The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites
$186
Westin.com
$223
  • Pool
Coastal Inn Halifax(Halifax)(Great Value!)
$119
Cambridge Suites - Halifax(Halifax)
$232
Official Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Comfort Hotel Bayer's Lake(Halifax)(Great Value!)
$128
$117
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Free Internet
1,379 results
All reviewspublic gardensarms pubbeautiful parkspring garden roadhistoric hotelaveda toiletriesbeautiful lobbyan older hotelwithin walking distancenova scotiafront desk staffdowntown halifaxcomfortable hotelunderground parkinglocation is excellentcitadel hillvictory
Reviewed March 1, 2014

It's a beautiful lobby but that's about it. The rooms are in desperate need of renovations. The bathrooms are awful. I booked two adjoining rooms and it took three different staff members before they were able to open the doors (painted shut) between the rooms. I guess you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

My sincere apologies for your poor experience. We do offer connecting rooms which are used and doors opened regularly. I can fully appreciate your disappointment given how we handled your request. We are very proud of our rooms and committed to continually upgrading our product. We recently installed new drapes and added a small compact mini fridge in all rooms, replaced our 50+ sofa beds and chairs and added 47" inch smart TV to most of our suites. We have ideas to help make our few smaller bathrooms more inviting and few more surprises to increase the value our guests receive. I hope you will consider giving us another try and invite you to contact me directly if you wish to return since confident we would be able to change the perception we recently provided you.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed at the Lord Nelson because it was convenient for my hospital appointment the next morning. I was charged a 25.00 pet fee, which I didn't mind paying. I was told I got a discount because I had a letter with me for my app. I was also told I got the last room they had. got in the room it was so hot and I could not control the heat. I found hair everywhere, tub had hair all over it, carpet was dirty, dust everywhere. pee on the floor & down the front of the toilet, looked like it was there for a month anyway. told them when I checked out and the gild said she was so sorry, what ever! she gave me a voucher and said it was a free stay. I paid my bill and it totaled 180.00. did I get a discount or was I ripped off. I said that was an awful price to pay for such a dirty room, they didn't compensate me for 1 thing to make it right, not good. then I got to my car and looked and the free stay paper she handed me, it's not for a free stay, it's an upgrade for the next time I pay to stay. sorry, you do not get a good re-view from me till they make it right.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

My sincere apologies for the lack of cleanliness you experienced. We have very high standards which includes daily room inspections since I fully agree a dirty room is unacceptable. I hope you made a member of our team aware so we could move you to another room immediately. This also provides the opportunity to address any coaching required with helpful examples. We are very pleased to offer a discounted rate for hospital patients which is very competitive if not lower than most of the other downtown hotels. We love our central location which is in walking distance to most nearby medical facilities. I can appreciate your disappointment given expectation of something other than the complimentary upgrade voucher provided to you upon your departure. I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to meet your expectations and invite you to contact me directly to make your next reservation. Hope your medical visit exceeded expectations.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I love this place. Situated right across from the Public Gardens on Spring Garden Rd. it's located right in the heart of the city. The lobby is fantastic and reminds you of a past era where oppulence abounded. My wife and I stayed here last Saturday for a little pre-Valentine getaway and had a room on the top floor (9th). View of the Gardens and west of the city was fantastic. The room was fairly small but all we needed. The "Arms" is located off the lobby. It's a newly renovated English-style dining room/pub with excellent food and service. Our 3rd stay here...it won't be the last!!

Room Tip: 2nd hotel experience in a row where the batteries in the remote were dead. Maybe hotels should check this more often? Also, we were in room 926. Superior view but the bathroom had a bit of noise (air-conditioning or something else) going on behind a service panel in the wall. Not too loud with door closed though.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Darren M, Guest Relations Manager at The Lord Nelson Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Thank you Bernie for recent return visit and taking the time to share your comments. We recently added small fridges to all rooms and currently replacing all 50+ sofa beds which is a big investment. Our new ones were purchased from Simmons Canada which provide a Beautyrest mattress which is the best product available. Pleased you enjoyed "the Arms" which opened last Friday. This was also a huge investment which includes fresh new look and exciting new menu. My apologies for the dead batteries. This would be annoying. Our room attendants are expected to turn on TV using remote daily to ensure working properly. We make spare batteries easily available to avoid what you unfortunately experienced. Hope your guest enjoyed this very special valentine gift and grateful you will come stay with us again.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

I truly love this hotel - to me it's the very best in Halifax - everything about it is beautiful and historic from the lobby, to the rooms, to the view and the pub and patio. My husband and I had our very first date here many years ago and it's always a favourite for us. We had a great room on the top floor overlooking the public gardens. Comfy bed and the location is perfect. We also got to experience the newly renovated Arms pub. What a wonderful makeover! They put in windows and increased the seating but kept the British charm we love. The breakfast in the morning was perfect, staff are fantastic, friendly and genuine. We only live 10 minutes up the street in the north end, but we'll be back. We frequently go to the pub for dinner before movies or quiet drinks after - we love it! Highly recommend the hotel to tourists and family visiting for a truly beautiful Halifax experience - this is the place.

Room Tip: We always try to get a view of the public gardens, but there are no bad rooms here, the view over Spring Garden Road is wonderful too.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Very rewarding to know our hotel means so much to you and your husband. You described what we want our guests to experience perfectly. I'm very proud of our service, product and staff. I posted your comments for all our employees to enjoy. We have received only glowing reviews of the recent renovations of the Arms and agree important that we maintain its character. Grateful we will always a special place in your heart and really appreciate the time you took to share your experience. Happy Valentines Day!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Wow is the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about the Lord Nelson. After being at the hospital for 3 months I left and came to the Lord Nelson Hotel. The welcome I received was fantastic along with the smiles and great service. My girlfriend and I stay at top hotels around the world ranging from the Raffles Hotel and the Savoy to the Four Seasons and the Ritz Carlton so when I decided to stay at the Lord Nelson my expectation wasn't the highest. I must sat that it exceeded my expectation and much more. I arrived 4 hours before check in time and they had a room blocked and ready for me. The Front Desk agents, Safaa and Maria, welcomed me with smiles that can be seen a mile away. They insisted that I call if I need anything and they came out from behind the desk to give me my room keys. Them along with the Manager on Duty, Chad, and the entire staff and concierge made me feel at home and not want to leave. I must say that a chain name isn't what should be looked for. Its a great hotel like this one with a perfect flawless service that matters. Even every housekeeping staff member welcomed me with a smile and went out of their way in different ways to help. Now I cant wait to return and enjoy another experience with them. The location is spectacular. The most vibrant street is around the corner and all attractions and restaurants are with in minutes away walking.

Room Tip: Ask about upgrade offers at check in. Will save you over $100 to upgrade to an amazing suite
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank IssamK1

Wow, reading your comments are extremely gratifying. My staff shared you are a very special person and they simply wanted you to enjoy your first night away from your hospital bed. Pleased we exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed the upgrade you purchased. It's nice that you remember names which highlight the impact of personalizing each experience. Hope you found our product accessible and able to get around with no discomfort. I posted your comments and noticed many smiles from staff who either read it for themselves of heard about it from a friend and co-worker. Hope your recovery is exceeding expectations and please continue to come stay with us since confident our staff would love to see you again. Hope you enjoy the upcoming special occasion and able to make it a memorable occasion.