to that his incredible knowledge and love for the area and you have the perfect tour. Thanks Ryan for some of the best few days of my life!!

1  Thank David M
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We booked Great Earth Expeditions based on the wonderful reviews from tripadvisor. We were not disappointed! We were on a cruise so only could do their "Peggy's Cove Rock Walk" trip. We were met by Amy at the pier, and it turned out we were the only 2 - so it became a private tour. We went to the Citadel where we learned about the history of Halifax and had a great view of the harbor. Then drove out towards Peggy's Cove for a hike/walk that's easy enough for any age group, and I think kids would love all the huge boulders while the adults enjoy the spectacular views. Only ran into one family the entire walk. Then on to Peggy's Cove where we had time to look around before having a healthy lunch on a picnic table with a view. All the while, Amy told us about the natural history, geology and plants of the area. Best way to spend the day in Halifax. We were dropped off in time to stroll the pier before reboarding the ship. Highly recommended!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I just got back last night from a 3 day trip to Cape Breton with Ryan Barry (the owner of the company) leading the tour. First off, I had been worried that everyone would be in their late teens/early 20's (I'm not) and everyone was between 30 - 60 yrs of age on this trip. We only had a group of 6 plus Ryan and it was PERFECT! Everyone got along from the second we got in the van. Ryan is the ideal guide for any trip. In fact, I'd do any trip/tour that Ryan was going to be the guide for! He's extremely patient, professional, informative and fun! I felt completely safe when we would go on hikes/on cliffs. Ryan would demonstrate how far back to stay from the edges etc. He knows this stuff - he grew up on this land and he loves to share it with us - and it shows! On our first day we went on a gorgeous hike (Skyline Trail), saw 3 moose - very close to us, stayed at a great hostel on Pleasant Bay. He is so organized that he managed to buy groceries for all of us for the 3 days - and the cost? Thirteen dollars each - for all three days! Saw whales on the whale watching excursion, bald eagles, deer etc...What a wonderful way to see the world! I can't say enough about the wonderful time I had. He knows how to keep everyone happy! It completely made a so/so vacation (before the tour) a superb one! Can't wait to travel w Ryan again! Couldn't be happier!

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We recently did the "Gorge-ous Hills & Waterfall Thrills" tour. It was truly the highlight of our 5 day trip to Nova Scotia. The trail hike was very beautiful, and a great wakeup on a Sunday morning. We got to see a barred owl and a bald eagle which were amazing sights. The lunch was the healthiest (and still very delicious) that we'd eaten all throughout our vacation, which we really appreciated. Swimming in a waterfall is definitely a must-do experience. The stunning waterfalls were really the highlight of this tour and being able to swim in and climb around them made this experience more interactive and fun. We took so many fantastic photos there. Ryan is a great tour guide, knowing so many facts about the areas that we explored and he really clearly enjoys guiding this tour, which makes it even more enjoyable. If you are looking for a little adventure during your vacation, or if you want to experience some of Nova Scotia's natural beauty, this is the tour for you.

Date of experience: August 2012
2  Thank margaree29
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Cruised into Halifax with Carnival and their excursion offerings were pretty lame as I was looking for something with a little adventure in a natural setting. Found E.A.R.T.H. in tripadvisor, signed up, and had a day that exceeded all expectations. The highlight of the trip was the short, gentle hike. It took almost 1.5 hours because Ryan could talk on so many aspects of this natural area; those I would never have took notice of. The views were awesome. The guide has personal insight into the area's natural surroundings, history, and downtown vibe.

Date of experience: August 2012