Had some business in Halifax and a friend of mine who is living there urged me to stay here due to its proximity to his apartment. I was pretty discouraged by the steep prices but he got me a decent rate. While location was fantastic (right on Spring Garden), the hotel really wasn't.
Right off the bat, the first room I got was terribly small. Another room was arranged. I wasn't too fond of the cleanliness either. While the beds were clean enough, I distinctly remember wiping the sink to find that stain actually wasn't permanent. Television was pathetically ancient (with constant glare if the curtains were up), and no cable. No here's something incredibly stupid: the AC was right under the curtains and blew them up whenever it was on, which meant it was impossible to get some sleep with the sun up! Also had some issues with room service. They took forever to get to my room. Once they actually didn't do my room and I called to complain. They said they were very busy but would have someone do my room eventually. Nobody came.. Gym was absolutely disgusting. Internet was via cards the had the nerve to charge you for, but gave you for free if you insisted. Front desk people weren't very experienced.
But I have to admit location was what saved this place. I was literally a 2 minute walk from my friends front door. The hotel was also attached to a mall that had a cinema. Public gardens were right across. Also, there was a chauffeur available and the car was surprisingly classy (unlike the room).
I'm not going to say it's the worst hotel I've been in, but it was certainly a major disappointment. Definitely not worthy of a four star rating, and waaaaaay overpriced for what you get.
While it's location served me well, I will definitely stay somewhere else if I'm ever in Halifax again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Originally built in October 1928, the Lord Nelson Hotel is a legendary landmark in downtown Halifax located at the corner of Spring Garden Road and South Park Street across from the beautiful Public Gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lord Nelson Hotel And Suites
- The Lord Nelson Hotel Halifax
- Lord Nelson Halifax
- The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites Halifax, Nova Scotia