“Definitely a disappointment”

Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Halifax
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Definitely a disappointment”
Reviewed January 22, 2009

Had some business in Halifax and a friend of mine who is living there urged me to stay here due to its proximity to his apartment. I was pretty discouraged by the steep prices but he got me a decent rate. While location was fantastic (right on Spring Garden), the hotel really wasn't.

Right off the bat, the first room I got was terribly small. Another room was arranged. I wasn't too fond of the cleanliness either. While the beds were clean enough, I distinctly remember wiping the sink to find that stain actually wasn't permanent. Television was pathetically ancient (with constant glare if the curtains were up), and no cable. No here's something incredibly stupid: the AC was right under the curtains and blew them up whenever it was on, which meant it was impossible to get some sleep with the sun up! Also had some issues with room service. They took forever to get to my room. Once they actually didn't do my room and I called to complain. They said they were very busy but would have someone do my room eventually. Nobody came.. Gym was absolutely disgusting. Internet was via cards the had the nerve to charge you for, but gave you for free if you insisted. Front desk people weren't very experienced.

But I have to admit location was what saved this place. I was literally a 2 minute walk from my friends front door. The hotel was also attached to a mall that had a cinema. Public gardens were right across. Also, there was a chauffeur available and the car was surprisingly classy (unlike the room).

I'm not going to say it's the worst hotel I've been in, but it was certainly a major disappointment. Definitely not worthy of a four star rating, and waaaaaay overpriced for what you get.

While it's location served me well, I will definitely stay somewhere else if I'm ever in Halifax again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2008

We were very impressed by the appearance of the Lord Nelson Hotel upon arrival for a 2-day business trip. Parking was included with the room (a nice perk), and we were informed that we would have a suite. The rooms were nice and clean, wtih comfortable beds. The 'suite' was only a slightly larger room with sitting area (not a separate room). The bathroom was very small, with barely enough room for one person, let alone two. The bath/shower was adequate, but not luxurious. The service was quick, friendly and accurate.

My major complaints were with the food. We had dinner one night which was thoroughly mediocre and expensive. We also had breakfast the next morning which was terrible.

Overall, this was a nice hotel, but I would have expected a more luxurious room (especially bathroom) and MUCH better food for that price.

• Liked — Beautiful building, great location
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank FunkyMan3333
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2008

We stayed here for 5 nights in October 2007. The lobby and the front of the hotel are beautiful- classic older hotels with marble floors, inlaid decor etc. The hotel is in a perfect location within walking distance to attractions and across form the park.
The room we stayed in was nice enough, the bed was comfortable however we were disapointed to ntice that the room was not in very good condition. Small problems like outlets not working, and some garbage was found in the drawers of the nightstand.
However when we mentioned the garbage in the nightstand the hotel was extremely accomodating (WOW AMAZING service). They got us robes, extra large towels, turn down service and sent up a bottle of wine.
the front desk staff was helpful and friendly.
Overall we had a very good stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Great service!
  • Disliked — The decor is a bit outdated- but is getting renovated.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank jac2028
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2008

I stayed at the Lord Nelson in June 2007 for business purposes. I booked a room through a travel agent that bulk buys a number of rooms and it was one of the more expensive hotels that I stayed in while traveling across Canada.

The first room I stayed in was average, had a damp smell and worse of all had no desk. Since I was there for business a desk was very important! So I asked to be moved. The staff at the Lord Nelson were very accommodating and not only moved me, but upgraded me to a better room with a desk and a view.

I realise this next criticism is not so much about the Hotel so much but about the time i stayed there, but it may be useful to some people planning their travels. My last night there was a Friday night and I had to catch an early flight to New York the next morning. It just happened to be Prom night in Nova Scotia. I couldn't sleep all night because the students all hired rooms after the prom and spent the night running around the corridors. The staff tried to do as much as they could but they were swamped with a full hotel and crazy teens. It was also impossible to catch a taxi that night and there were traffic jams everywhere. I would avoid being there at this time again.

The pros - the staff were great. They hold a cocktail night for guests (and since I was traveling alone) it was nice to attend and meet the manager and other guests. The location is also fantastic, walking distance to shopping and the Dalhousie University. I enjoyed the restaurant downstairs.

Overall not a bad hotel, just a little expensive for what you get.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Joeygirl2
Rushden
Reviewed September 25, 2008

Lovely hotel in good area. All rooms at the back overlook an A/C unit that I think doesn't belong to the hotel. Even though there is double glazing it can be noisy for some rroms. We asked to be moved and were put on the side away from it.

• Liked — Style!
  • Disliked — Air conditioning noise in some rooms
  • Stayed September 2008
2 Thank jimbells
Coleshill, North Warwickshire
Reviewed September 18, 2008

We were more than happy with our stay at the Lord Nelson. We stayed before 2 years ago and were keen to return given the locality. Its perfect for sightseeing, eating out and shopping. We were especially pleased with the over sized room on the 9th floor with a fab view of Citadel Hill! After a 4 night stay in Aug we returned in Sept for 2 nights and couldn't believe our luck when we were allocated a newly refurbished suite on the 9th floor again! It was a little noisy at night given that it overlooked Spring Garden Road, but we figured that beggars can't be choosers!! The hotel staff are very friendly and knowledgeable. We love the Lord Nelson and hope to return in another couple of years.

• Liked — Room, comfy robes, free chocs and Aveda products!
  • Disliked — The noise from Spring Garden Road
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank JulieMT
Venice, CA
Reviewed September 7, 2008

When we arrived, we were told that we were randomly selected for a free upgrade which we accepted, of course. But we think that we would have been happier if we didn't upgrade, because we got sent to a condo building down the block. It was a large, clean condo unit (with washer & dryer and full kitchen), but the towels were skimpy, the phone could not reach the front desk of the hotel, and when we had pizza delivered by an outside pizzeria at about 1:00 am, the delivery guy had trouble getting into the bulding. The hotel itself seemed nice, but we didn't actually stay at the hotel. The upgrade would have been nice had we planned on staying more than one night.

Stayed August 2008