“Excellent food!!! Hope to go back soon!”
Review of Cafe Istanbul - CLOSED

Cafe Istanbul
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: South End
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My friend and I went to see Serena Ryder last night at the Rebecca Cohn and it was excellent. Before the concert, we went for supper to the Cafe Istanbul. It was only about two blocks away from the concert area so we just parked there and walked. The food was excellent!! It's not a very big place and it was packed! We hadn't made reservations so we were worried when we went in that we wouldn't get a seat. But some people had just left and there was a table for two so they sat us right down. It was loud and noisy, but not in an annoying way, we really liked the atmosphere. We had to leave for the concert, but if we had been able to stay, they have belly dancers there at 7:30 pm on Saturday nights. They also have live music there on Friday nights. We think we will go back down there sometime to see the belly dancers. They bring a basket of pita bread to the table to start with. We each had a glass of red wine, then I had the Cheese Borek which is Deep fried phyllo pastry triangles filled with feta cheese (I'd actually asked for the chicken borek but I don't think he heard me, but I was quite happy with these and would order them again). They came with a salad underneath and a salsa and dipping sauce. They were crispy and airy at the same time and I loved them. Then I ordered the Halloumi wrap which was a pita wrap with grilled Turkish goat cheese with tomatoes and onions on it. It was delicious and so filling and it came with a Turkish salad. The Turkish salad was made with thin slices of cucumber, tomato, red onion, green pepper, and lettuce. It was so fresh tasting. We didn't have time or room for dessert though. My friend had the falafel and said it was the best she had ever had and she gets it everywhere we go! She also had the Beyti kebab which is grilled slices of lamb tenderloin and it came with Turkish rice and salad. She loved her meal as well and we would definitely recommend this spot, and we do hope to return there someday. The waiter/owner, I think, was very nice and friendly. They really seem to appreciate the business and make a person want to come back. We live approximately an hour away and are already planning to return.

4  Thank lypsiladdict
There are newer reviews for Cafe Istanbul

Reviewed February 19, 2013

The service at Cafe Istanbul is wonderful. The grilled meat kebabs and appetizers are also wonderful - I highly recommend the vegetarian platter (truly a fresh, authentic variety!)

The only thing I have an issue with is the consistency of the vermacelli basmati rice pilaf. Sometimes the rice is fresh and buttery smooth, and other times it is hard and doesn't taste fresh. I enjoy my kebabs with salad and rice, so if the rice is not fresh - it can ruin the whole meal.

Nonetheless, Cafe Istanbul is worth a visit. Very tasty, a but pricey.

1  Thank chiligarlicsauce
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We enjoyed our meal our in the summer of 2012, while on holiday. Service was attentive without being overly so. The menu is creative, interesting, authentic and excellent value. I'd go back in a wink, if I lived anywhere near this place. Unfortunately, I live across the Atlantic ocean. Next time we're in town, we'll be visiting the Cafe Istanbul again.

2  Thank RuadhCamel
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I can see why this restaurant has good reviews. The beti kebab I tried wasn't well cooked. I complained to the service people, they changed it for me. It was really good. Loved the turkish tea. The service was fast and friendly. If you love mediterranean cuisine, its definitely worth a shot.

2  Thank Samantha R
Reviewed December 11, 2012

A great local restaurant which we frequent often. Local Lamb done really well in many different fashions with service to match. Turkish beer adds a different touch with good wine at reasonable prices. A truly great local for us.

2  Thank GilbertsHFX