“good hotel, great staff, nice city”

The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Reviewed August 19, 2006

I stayed at this Hotel in June as i was giving a lecture at the university and this is the Hotel they arranged for me.

I was impressed with the standard of the hotel, service and amenities. The front desk was friendly and efficient, the concierge knowledgable and helpful (recommended seafood restaurant which was amazing! 5 fish i think it was called).

The addition of a pool would be nice but as my stay was brief it did not trouble me, but for those who may need it i was told we could use the pool at their affiliated property close by.

If I am ever back in Halifax i will definitely return to this Hotel. And will highly recommend it to anyone i know going to Halifax

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank EdmontonDoc

Reviewed August 1, 2006

We stayed at this hotel during the last week of July 2006, and overall had a fine experience. After having considered several alternatives, we chose the Lord Nelson based on its reputation and location. It's right across the street from the public gardens, and equally important, it's right around the corner from Spring Garden Street, where some of the better restaurants and coffee shops are located. This made for many convenient and pleasant walks.

There are several fine hotels within a few blocks of the Lord Nelson that are closer to the waterfront, but first time visitors to downtown Halifax should note that these are located on fairly steep streets.

Our room was very acceptable and well appointed, and overall the service was fine. We had direct views of both the public gardens and the Citadel, and this was worth the extra cost. Breakfast at the hotel was OK, but note that there are much better choices just around the corner (especially the Deco restaurant).

Wireless internet is available for a fee, and unfortunately we were obliged to use it as the business center had only one functioning computer (this is an area the hotel needs to improve).

Overall, this is hotel remains our first choice in Halifax.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank SHM1776
Reviewed July 26, 2006

First, let me say that the Lord Nelson is a beautiful hotel with well-appointed rooms, a gorgeous old lobby with brass and dark wood, and in a great location right on the public garden where, in high summer, families stroll the lush grounds and in the morning kilted bagpipers play highland tunes (appropriate for "New Scotland.")

Also, as you read this, please keep in mind that I am the chief cook and bottlewasher of my own B&B, so when I critique service and attitude, I am on very firm ground. Trust me.

The hotel is well-situated for dining. We arrived on the train from Quebec and were quite tired and not feeling particularly adventurous for dinner. Using our trusty Frommer's guide, we followed the tourist template (something we sually don't do), and found the closest recommended restaurant. This was Il Mercato, owned by one of the top restauranteurs in Halifax, and it was literally right around the corner. This is a hotel review, but I want to put in a plug for this little Italian gem. It is a lovely bistro with tile floors. My mother had the recommended wild mushroom and chicken ravioli which was truly out of this world. I had a duck special--a thinly sliced, roasted lena duck breast with a special housemade chutney. It was outstanding! For dessert, diners are invited to walk up to two huge deli counters, one filled with desserts such as fruit tarts (one with these great local hard cherries), chocolate bombes, cheescakes, etc., and the other filled with eight flavors of gelato and four ices. My mom had caramel gelato and I had the pear ice. The whole bill came to under $50 Canadian without the wine, and we rolled back across the street. This meal was so good and value-priced, we came back four days later in the middle of our drive from Cape Breton to Lunenburg.

Okay, back to the hotel...

Our room was very clean and comfortable. We did not spring for the view (a "Room with a View" costs extra), so we had a less-than-delightful view of gravel-topped roofs in an interior courtyard. Still, I didn't come for the view, so just be aware that the alternative isn't pretty.

Maybe our service in Quebec province was so good everywhere, from cafes to the train to hotels to stores to, well, everywhere, that Nova Scotia just was a little more laid-back. In any case, the doormen at the Lord Nelson assiduously avoided eye contact with us (and other patrons) as we hauled our luggage up the front steps, through the front door (which we opened ourselves, even though the doorman was standing there..actually, there were 3 uniformed doormen standing about the lobby) and into the lobby. Only after wrestling with our bags for about 10 minutes while my mother checked in did someone offer to help us. At that point, I had already figured out how to get the bags onto the elevator without help. The same thing happened when we checked out and each time we came through the lobby. Every now and then some guest would be helped with baggage, but most often the doormen just stood around trying not to engage.

In the morning (we stayed only one night because we had not wanted to make the long drive to Cape Breton the same day we arrived), we ate in the charming pub downstairs. We had a hearty and fairly -priced (for a large city) breakfast of ham, eggs and homemade toasted wheat bread. The waitress also seemed to try to avoid contact (really, my mom and I are not hideous people!) and had to be actively flagged down for a first refill of coffee after she cruised past our table occasionally for about 15 minutes (coffee is, unfortunately, very important to us). The clincher, however, was that, right after the waitress cleared our breakfast plates, I looked down and saw a large FOOTPRINT in the middle of our table. This is the sort of thing that, if it had been found in my own inn, I would have jumped off the roof! Clearly there is a management issue at work here with the service staff.

• Stayed: July 2006
8  Thank Black_Agnes
A TripAdvisor Member
Nova Scotia
Reviewed May 30, 2006

You really get a sense of old Halifax at the Lord Nelson. The Lobby takes you back to another era and the stroll through the Public Gardens was worth the trip! Great service, lovely guest rooms and great food. Thanks for the stay.

Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 6, 2006

I stayed at this hotel on two separate nights in April. On my first I was given a decent (four-star) room with an awful (one-star) bathroom. The bathroom was so bad I was reluctant to stay again, but the warmth and great service from the staff was the saving grace. When I again checked in four days later I was offered the last remaining room in the hotel. It was a small room so I was offered it at a great price, but the bathroom was stunning. Definitely a four star (almost five star) room and bathroom (despite the small size). The bathrooms also feature a range of Aveda products which highlights how good this hotel could be if all the bathrooms were refurbished. The staff were very friendly and helpful, even remembering me from my previous visit and providing me with complimentary parking as a result. Definitely worth trying - but make sure you ask for a decent bathroom!

• Stayed: April 2006
10  Thank PFTraveller
Reviewed November 11, 2005

Our room was spacious and clean. The view was bad - looking out at a heating/cooling system in the middle of a closed courtyard. The staff were helpful and pleasant. The location was ideal for walking tours of the city. The Romance Package at the hotel is well worth the money and the room upgrade was appreciated.

We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2005
4  Thank saunderspl
Reviewed October 19, 2005

We made a 3-night stay at the Lord Nelson and found it quite pleasant. Rooms were a decent size, scrupulously clean and tidy. Our room was quiet, with a limited view of the harbour.

The staff was pleasant and helpful, but did not display either the robotic phraseology ("Hello-and-thank-you-for-staying-at-the-MegaHotel-How-may-I-abase-myself-for-you-today") or the attendant obsequiousness that has spread like a cancer through the service industry. They were helpful, real people.

The food is quite adequate, the coffee is dreadful.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business