“Keep walking on South Park St”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Indochine Banh Mi

Indochine Banh Mi
Ranked #159 of 711 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese, Fusion, Soups
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Indochine's menu offers a unique fusion of Asian-inspired flavours that will satisfy the palates of ethnic food lovers, vegetarians and those seeking a healthy alternative to traditional fast-food. We have fresh, healthy and delicious menu options and avoid using prepared ingredients. Our menu consists of traditional Vietnamese fare including Banh Mi (sandwiches), Pho (soup) and Bun (Rice Noodle Bowls). We also serve Asian fusion items such as Korean Tacos, Fusion Salad Boxes and Bubble Tea.
Canada
“Keep walking on South Park St”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Not sure what is so great about this place. I went to get a lemongrass chicken rice wrap and the wrap crumbled into 100 pieces right before my eyes! All of the vegetables poured out onto the wrapping paper and I had to eat it by fork! The chicken tasted bland, nothing like actual lemongrass seasoning. Not to mention this place is so small and seats are very limited.

I wouldn't go here again.

• Visited July 2013
Sunlizard64, Owner at Indochine Banh Mi, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hello Ryan,

I am sorry that your did not enjoy the sandwich you recently purchased from us. The gluten free bread options are not as stable as our baguettes and unfortunately the wrap will sometimes break apart. This is an issue you will find with most if not all gluten free bread products. We provide the gluten free option due to customer demand, but they do not represent our core menu item, which is the traditional Banh Mi served on a crusty baguette. We usually warn customers that the wraps are fragile. Most gluten free customers are willing to risk the potential messy sandwich because they are happy to have the option of a gluten free Banh Mi.
With regard to your complaint about the Lemongrass Chicken being bland, the only explanation I can think of is the chicken did not marinate as long as usual. We cut and marinate our chicken daily so if we were very busy or sold more Lemongrass Chicken than expected around the time you visited, the chicken may not have been as flavourful as it normally would be.
I realize that it is not always practical to return to a restaurant to provide critical feedback and receive a replacement or refund, but we would have been happy to do either in this case.

New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Have it your way”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I was looking for a meal that I could take back to my hotel room one evening when I was in Halifax. Indochine was on the same block as my hotel. It is a small place with a limited menu but I was happy with what was offered. I loved that you could choose from a variety of options in terms of what you wanted in the sandwich - there were a number of meat and poultry options as well a a "vegetarian pate" for the protein. They also offered a whole wheat baguette option.The quality of the ingredients was good and it hit the spot for me that night. I recommend it for a quick and easy option.

Visited August 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“So fresh and delicious! Love it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

For a little location, Indochine is big and rich in colour with their design and food choices. This is the kind of place you order a special, take a seat and then people watch through the wall of glass as crowds go along South Park Street to the right.

My friend Emily highly recommended the Korean tacos and she knows her Korean food so I got the 2 tacos for $7.50 deal. I ordered the Bulgogi Beef and the Spicy BBQ Chicken.

These are the healthiest, tastiest and freshest tacos I have ever had! The sprouts were so crunchy and the flavours delicious. The Bulgogi Beef was very tasty but the Spicy BBQ Chicken was unbelievably delicious. Seriously, I have not enjoyed something that much in a long time. I wish I knew what that sauce was they used. Stunning! It is good I did not realize that it was the spicy option at the time or else I might not have had the guts to order it. Not super strong hot, just lots of great flavour.

Emily got the Jerk Chicken taco special and really liked it and Jen got her usual, the tofu taco and loved it. As usual.

To wash it all down I got a mango smoothie with I think pineapple and coconut water. This was my first introduction to coconut water at all. I liked the smoothie but there was a funkiness to it that I could not place back then. However, I am pretty sure now it was the coconut water.

Indochine Banh Mi makes their recipes from scratch and they were not kidding when they said the food was fresh, delicious and healthy. I would eat here every day if I could. I love it when a restaurant delivers on its foodie promises. Next time I will just skip the coconut water in the smoothie and everything will be perfect, I just know it. I give this restaurant experience four and a half out of five wooden spoons.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank suziethefoodie
Halifax, Canada
“Excellent.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Indochine Banh Mi is one of the best restaurants I've been to in awhile. Their flavours are amazing and their food is fresh and often locally sourced. I eat here at any chance I get and would choose eating here over all other restaurants in the area. I absolutely recommend trying this place out!! I try to bring new people with me whenever I visit and everyone I've taken there has also loved it.
Absolutely excellent.

• Visited February 2013
Vancouver
“Loved it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

We picked up a couple sandwiches from here before heading up to the Citadel. I got the chicken, and my friend go the spicy beef, they also have a veggie option. But it was amazing, they pickle all their vegetables themselves and it is the perfect combination of crunchy goodness. Their drinks are also made with real food and prices are extremely reasonable and SUPER nice servers!!

• Visited July 2012